Options

Help a guy out, hmmm?

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited May 4, 2006 in Finishing School
OK so one of our pros, his name is Clint aka "Cheerdad" he needs some help perfecting his in-post routine for skin tones and general color, tone and contrast adjustments. I told him that the crew here loves to work on images, and share their knowledge.

Let's see what you all can do with this image, aiming for good skin tone, nice contrast, and background that's not grey, but white. Extra points for using FEWER steps, and for this example, please, we'd like to see RGB workflow, not LAB.

67470396-L.jpg

here's a 4 minute edit:
1) bumped the blacks in the dress by about 50 (selective color)
2) selected the background, blew it out with levels adjustment
3) adjusted skin tone
4) slight curves adjustment, trying to improve the tonal range in her face.

67648477-L.jpg

I'd like to learn, too - so if you have better ways, please share them :deal

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    1- Replace colors
    2- History brush
    3-contrast
    4- Saturation (selective color)
    5-curves

rolleyes1.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    • Levels and brought the end points in slightly
    • slight S curve
    • Contrast +3
    • used Select>Color Range to select the red in her face and then used Color Balance to reduce the red and add a little yellow
    • again used Select>Color Range but selected the background and used curves to make it white.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    OK so one of our pros, his name is Clint aka "Cheerdad" he needs some help perfecting his in-post routine for skin tones and general color, tone and contrast adjustments. I told him that the crew here loves to work on images, and share their knowledge.

Let's see what you all can do with this image, aiming for good skin tone, nice contrast, and background that's not grey, but white. Extra points for using FEWER steps, and for this example, please, we'd like to see RGB workflow, not LAB.

The colors aren't bad to start with, but the contrast is out to lunch and the details need to be crisper.

Copied each channel into its own layer in this order (blue first, then green, then red):
    Blue-luminosity mode, 63% opacity
    Green - soft light mode, 43% opacity
    Red - overlay mode, 43% opacity

Copied original background layer and placed on top
    Color mode, 100%

Group all four layers to a layer set and use mask to restrict to face and hair (large soft brush works fine. The point is to not ruin the bright yellows in the blouse).

Copied all to new layer
    Linear Light mode, 50%
    High-Pass filter, .5 radius

Copied all to new layer again and repeat previous settings.

Set first High-Pass layer to 24% opacity
    Set second High-Pass layer to 30% opacity.

cheerleader.jpg
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski