Options

Bad Call Harryb

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited April 30, 2006 in Wildlife
Are You Now Going To Change The Title Of Every Thread In This Forum That Has A Title That People Dont Like....

I Think Its A Mistake To Do That!

WHAT ABOUT CASPER PLAYING WITH HIS BALLS?

Troy

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    Are You Now Going To Change The Title Of Every Thread In This Forum That Has A Title That People Dont Like....

I Think Its A Mistake To Do That!

WHAT ABOUT CASPER PLAYING WITH HIS BALLS?

Troy

Sorry you feel that way Troy but I felt Jack's complaint had some merit. There have been a number of threads I felt that way about but didn't act on because no one else was complaining. I felt it was just juvemile humor at best, I would say High School locker room humor but we had outgrown that by the time we hit HS.

Personally I curse a blue streak and most parents keep their children outside of hearing range from me. When we go on Dgrin (a PG rated site) we can't use language as freely as we would in other places. Again sorry that it bothers you. I was in the midst of sending you a PM on the change but my wife needed my assistance with something so I got called away from the keyboard. I apologize for not gettingg a PM off to you before you saw the change.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    That thread has been around for 4 months and no complaints and lady photogs particating also...and the title is changed due to one complaint....unbelievable.....I konw and undertand a pg rating here, but I guess I am one of the few that grew up being taught that these feathery little creatures were "peckers" and it wasn't until I got to jr. high in the backwoods of ARkansas that I learned what that term meant to the gutterminded.

All the birders I have ever known and their children use this terminology.

I am disappointed in you Harry, especially since you had allowed it to be here for 4 months and none of the really powerful here seemed to have a proble with it.

But you are the mod. and it is a thankless job.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    I'm with windoze on this one. Windoze, can you edit your post and put the original title back?
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    JCDoss wrote:
    I'm with windoze on this one. Windoze, can you edit your post and put the original title back?
    IF I COULD I WOULDNT, I RESPECT HARRY TOO MUCH FOR THAT!
    its that if you follow the thread, i do not think it was too suggestive. it did have it moments, but i tried to keep it on track. Ive become used to calling woodpeckers, peckers.... but many i guess have not. when i chose the title, i thought it a little humorous, i did not think it was vulgar...... when i read harry's response to samuraijack in the thread, i felt Harryb was a little too quick to change it....
    he is the mod and retains my respect ( but i disagree with his choice ) ....

troy
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Guys,

For the most part, Dgrin is extremely little-moderated, that's a good thing. Harry made a decision about his forum, it's his to make. There are more important things to worry about than this.

Let's stick to the photos and move on.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Guys,

For the most part, Dgrin is extremely little-moderated, that's a good thing. Harry made a decision about his forum, it's his to make. There are more important things to worry about than this.

Let's stick to the photos and move on.
    Im ready to move on.......

but i feel sorry for his house.....

67030086-M.jpg

troy
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Sorry you feel that way Troy but I felt Jack's complaint had some merit. There have been a number of threads I felt that way about but didn't act on because no one else was complaining. I felt it was just juvemile humor at best, I would say High School locker room humor but we had outgrown that by the time we hit HS.

Personally I curse a blue streak and most parents keep their children outside of hearing range from me. When we go on Dgrin (a PG rated site) we can't use language as freely as we would in other places. Again sorry that it bothers you. I was in the midst of sending you a PM on the change but my wife needed my assistance with something so I got called away from the keyboard. I apologize for not gettingg a PM off to you before you saw the change.

Harry, your act of censorship is very suspicious. you are a birder and I'm sure you and your friends call them peckers just like I'm sure you and your birder friends call wood ducks woody's. Its in common use by people who spend time around birds. People can be sophomorish about things like that, that is out of control of the person who creates the thread, yet you punish him and not all of the posters. Additionally, if you are going to do it to thread you need to do it to all threads.

If you are going to use the term PG, you should probably understand its definition, here is the first paragraph:

"PG:"Parental Guidance Suggested. Some Material May Not Be Suitable For Children."

This is a film that clearly needs to be examined or inquired into by parents before they let their children attend. The label PG plainly states that parents may consider some material unsuitable for their children, but the parent must make the decision."

