Upsample before uploading?

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited October 21, 2004 in SmugMug Support
I was wondering, lets say is in 302ppi I have cropped it down to to be 2280x1522 pixels. Now, 3.5 megapixels doesn't make the best large prints. Should I use bicubic resampling in PS CS to make the image 3072x2048, or am I better off just uploading it as is and leaving the upsampling to ez prints?
Thanks,
Richard

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 16, 2004
    I was wondering, lets say is in 302ppi I have cropped it down to to be 2280x1522 pixels. Now, 3.5 megapixels doesn't make the best large prints. Should I use bicubic resampling in PS CS to make the image 3072x2048, or am I better off just uploading it as is and leaving the upsampling to ez prints?
    Thanks,
    Richard
    Hi Marlinspike,

My opinion shouldn't be taken as the last word because I know many photographers who upsample before uploading to smugmug, but I've never had the experience of having someone say EZ Prints didn't do a great job of upsampling.

And I've printed many 20x30s through them where I uploaded my 6 megapixel images (probably 5 after cropping), where I just couldn't see any flaws.

It's really hard to see pixels in continuous-tone images like they produce. Where you really need lots of pixels is with ink-jet prints that have to be dithered.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2004
    In that case I'll just leave it to them. It's one less thing for me to do in my workflow. I asked partly because I wasn't sure if they upsampled at all.
    Richard
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Thanks,
    Richard

I'm still not clear on why Photoshop limits you to bicubic, but that's no-where near the best algorithm for upsizing. There are a few that are much better, and they're freely available in lots of other products. Silly Adobe.

From what I've seen of EZPrints' resizing abilities, they must be using some nicer algorithm. It's always looked very nice.

(For what it's worth, smugmug also uses better algorithms than bicubic for our downsampling, and if we were to upsample ourselves, we would as well).

Don
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Gf
    onethumb wrote:
    I'm still not clear on why Photoshop limits you to bicubic, but that's no-where near the best algorithm for upsizing.

Have you heard of or used Genuine Fractals? I've been told its very good (though I've never upsampled anything myself). Its a plug-in for PS CS.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Just out of curiosity, what algorithm does smugmug use for downsampling?
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 21, 2004
    Just out of curiosity, what algorithm does smugmug use for downsampling?
    Hi Flyingpylon,

It's a Lanczos algorithm, which you can read more about here:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-quality

Thanks!
    Baldy