Options

Roosevelt Island Bridge

LBGLBG Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited October 14, 2004 in Wildlife
This is the bridge leading to a small island in the middle of the Potomac between Georgetown and Arlington, VA. I took this tonight (5:30). Sun was at my back. I converted to BW and softened in PS. Comments & critiques welcome. lbg
9860228-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2004
    that is REALLY beautiful!
    might even be a nice one for the 'time' challenge? "into the future" or something??
    the lighting is lovely!
    did you have to use a tripod for that? (just asking because I bought a tripod yesterday, and now can't think of why i needed it!!???umph.gif:D )

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2004
    Interesting you ask....
    AussieKate wrote:
    that is REALLY beautiful!
    might even be a nice one for the 'time' challenge? "into the future" or something??
    the lighting is lovely!
    did you have to use a tripod for that? (just asking because I bought a tripod yesterday, and now can't think of why i needed it!!???umph.gif:D )

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it. I will have to look into the challenge you mentioned.
    Yes, I did use a tripod. Rare for me and I probably didnt need it but I did use one.
    EXIF:
    24-120VR
    24mm
    1/50 @ f.11
    ISO 200
    WB Shade

With regards to your tripod:
    My tripod gets most of its use during the winter months. I personally hate the winter for photography. I really dislike day shots with 'dead' trees. Regarldess of the subject matter it ruins the shot for me. So, I do mostly night photography during the winter. Here are a couple of examples from last winter:

9275267-M.jpg
    9346417-M.jpg

What tripod did you end up with?
  • Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2004
    they are really lovely shots too.

i got a 'velbon' ??? it was just a fairly inexpensive one (about $80). I didn't think i needed one with a built in spirit level!!! it folds up nicely (still is about 50cmlong though) has its own little bag (makes me look important!) and has all the little knobs and turny bits that you'ld expect. i'm assuming that i'ld need to use the tripod in any sitation where i want the shutter to be open longer than say ... 1/250? or where I want to play with the appature? or does apature only effect the depth of field? (sorry for all the stupid questions, I should probably put this in another forum) .........

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2004
    AussieKate wrote:
    they are really lovely shots too.

i got a 'velbon' ??? it was just a fairly inexpensive one (about $80). I didn't think i needed one with a built in spirit level!!! it folds up nicely (still is about 50cmlong though) has its own little bag (makes me look important!) and has all the little knobs and turny bits that you'ld expect. i'm assuming that i'ld need to use the tripod in any sitation where i want the shutter to be open longer than say ... 1/250? or where I want to play with the appature? or does apature only effect the depth of field? (sorry for all the stupid questions, I should probably put this in another forum) .........

For handheld the rule of thumb is the reciprocal of the focal length. Example: the first shot I posted was shot at a distance of 24mm. This means I should be able to handhold a shot at any apeture as long as the shutter is 1/24 or faster. Using your numbers from above, you would want to use a tripod if your correct shutter speed is 1/250 but your using 300mm lens. I hope I explained this clear enough. Let me know if you have any other questions....lbg
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2004
    LBG wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it. I will have to look into the challenge you mentioned.
    Yes, I did use a tripod. Rare for me and I probably didnt need it but I did use one.
    EXIF:
    24-120VR
    24mm
    1/50 @ f.11
    ISO 200
    WB Shade

With regards to your tripod:
    My tripod gets most of its use during the winter months. I personally hate the winter for photography. I really dislike day shots with 'dead' trees. Regarldess of the subject matter it ruins the shot for me. So, I do mostly night photography during the winter. Here are a couple of examples from last winter:

9275267-M.jpg
    9346417-M.jpg

What tripod did you end up with?
    Very nice work Brent. I'm a sucker for contrasty B&W. What your favorite conversion technique if you don't mind me asking?
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Very nice work Brent. I'm a sucker for contrasty B&W. What your favorite conversion technique if you don't mind me asking?

I use this BW V.2 conversion action. Unlike many other actions this is quite complex and allows for complete customization. It is the best Ive found but takes quite a while to figure out how to use it correctly. Its funny, when I first started digital I was completly opposed to using PS. I wanted the 'perfect' shot out of the box. But more and more I am realizing, that just like film, one thrid to half of the magic happens in the dark room, even if it is the digital PS7 darkroom. Once you figure this action out---you'll be hooked on BW for a while. lbg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2004
    LBG, a wonderful shot. And I cruised your smugmug site, you have some really excellent images there. Some very nice work, I'd like to steal some of your ideas!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2004
    LBG wrote:
    I use this BW V.2 conversion action. Unlike many other actions this is quite complex and allows for complete customization. It is the best Ive found but takes quite a while to figure out how to use it correctly. Its funny, when I first started digital I was completly opposed to using PS. I wanted the 'perfect' shot out of the box. But more and more I am realizing, that just like film, one thrid to half of the magic happens in the dark room, even if it is the digital PS7 darkroom. Once you figure this action out---you'll be hooked on BW for a while. lbg
    Thanks. I'm headed there now.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com