First shots with new macro lens (56K warning)

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited May 13, 2006 in Holy Macro
Just had a brainstorm, morgaged the house and bought an MPE-65.
These are my first attempts with this lens using my standard macro rig- F11, 1/200th Ettl flash ISO200. Shots are uncropped apart from a very minor crop on the focus stacked fly (to remove stacking error).
Seems to work :)

144033187_b9ab952f02_o.jpg

144033188_45fb3a9dba_o.jpg

144033189_f775af4974_o.jpg

144033190_43f1a5be24_o.jpg

focus stacked from 2 pics.

144033191_1ce312fa8d_o.jpg

144033192_b12c4270f0_o.jpg

144036110_1bee897e4c_o.jpg

144036111_b1b3cb555c_o.jpg

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 10, 2006
    that is the one specific lens in the Canon lineup that I lust for, and miss in the land of Nikkor. great stuff! thumb.gif

My only question though, for bug work, I know the MP lens has tiny working distance, ~1", (obviously, its basically a microscope objective): how did you get so close to a fly!?!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Good deal I always wanted to see someone around here get one.
    Can't wait to see how it does for you
    Maybe a review later ne_nau.gif

They look good to me

Fred
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Beautiful congrats on new lens
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    that is the one specific lens in the Canon lineup that I lust for, and miss in the land of Nikkor. great stuff! thumb.gif

My only question though, for bug work, I know the MP lens has tiny working distance, ~1", (obviously, its basically a microscope objective): how did you get so close to a fly!?!
    Does seem to be rather a nice lens and obviously very sharp.
    The focus distances are:
    1:1 4", 2:1 2.5", 3:1 2", 4:1 1.7", 5:1 1.6".
    The fly was shot somewhere between 2:1 and 3:1 I think. I just moved in very slowly on it keeping out of the sunlight :)- think it took 3 goes before it sat there without flying off.
    Brian V.
    edited May 10, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Good deal I always wanted to see someone around here get one.
    Can't wait to see how it does for you
    Maybe a review later ne_nau.gif

They look good to me

Fred
    Thanks Fred- very pleased with first go at it especially as I'm not using macro flashes. Will do a writeup when I've have a bit more experience with it.
    Brian V.
    edited May 10, 2006
    Beautiful congrats on new lens
    Thanks Awais- the world suddenly just got a lot bigger :)
    Brian V.
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Great detail on these Brian. I have also been contemplating getting that lens. I'm glad to see that it seems to work well with your usual flash setup. Keep them coming.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited May 10, 2006
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Great detail on these Brian. I have also been contemplating getting that lens. I'm glad to see that it seems to work well with your usual flash setup. Keep them coming.
    Thanks Thomas :)
    Think all my playing with extension tubes and closeup lenses is paying dividends- didn't seem to be as hard to use as I thought :)
    Brian V.
  • MelPMelP Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    These are wonderful!!!
    I'm gonna have to pick up a good macro lens one day. So many possibilities out there with it.

Thanks for sharing,
    Mel
    edited May 10, 2006
    MelP wrote:
    These are wonderful!!!
    I'm gonna have to pick up a good macro lens one day. So many possibilities out there with it.

Thanks for sharing,
    Mel
    Thanks Mel :)

I wouldn't pick this one for first tries- a nice one around 100mm would be best.
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Woooooooooow !
    Just had a brainstorm, morgaged the house and bought an MPE-65.
    These are my first attempts with this lens using my standard macro rig- F11, 1/200th Ettl flash ISO200. Shots are uncropped apart from a very minor crop on the focus stacked fly (to remove stacking error).
    Seems to work :)
    focus stacked from 2 pics.

Ohhhhhhhh boy oh boy oh boy.......... you just produce the best ever fly shots don't you :jawdrop golly you can clearly see the make up of the compound eyes in those shots ....... way to go Brian clap.gifthumb.gif
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    These are awesome. I just ordered a macro lense (new Nikkor 105mm with VR) because I've enjoyed your shots so much. Until it comes in, my sales guy lent me a 60mm macro. I've really enjoyed playing with it and have used your f11 1/200 with great success. My question is with regard to stacked focus. Is there a tutorial on this somewhere? Here are a couple shots I got the day after I got the lense with your settings.

67450828-M.jpg
    67450832-M.jpg

With all the fun I'm having with this lense, I'm left wondering if I'm making the right purchase. Do you think I've ordered the wrong lense? The 105 will let me take the shot from a greater distance, but will I be as happy with it's performance? I've also ordered a set of extension tubes in hopes of gaining magnification. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    WOW! This certainly opens up my eyes. Amazing shots. And now I'm feeling kinda creeped out, thank you very much :):
    edited May 11, 2006
    MelP wrote:
    These are wonderful!!!

