New Firmware 1.0.3 for Canon 1DMkll

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
edited October 14, 2004 in Cameras
There is new firmware for the Canon 1DMkll, version 1.0.3 here http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/eos1dmk2_firmware-e.html

This new firmware is to adress the following points...

Added new functions for communicating with the Speedlite 580EX
Reduced noise when shooting bulb exposures
Fixed sensor-cleaning operations

Be the first on your block :D -

After the difficulty with 1.0.4 for the 20D, I might wait a few days or weeks until I hear from those who have ventured forth ahead of me into this uncharted territory. But, ultimately I will install the new firware myself also, barring negative reports.
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2004
    I'm getting closer. I'd say Andy will beat me to it, but I'm getting closer.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    After the difficulty with 1.0.4 for the 20D, I might wait a few days or weeks until I hear from those who have ventured forth ahead of me into this uncharted territory. But, ultimately I will install the new firware myself also, barring negative reports.

Same here, just waiting, but it should be ok. I will probably do it early next week, any problems should be out by then. I wonder when we will see the first 580EX? I think I want one. nod.gifdeal.gifumph.gif
    edited October 13, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    S I wonder when we will see the first 580EX? I think I want one. nod.gifdeal.gifumph.gif
    I'm shocked to hear that. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    There is new firmware for the Canon 1DMkll, version 1.0.3 here http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/eos1dmk2_firmware-e.html

Used a Mac Powerbook -> 1G Microdrive and all went well. Simple and painless
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited October 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm shocked to hear that. naughty.gif

I am glad someone is, someday I will have an even dozen. rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Is Andy looking at getting a 1DmkII? We could start our own click. rolleyes1.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2004
    how smart of you, sid!
    wxwax wrote:

i almost pulled the trigger on a used mk2 this week, but then flip-flopped and decided to buy more glass.

then flip-flopped again, seeing that the prices new are down 'round $4100 now.

and, there's the 1ds mk2, ff, maybe just take the damn plunge when that baby comes out.

sigh.

i really like the form factor of the 20d, no grip, and all the image quality and noise perf of the 20d really turns me on. i just want the same in a ff or even a 1.3x body.

yeh, i'm on the wait list for a 580ex as well. ....
    edited October 13, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i almost pulled the trigger on a used mk2 this week, but then flip-flopped and decided to buy more glass.

then flip-flopped again, seeing that the prices new are down 'round $4100 now.

and, there's the 1ds mk2, ff, maybe just take the damn plunge when that baby comes out.

sigh.

i really like the form factor of the 20d, no grip, and all the image quality and noise perf of the 20d really turns me on. i just want the same in a ff or even a 1.3x body.

yeh, i'm on the wait list for a 580ex as well. ....

I really like my 1DmkII's. I think I am going to sell my 1Ds, I just do not use it enough now. I would like to have a third camera, I may pick up a 20D, then I get the extra FF (keeping me from buying really long glass) and a back up camera.

I want to see the 580EX first, but I am sure I will buy one in a couple months, or sooner. umph.gif
    edited October 13, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I really like my 1DmkII's. I think I am going to sell my 1Ds, I just do not use it enough now. I would like to have a third camera, I may pick up a 20D, then I get the extra FF (keeping me from buying really long glass) and a back up camera.

I want to see the 580EX first, but I am sure I will buy one in a couple months, or sooner. umph.gif
    hmmm... To go with my 1DMII a 20d with a 400 DO f4.0L hanging off it.... no! no! no! Do not make me think about it.... arrrggghhh
    :thwak
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 13, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    hmmm... To go with my 1DMII a 20d with a 400 DO f4.0L hanging off it.... no! no! no! Do not make me think about it.... arrrggghhh
    :thwak
    That sounds remarkably familiar:D ....... How about the 70-300 DO as an alternative - The 70-300 on the 20D is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the 400 DO - but not as long nor as fast nor quite as sharp I suspect. Too little time, too many choices thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 13, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:

I thought it was strange how they want you to enter a serial number. No other
    Canon product asks that question.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 14, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    cmr164 wrote:
    That sounds remarkably familiar:D ....... How about the 70-300 DO as an alternative - The 70-300 on the 20D is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the 400 DO - but not as long nor as fast nor quite as sharp I suspect. Too little time, too many choices thumb.gif
    No, I already have the 1DMII with the 24-70 2.8L and the 70-200 IS 2.8L. I sold the 100-400L in Sep and the 85 1.2L next week... So I am agonizing over the 4.3 lb '400 f4 DO IS' and the 8.5 lb '500 f4L IS' add in the 1.6 factor of the 20d and putting the 400 DO on it would still be a lot lighter than the 500 f4.
    edited October 14, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I thought it was strange how they want you to enter a serial number. No other
    Canon product asks that question.

ian

I have had to enter a serial number for different firmware and software updates from Canon.
    edited October 14, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I have had to enter a serial number for different firmware and software updates from Canon.
    In the past, I've downloaded firmware for the 10d and s50 with no questions.
    Entering the s/n lets you know if the camera is updated or not. Which is a good
    thing.

ian
    edited October 14, 2004
    andy wrote:

I did it.
    Sid.
    edited October 14, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I did it.
    A lot of that going around :D

ian