Options

Is this a SpamBot???

peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
edited May 3, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have been seeing this over & over in my stats the last 2 weeks or so. Its in there hundreds of times daily, eating up my bandwith. I cant imagine this is a person doing this.

reston.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    I have been seeing this over & over in my stats the last 2 weeks or so. Its in there hundreds of times daily, eating up my bandwith. I cant imagine this is a person doing this.

reston.jpg
    Sorry Kerry, dunno. It's likely a search indexer.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006

reston.jpg
    All AOL-users come from those various AOL-proxy servers - the people get assigned to different proxy-servers all the time. It is very likely that the 2 visitiors you listed above are the very same person that has been assigned to different proxy servers while surfing your site.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    All AOL-users come from those various AOL-proxy servers - the people get assigned to different proxy-servers all the time. It is very likely that the 2 visitiors you listed above are the very same person that has been assigned to different proxy servers while surfing your site.

Sebastian
    But they never view more than a couple pages at a time & it looks like this literally hundreds of times daily. ne_nau.gif Seems if it were a real person doing it, they would be some times when they look at more than 3-4 pages per visit.

It just seems odd.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    But they never view more than a couple pages at a time & it looks like this literally hundreds of times daily. ne_nau.gif Seems if it were a real person doing it, they would be some times when they look at more than 3-4 pages per visit.

It just seems odd.

Maybe they linked your photo in their own webpage or blog
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    I'd view that as possibly two distinct viewers, but not the way whatever tool that is broke them up. From my own server logs watching my wife's grandparents looking at stuff on our server (only user from AOL that would know about it) they will happily load ballance a single user across more than one proxy server. So they hit a gallery at 12:01:28, then another at 12:02:36, and a third at 12:04:01... from two different proxies. Then they either came back at 12:28:45 and 12:29:49, or some other user came by.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/