Thanks for sharing,
    Mel
    Thanks Mel,
    Well worth the money getting a good macro lens- all the ones around 100mm by major manufacturers have excellent optics.
    Brian V.
    edited May 11, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Ohhhhhhhh boy oh boy oh boy.......... you just produce the best ever fly shots don't you :jawdrop golly you can clearly see the make up of the compound eyes in those shots ....... way to go Brian clap.gifthumb.gif
    Skippy (Australia)

Thanks skippy - only got the lens yesterday so still getting used to it but it does seem to be sharp :)
    Brian V.
    edited May 11, 2006
    donek wrote:
    These are awesome. I just ordered a macro lense (new Nikkor 105mm with VR) because I've enjoyed your shots so much. Until it comes in, my sales guy lent me a 60mm macro. I've really enjoyed playing with it and have used your f11 1/200 with great success. My question is with regard to stacked focus. Is there a tutorial on this somewhere? Here are a couple shots I got the day after I got the lense with your settings.

With all the fun I'm having with this lense, I'm left wondering if I'm making the right purchase. Do you think I've ordered the wrong lense? The 105 will let me take the shot from a greater distance, but will I be as happy with it's performance? I've also ordered a set of extension tubes in hopes of gaining magnification. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Any advice would be appreciated.

I did a focus stacking tutorial here
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/163367/

As for the lens, think you've made a good choice (and it's got image stabilisation). I'd always recommend a macro lens around 100mm for new macroholics. I suspect that optically it will be the same as the 60mm but just gives you that extra working distance. With a full set of tubes the lens should go up to about 2:1.
    Brian V
    edited May 11, 2006
    raian wrote:
    WOW! This certainly opens up my eyes. Amazing shots. And now I'm feeling kinda creeped out, thank you very much :):
    Hope you've recovered rolleyes1.gif
    Brian v.
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Great and inspired work again Lord V! You're work has been THE inspiration for many of us and I thank you for helping us!

By the way, I picked up said 65 MP-E a few months ago and really havent had the chance to play with it as much as I would have liked. However, I do have to say, with the experience I do have with the MP-E, its all about finding a good tripod and trackhead, good lighting and alot of patience with the MP-E from what I've played with it so far.
    The sweet spot for me starts at around f7 and closing down that apeture really makes for some super sharp work. The only problem I have is tweaking that blasted twin-lite macro flash with moving subjects and the MP-E since it does require a bit of skill. But, then again, seeing the world at 5x factor is worth it isnt it? thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    144036110_1bee897e4c_o.jpg

Is this a Brown Recluse or a Wolf Spider? They both look similar. I can't always tell them apart. My oldest brother lost a leg`cos of a Brown Recluse. And an insurance man who was visiting one of our neighbors was hobbling on a cane`cos one bit him, too.eek.gif
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
    edited May 11, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    Great and inspired work again Lord V! You're work has been THE inspiration for many of us and I thank you for helping us!

By the way, I picked up said 65 MP-E a few months ago and really havent had the chance to play with it as much as I would have liked. However, I do have to say, with the experience I do have with the MP-E, its all about finding a good tripod and trackhead, good lighting and alot of patience with the MP-E from what I've played with it so far.
    The sweet spot for me starts at around f7 and closing down that apeture really makes for some super sharp work. The only problem I have is tweaking that blasted twin-lite macro flash with moving subjects and the MP-E since it does require a bit of skill. But, then again, seeing the world at 5x factor is worth it isnt it? thumb.gif

Thanks Pezpix,
    I don't use a tripod just my trusty bean-pole mind you I haven't taken any pics at 5X using that yet. I was lucky with the lighting- my flash rig I used with my old macro seems to work pretty well. :)
    So far I've only shot at F11 which seems to be my standard at the moment.
    Brian V.
    edited May 11, 2006

Is this a Brown Recluse or a Wolf Spider? They both look similar. I can't always tell them apart. My oldest brother lost a leg`cos of a Brown Recluse. And an insurance man who was visiting one of our neighbors was hobbling on a cane`cos one bit him, too.eek.gif
    Think it must be a hibernating wolf spider (it was fairly big) we don't get Brown Recluses over here AFAIK :)
    Brian V.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 11, 2006
    re the flies and the spider-

ugh!!!-

and that's a compliment-

very neat photos-

george
    edited May 13, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    re the flies and the spider-

ugh!!!-

and that's a compliment-

very neat photos-

george
    Thanks George,
    When you start taking pics of bugs you start to like and respect them :)
    Brian V.
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Wow, unbelievably awesome!