Options

The Pen

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited May 21, 2006 in Technique
Oh me... I bought one of those Pen pads. It' 4x5 surface and although it's WONDERFUL, it made me realize just how un-coordinated I really am. When I use it I feel like I have drain bamage :rofl

I'm hoping I get used to it and I can loose the training wheels before long.

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:
    Oh me... I bought one of those Pen pads. It' 4x5 surface and although it's WONDERFUL, it made me realize just how un-coordinated I really am. When I use it I feel like I have drain bamage rolleyes1.gif

sweet... what all can you use it for? i've been thinking about one of those...
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Daniel,

Well you can pretty much throw away the mouse mwink.gif...

it makes photo touch up about 100 times better since it's pressure sensitive and all.

Very outstanding product.

DanielB wrote:
    sweet... what all can you use it for? i've been thinking about one of those...
  • Options
    WeezyriderWeezyrider Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 28, 2006
    What tablet? If you got the Graphire I thought those came with a puck mouse. I have an old Wacom ArtZII that only had the pen. Still works great(knock on wood). I also have an old Acecat which had a tethered pen.
    You will love it. You can also customize the feel, etc. of the pen.
    Weezy
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    I have an old Wacom Graphite tablet and it came with a mouse (wireless) and a pen....I stashed the mouse somewhere (cause I have been spoiled by my trackball) and use the pen and tablet alot...as said above...much easier for retouching than a mouse or trackball....got mine used about 2 yrs ago had to go to wacom for drivers, but it is still working fine.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SamuraiJackSamuraiJack Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:
    Oh me... I bought one of those Pen pads. It' 4x5 surface and although it's WONDERFUL, it made me realize just how un-coordinated I really am. When I use it I feel like I have drain bamage rolleyes1.gif

Trust me, its takes a bit to really get used to drawing tablets. When I first got mine, I couldn't draw a straight line with it. Now however, I'm a lot more comfortable with it. I do photo touchups as well as artwork with mine and couldnt appreciate it more.

Heres an example of what it can do for artwork. This piece is entirely digital, lines done in Photoshop and coloring done in Corel Painter. You can also check out my blog for more pictures drawn/edited using a tablet.

My blog is www.cartoonnerd.blogspot.com
    Wes Stewart
    Canon 20D
    580ex
    Canon 50 f1.8 MkII
    Canon 70-200 f4L
    www.pbase.com/wesstewart
  • Options
    AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    If you want examples of what you can draw with a tablet, check out http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137 as most/all of these are done with a tablet and are amazing.
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    for those of you who have one is there a certain size you guys recommend? certain brand?ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Actually, I think that on the Wacom site they recommend certain sizes depending on monitor size....however I would personally recommend getting the largest you can afford....or get their Cintiq LCD Tablet....That is how I plan to go next, that way you are working directly on the photo.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    sthigsthig Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Just fyi, I use a tablet pc (for business) and it's also a godsend to flip around your monitor and edit on the screen--on the fly.

I have a 12" tobishba portege and while I do not recommend it (it's really, really buggy as it's a first model Tablet PC), the new ones are ace. When money presents itself, I'm upgrading. But I have to admit, for 4.5 and the ability to draw right on the screen at my bidding, it doesn't leave me (I carry it everywhere).

And yes it helps with touchups in photoshop however I use it mainly for my biz (as stated above):

all pictures here (www.sthig.com) were created on my 12" tabletPC
    -Scott
    photos: Scojobo.com
    illos: sThig.com