Options

D-200 and SB-600 flash issue

GventureGventure Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited May 1, 2006 in Technique
I'm new to creative use of lighting so this may be a weird question

When I'm using my SB-600 as a slave, I have to use a master on the camera right? I mean, I can't push the built in flash down and fire the slave SB-600? Aren't there situations where you just don't want straight on flash from the camera (maybe using several SB-600 to the sides and behind the subject) and if so, do I just cover it up with something and let the slaves fire?

Thanks, G

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Welcome to Digital Grin.
    I don't own a D200, but my understanding is that when you use the camera in COMMANDER mode, the on board pop up flash is only used as a preflash to signal the off camera unit (your SB600). Your pop up flash should not contribute to the lighting of your photo. The only problem I had with this situation was that fast blinking people tended to close their eyes during the preflash.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 28, 2006
    There is a setting in the main menu that allows you to set the output of each flash. By default the onboard does contribute. But, you can turn this off by setting the onboard flash output from TTL to --
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GventureGventure Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    There is a setting in the main menu that allows you to set the output of each flash. By default the onboard does contribute. But, you can turn this off by setting the onboard flash output from TTL to --

Ah - I tried it and of course that was the solution - perfect!

Thanks,

Gavin
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 1, 2006
    Now that you have that set... A warning. Even though it is turned off, you may still catch some of the control flash in your photo. But, it is not enough to really worry about. I was playing around taking photos of my camera in a mirror and found this out.

I sat the SB-800 on the counter as a fill flash and turned off the on camera flash. I was still catching a small amount of the control flash in the image. It looked like I was catching the bulb as it was cooling down after the flash.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com