bad moon rising

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited February 6, 2004 in Technique
Problem: very bright full moon with hazy aura. 100/2.8 macro lens. I could see the definition of the moon through the viewfinder, but I could not for the life of me capture it. I tried a range of exposures, a range of apertures, and center-weighted metering. They all turned out similar to this one. Do I need a neutral density filter? Is the moon too bright?
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    Manual
    1/400 f8
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    "attached image"
    Fish,

Maybe you can help, there is no image showing up on your posts. I have noticed this on other threads that some of the photos are present, the others just say the image is attached?!?

Deacon
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    Is that the moon?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Manual
    1/400 f8
    Still over exposed. Which ISO were you using?

I applied a .3 gamma to the 2nd one and got:
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited February 5, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Manual
    1/400 f8
    Fish - What is the moon but a sun lit object - that is to say - the moon basically needs the same exposure as a sunlit scene on Earth - and your camera meter gets confused with all the black arund the moon.
    Good exposure estimate is 1/ISO at f16 for a sunlit seen - hence at ISO 100 you should need 1/100 second at f16 for the moon OR 1/200 at f11 OR!!!!! 1/400 at f8. How about that - My estimate matched your exposure! Kool huh!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Fish - What is the moon but a sun lit object - that is to say - the moon basically needs the same exposure as a sunlit scene on Earth - and your camera meter gets confused with all the black arund the moon.
    Good exposure estimate is 1/ISO at f16 for a sunlit seen - hence at ISO 100 you should need 1/100 second at f16 for the moon OR 1/200 at f11 OR!!!!! 1/400 at f8. How about that - My estimate matched your exposure! Kool huh!
    I will second that. Treat the moon like you would a daytime shot.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
    edited February 5, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Still over exposed. Which ISO were you using?

I applied a .3 gamma to the 2nd one and got:
    ISO800. Nice gamma touch, but I wanted to capture the halo too.
    edited February 5, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Cool. Clearly, I have some work to do.

Thanks for the responses.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited February 5, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Cool. Clearly, I have some work to do.

Thanks for the responses.
    Nah!!!

Here is a previous attempt of mine at ISO 400. 1/750 CALL IT 1/800 at f9.5 - Should have been 1/400 at f16 or 1/800 at f11 - so it is slightly underexposed I think 2287088-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2004
    fish wrote:
    ISO800. Nice gamma touch, but I wanted to capture the halo too.
    The dynamic range is likely too much to capture in a single exposure. Maybe with RAW, but I doubt it. Likely you will need to do a large bracket shot of at least two exposures and stack the images later in an image editor.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 6, 2004
    The dynamic range is likely too much to capture in a single exposure. Maybe with RAW, but I doubt it. Likely you will need to do a large bracket shot of at least two exposures and stack the images later in an image editor.
    I was just gonna say, do it in photoshop... as a matter of fact...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 6, 2004
    very quick hack job... used a cooling filter too:
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]