What is interesting is the definition of G, which is extremely applicable here because of a word in common usage:

"G:"General Audiences-All Ages Admitted."

This is a film which contains nothing in theme, language, nudity and sex, violence, etc. which would, in the view of the Rating Board, be offensive to parents whose younger children view the film. The G rating is not a "certificate of approval," nor does it signify a children's film.

Some snippets of language may go beyond polite conversation but they are common everyday expressions. No stronger words are present in G-rated films. The violence is at a minimum. Nudity and sex scenes are not present; nor is there any drug use content."

So to some up my long post, to moderate effectively, you need to be consistent and accurate with what you think is acceptable.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    SamuraiJackSamuraiJack Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Woah, sorry to cause so much trouble here. I wasn't originally even asking anyone to change the title. As a new member, I know I certainly don't have any "rights" like that at all.

I was expressing a bit of puzzlement over the lack of maturity in that particular thread. It honestly reminded me of a bunch of high schoolers, hence my comment.

I also thank Harry for at least responding to me and agreeing that maybe everyone was being a bit out of line.

Like I said, after sifting through several pages of woodpeckers all with captions such as, "I think this is the biggest pecker" and seeing replies such as "well you do have a great pecker - don't ya!", "anybody who has more than one pecker deserves a big clap.gif", and "You got a huge pecker and so colorful!", I came to the conlusion that it was a bit overboard and unnecessary, not to mention childish and immature.

If you have problems with a new member suggesting that something is out of line, please tell me and I'll keep my comments to myself.
    Wes Stewart
    Canon 20D
    580ex
    Canon 50 f1.8 MkII
    Canon 70-200 f4L
    www.pbase.com/wesstewart
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 30, 2006
    It's a thankless job, Harry.ne_nau.gif No pleasin' everyone.:uhoh

And consistency is the hobgoblin of mediocrity:D rolleyes1.gif:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Harry, your act of censorship is very suspicious. you are a birder and I'm sure you and your friends call them peckers just like I'm sure you and your birder friends call wood ducks woody's. Its in common use by people who spend time around birds. People can be sophomorish about things like that, that is out of control of the person who creates the thread, yet you punish him and not all of the posters. Additionally, if you are going to do it to thread you need to do it to all threads.

If you are going to use the term PG, you should probably understand its definition, here is the first paragraph:

"PG:"Parental Guidance Suggested. Some Material May Not Be Suitable For Children."

This is a film that clearly needs to be examined or inquired into by parents before they let their children attend. The label PG plainly states that parents may consider some material unsuitable for their children, but the parent must make the decision."

What is interesting is the definition of G, which is extremely applicable here because of a word in common usage:

"G:"General Audiences-All Ages Admitted."

This is a film which contains nothing in theme, language, nudity and sex, violence, etc. which would, in the view of the Rating Board, be offensive to parents whose younger children view the film. The G rating is not a "certificate of approval," nor does it signify a children's film.

Some snippets of language may go beyond polite conversation but they are common everyday expressions. No stronger words are present in G-rated films. The violence is at a minimum. Nudity and sex scenes are not present; nor is there any drug use content."

So to some up my long post, to moderate effectively, you need to be consistent and accurate with what you think is acceptable.

Thanks for your opinion Bob. First Troy was not censored. I merely added wood to pecker.Nothing was removed. I call birds lots of things when I'm out shooting. You should hear what I say when one takes off before I can get my shot off.

In real life I say lots of things I wouldn't post here. I try to keep the forum a place where as many as possible can be comfortable. Before I changed the title I asked a few folks what they thought and they found the title to be offensive.

I am not happy with the balls title nor am I happy with the tit thread either. I responded to this one thread when someone complained. I try to stay in the background as much as possible and almost never make any changes to a thread unless requested.

Personally except for the juvenile nature of the title I'm not bothered by it. However there are others who may be bothered by it. I have to take that into consideration. I am merely trying to keep the forum a place that is comfortable for as many as possible.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    A small amount of what in the UK is called seaside humour. Harmless double meaning that can raise a smile but is not ment to cause offence and should be viewed as such.
    I'm not keen on any title change but as it's done it's finished with now.

