Options

Scanner Advice

candersoncanderson Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited May 1, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I need advise on purchasing a new scanner since my multi-function quit. I have decided to go stand alone rather than multi. On that note, I have win XP, but would love to go to MAC if I ever could afford too.

What I am interested in is a flatbed that can scan film (35mm and maybe in the future medium format?). Price needs to be as low as possible since I am on a limted budget. What should I be looking for? :dunno
Chris Anderson
Canon EOS 20D
http://www.lazycreekphoto.com

Teddy Roosevelt Revised: "Walk softly and carry a big lens."

Comments

• Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    Winning Lottery Ticket
    But you can still borrow mine if you need it.
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    canderson wrote:
    I need advise on purchasing a new scanner since my multi-function quit. I have decided to go stand alone rather than multi. On that note, I have win XP, but would love to go to MAC if I ever could afford too.

What I am interested in is a flatbed that can scan film (35mm and maybe in the future medium format?). Price needs to be as low as possible since I am on a limted budget. What should I be looking for? ne_nau.gif

USB2.0 High Speed- I think most have this.

As much OPTICAL resloution as you can afford. Don't be swayed be really big numbers if they are interpolated and not true optical resolutions.

And of course how they handle film.

Just go to Cnet, or PCMag or some other website, google for scanner reviews.

It's going to come down to how much resolution you can afford.

Gene
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    canderson wrote:

What I am interested in is a flatbed that can scan film (35mm and maybe in the future medium format?). Price needs to be as low as possible since I am on a limted budget. What should I be looking for? ne_nau.gif

Take a look at the Epsons....know any one employed by a school district (teacher, secretary, janitor...doesn't matter), they could purchase one for you thru Academic Superstore (www.academicsuperstore.com) a lor cheaper than thru retail store.

Not knowing your budget makes it hard....Personally I am saving for an Epson 4990 Pro - it is like $499 ot 599.......you can find them for under$100, but you must ask your self how large of a print to I want to make or are they ONLY going to be viewed on a computer and NEVER see being printed for hanging on a wall.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website