Options

Our Alligator, "Chomper" real grinner

FrostFrost Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited May 7, 2006 in Wildlife
:): This is our pet alligator, Chomper. He has been with us about 3 years now and I wanted to try to capture him in good sunlight. Today was good. This is with a Tamron 28-200 XR (IF) ZOOM lens and only PP is in Adobe CS2 to crop and resize for the web.
Cheers!
Vern

Nikon D80 w/ Tamron 28-200 XR lens & Nikon 55-200VR, 4X5 Graphic View II, others
http://vernsdidj.com Didgeridoo site with links and pictures.

I started out in life with nothing, and I've managed to keep most of it.

Comments

• Options
    Yvette MarieYvette Marie Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Nice!
    Frost wrote:
    :): This is our pet alligator, Chomper. He has been with us about 3 years now and I wanted to try to capture him in good sunlight. Today was good. This is with a Tamron 28-200 XR (IF) ZOOM lens and only PP is in Adobe CS2 to crop and resize for the web.

I have a two year old daughter we call chomper...

So uh.. you made him look even cute, kinda. What you gonna do with him when hes a know it all teenager?

Yvette
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Frost wrote:

That's a good shot Vern. What I like about it is that you got fine results with a "bargain" lens. It just shows again that you don't need pro glass to get good results.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    That's a good shot Vern. What I like about it is that you got fine results with a "bargain" lens. It just shows again that you don't need pro glass to get good results.

One of the things that sold me on the lens years ago were pictures taken with Tamron lenses by the late Eddie Adams. I remember the pictures of Clint Eastwood, and the face of Jerry Lewis, which was half clown face and the other sort of sad.... It was titled "And sometimes he cries". Eddie used a Tamron a lot, and even Nikon helps host a special photography shoot seminar in NY each year along with Tamron, and others. Eddie Adams was the one that took the picture of the South Vietnamese Colonel (I believe, don't remember exactly) shooting a North Vietnamese captor in the head at point blank range. He spent a lot of time in the Vietnam war and if I remember, he also spent time in the first Iraq war with the liberation of Kuwait.

I was kind of wondering how this lens would do on a modern Nikon digital. I've used it with good results on my Nikon F3. And, yes, this lens can be found at bargain prices. Nice thing about it is that it has tremendous reach, good macro capabilities and good crispness and contrast. Also it focuses VERY fast on this D50 Nikon. Suggested retail on this lens was quite high in the beginning, some $600+ It has hybrid aspheric glass and xtra refractive glass in it's overall design. I think the bokeh is very good on it as well. (hope I spelled that right!).
    Cheers!
    Vern

Nikon D80 w/ Tamron 28-200 XR lens & Nikon 55-200VR, 4X5 Graphic View II, others

• Options
    edited May 6, 2006
    Other camera
    Thanks Harryb and Yvette Marie!!
    This is a second picture of him today with a Fuji S900 taken in macro mode. Used the same ISO200 as the Nikon. Only thing is his head on top is a bit drier and not as glossy as the other pic.. in photo and real life. It's been rather cool here lately, down to 38.3 F right now, and he's in his inside tank during these temps. Otherwise he's outside in the wading pool. No takers on wading when he's crusing around... not sure why?ne_nau.gif
    Cheers!
    Vern

• Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    Nice capture, Vern. Do you keep this guy in the bath tub? :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2006
    Nice capture, Vern. Do you keep this guy in the bath tub? :D

Hi Mike!
    Nope he has a large glass aquarium that he stays in for the winter. I bought a cheap wading pool at Wal-Mart and that is what he stays in more or less throughout the summer. Gives him stretching room, sunlight for basking and minnows to chase around. No waders though...wonder why?headscratch.gif
    Cheers!
    Vern