I must post a complaint about calling Gary Fong one pitiful bully for all to gawp at over in the news section. Backed up by the usual misserable mod calling him pathetic.
    I guess one persons offence is anothers fair comment.

My vote goes for a PG rate as the youngest poster here looks like DanB and he's here to grow up and learn a few things.

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Bodwick wrote:
    Backed up by the usual misserable mod calling him pathetic.

Bod.

That would be me. Mr. Misery, to you, Bodwick.

Point taken, post removed. Thanks.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    That would be me. Mr. Misery, to you, Bodwick.

Point taken, post removed. Thanks.

Ok sir, thanks for that, although your entitled to say whatever you want. I'm a big fan of free speech.

Bod.
    friday.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."

• Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    Bodwick wrote:
    Ok sir, thanks for that, although your entitled to say whatever you want. I'm a big fan of free speech.

Bod.
    friday.gif

hey, is miserable kinda like pathetic?

just sayin'.....

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    hey, is miserable kinda like pathetic?

just sayin'.....

:D

Well, pathetic is worse than miserable but put together i.e. being say, pathetic and miserable would be quite offensive. I can be as miserable as the next man but am never pathetic...rolleyes1.gif

Can I take this moment to be a smart arse and point out that to call someone's post 'obtuse' means stupid. 'abstruse' means difficult to understand. An easy mistake and I'm sure you meant the latter. I forget the post. thumb.gif

I'll buy you a beer one day and we can chat about the wierd English language and how easily wars can start over a few missunderstood words.:slurp

:soapbox rolleyes1.gif
    Bod...

• Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    Bodwick wrote:
    Well, pathetic is worse than miserable but put together i.e. being say, pathetic and miserable would be quite offensive. I can be as miserable as the next man but am never pathetic...rolleyes1.gif

Can I take this moment to be a smart arse and point out that to call someone's post 'obtuse' means stupid. 'abstruse' means difficult to understand. An easy mistake and I'm sure you meant the latter. I forget the post. thumb.gif

I'll buy you a beer one day and we can chat about the wierd English language and how easily wars can start over a few missunderstood words.:slurp

:soapbox rolleyes1.gif
    Bod...

Well, obtuse means both. Although you may be right about it's primary meaning (emphasis added by me).

obtuse |?b?t(y)o?s; äb-| adjective 1 annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand : he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse. See note at stupid . • difficult to understand : some of the lyrics are a bit obtuse.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    Oh, and BTW, have you ever seen the Visual Thesaurus? I love that site.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, obtuse means both. Although you may be right about it's primary meaning (emphasis added by me).

obtuse |?b?t(y)o?s; äb-| adjective 1 annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand : he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse. See note at stupid . • difficult to understand : some of the lyrics are a bit obtuse.

[Tangent]
    My favority use of obtuse is in the movie Shawshank Redemption when Andy Dufresne says it to Warden Norton and then the Warden goes on about taking away all of the liberties like the library. :)
    [/Tangent]
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Oh, and BTW, have you ever seen the Visual Thesaurus? I love that site.

I'll give it a go. I'm not one to talk as my spelling can be terrible (atrocious, dreadful, horrendous, frightful etc) at times.
    This tool could do 'terrible' things to my future posts. You should have kept it quietrolleyes1.gif

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Out grown HS Locker room Humor, ARE YOU KIDDING !!! :wow
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    Out grown HS Locker room Humor, ARE YOU KIDDING !!! :wow

"When I was a child I spoke as a child I understood as a child I thought as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things." I Cor. xiii. 11.

15524779-Ti.gif

When I break out the Bible look out! rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    "When I was a child I spoke as a child I understood as a child I thought as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things." I Cor. xiii. 11.

15524779-Ti.gif

When I break out the Bible look out! rolleyes1.gif

I retort,

ARE YOU KIDDING, TWICE !!! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :lol rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    bfjr wrote:
    I retort,

ARE YOU KIDDING, TWICE !!! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :lol rolleyes1.gif

Somewhat. I would love to log onto Dgrin and talk like myself and not have to turn on my profanity filter when I post here. I would have a better time and probably communicate a lot more clearly.

Alas I have to realize that the site is not just for myself and a goodly number of folks would be offended by my normal use of language. I'm not looking to turn the forum into white bread land but I do think we have to take the sensibilities of others into consideration when we post.

The only thing that offends me is mean spiritedness toward others. I find the recent use of pecker, balls and tit to be more juvenile than offensive. However there are those who are offended and made uncomfortable by such use of language. I just feel that their sensibilities should also be considered.

That's my posiiton and if you don't like it you can kiss my ....... rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    If the complaints about the change outnumber the the complaints that caused the change, you made the wrong move. But it is your forum and you have the right to do what you see right. People who disagree have the choice to move on.

My issue is that this is a perfect example of not doing what's actually right, but listening to a very small, vocal group who realize that complaining will get a kneejerk reaction. The FCC and the superbowl debacle is a perfect example. The backlash fueled by a small segment of the public is finally being challenged. If you watch some old comedic televison shows and movies too often you would find yourself thinking they could never make that today.

Things should be based on majority and not just the most vocal majority. People who don't care to complain a lot should not have to suffer at the voice of those who do. Thus we put people in power that should know the difference and act accordingly.

Making this a family forum and banning vulgarity and such is fine, but censoring innuendo and "juvenile humor" is a little severe. I personally dislike Jim Carey and Adam Sandler movies because of their "juvenile humor", but they are blockbusters and it isn't just kids going to see them.

When you become a man you take on responsibilty for yourself and others that rely on you. If you completely put away the child, you put away curiousity, dreams of the future, and a special innocence that you can use to help you deal with the harsh realities of life. We are all children, just children with more responsibilities and worries.

If one is a responsible adult and does what is needed for themself and loved ones and follows the laws of society, one should be able to enjoy a little fun that doesn't harm anyone. Not liking something doesn't make it harmful.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    :booze :soapbox :bs :deadhorse :bigbs :slosh :hack beer.gif :hung :dgrin :flush ylsuper.gif :slurp friday.gifFLIPA.gif :whip :smack 11doh.gif

There's no high school humor on dgrin.....lol3.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    If the complaints about the change outnumber the the complaints that caused the change, you made the wrong move. But it is your forum and you have the right to do what you see right. People who disagree have the choice to move on.

My issue is that this is a perfect example of not doing what's actually right, but listening to a very small, vocal group who realize that complaining will get a kneejerk reaction. The FCC and the superbowl debacle is a perfect example. The backlash fueled by a small segment of the public is finally being challenged. If you watch some old comedic televison shows and movies too often you would find yourself thinking they could never make that today.

Things should be based on majority and not just the most vocal majority. People who don't care to complain a lot should not have to suffer at the voice of those who do. Thus we put people in power that should know the difference and act accordingly.

Making this a family forum and banning vulgarity and such is fine, but censoring innuendo and "juvenile humor" is a little severe. I personally dislike Jim Carey and Adam Sandler movies because of their "juvenile humor", but they are blockbusters and it isn't just kids going to see them.

When you become a man you take on responsibilty for yourself and others that rely on you. If you completely put away the child, you put away curiousity, dreams of the future, and a special innocence that you can use to help you deal with the harsh realities of life. We are all children, just children with more responsibilities and worries.

If one is a responsible adult and does what is needed for themself and loved ones and follows the laws of society, one should be able to enjoy a little fun that doesn't harm anyone. Not liking something doesn't make it harmful.

To make it quite clear it was my decision. I was unhappy with the thread when it was first posted. I did nothing because it usually sank to page 3 quite quickly but when Troy kept resurrecting it I decided to make the change because I felt it was in bad taste. It was a small change and hardly an attack on creativity or the wonders of childhood curiousity. The only knee jerk reaction that I'm seeing is from folks who trying to equate it with the FCC.
    Harry
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    C'mon folks, get over it. The thread wasn't deleted. One word was changed.
    Don't use the argument that the majority rules. You can't have the inmates
    running the prison.

Harry's running the show, been doing a fine job at it for quite some time, so
    how about giving him a little slack.

Lets just get back to posting pictures. :D

66923894-L.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.