Sullivan's Island, South Carolina.

It will not survive mildew and TIME,
for this, we have photographs.

Mary Rogers Jones
(ginger)
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

Thank you for the opportunity to start my thread
for Challenge 23, on my time, your time and time
found. I think it will be a journey of tears and laughter.

Smile a lot, cry little, feel passionately,
ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2004
    Memories are wonderful...
    Ah yes, the ravages of time. Time marches on. Memories are the rewards given by time. Looking forward to lots of images in the next two weeks. I'll be in San Francisco Oct 7-11. Maybe a different venue will give me some new opportunities.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2004
    Bcp
    Ginger,

I still have my grandmother's Book of Common Prayer that she used when she was a young girl. I belong to the Anglican Church of Canada, and although the regular service has changed somewhat over the last several decades, we still have one service a month that uses the BCP.

Knowing that I share this connection of prayer and worship with my family members before me is one of the reasons I am an Anglican.

Your post evokes a lot of feelings and memories ...
    Thanks,
    Brad
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2004
    GInger...
    Two nice kick-offs for the "time" challenge... Good Luck this challenge.
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2004
    Two great posts!!! I really likethe sundial.clap.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2004
    Time Of Shame by ginger
    9483410-L.jpg

Magnolia Gardens Plantation
    Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2004
    Ginger,

I like the first two images.

The rest don't really speak to the theme, IMO.

I find the first touching, and I don't even know what it is, really. Raised by humanists--no religious background to speak of. So I don't really understand the significance of the book, but the significance is there in the image. I can feel its value. And the passage of time.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2004
    I like this last one
    This is great. Too bad it seems a little out of focus. It's a great idea.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    This is great. Too bad it seems a little out of focus. It's a great idea.
    No matter what I did, I couldn't get it in focus, I should go through all of them, it is just about impossible to get a clear image out of glass, and the more glass............ I was not sure, or I wouldn't have posted it.

On the part time shot, I specifically said what it was, in case you wondered.

g
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2004
    I recognize the clock works. It's a cool abstract. Good focus here mwink.gif
    Yeah, I understand about shooting through the glass. I think the camera focuses on the glass instead of what's inside. :puke1

Gosh you're finding such great stuff. Where did you find all this. Is it in an area of shops? I sure hope I find some good stuff in San Francisco.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2004
    Wow - lots of great pics!! My favorite is still the sundial. I think that it both catches the theme and is also a great picutre!
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2004
    Judy, I should make the sundial my logo, I keep using it. A challenge starts, that sundial fits lots of themes, I run out, take a shot, and I am the first one out the gate.

If I actually used it.............now that would complicate things.:roll

Thank you for your input. I am leaning, it is not my favorite image, but it is my most personal, I am leaning towards the first photo, the book I got at confirmation in 1955.

My favorite photo is the Time Of Shame. I like that because it is not really an object, I mean it is a real house, and supposed to be original, but the way I did it up, it is colors.............. I always wanted to do that, and this is the best I have ever done.

Last time I had nothing, now I have more than I need. I am not going to take photos today. Just resting, playing music. I have a giant of a headache.
    I had an idea last night that I can't remember anymore. I have an idea, still, I just don't know how to do it, want to do it before anyone else does.

Maybe I should do a bad one, just get my idea in first, lol.

Thanks so much for checking in.

ginger
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2004
    You are quite the photographer
    I like your photography...the sundial is really well done.

Lee
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2004
    leebase wrote:
    I like your photography...the sundial is really well done.

Lee
    Thank you, Lee. I never got that many comments on it before. Maybe it is meant to go in the Challenge.

It was unusual this time as there was dew on it. (I started early) That probably added. Then I put a brown overlay on. Don't know if I burnt it in, or if I used vivid light. That probably helped with the dew.

Oh, in case anyone misunderstands, the photograph was taken Monday morning. Anything that stands still, I can do that with. I make decisions like that. I can let the slave cabin go and get the same photo for some other challenge, but that confirmation book, it is a one time thing, I think. Also, anything with people. I will take them over an inanimate object.

This time the sundial was covered with dew, I have never seen that before. Maybe this is its day. Guess I will see.

ginger

Thanks for stopping by.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2004
    Hi Ginger,

Another great photo!!! I really like the "A LifeTime Ago". It gives the sense of time without showing a timepiece. It is a very moving picture .. though I wonder what it would look like in black and white?

I also like your first picture. You are right there is a lot of meaning of time there in the pages!!!!

I am amazed at how many pictures you are getting!!!!! I had a hard time getting one!!!! I have some ideas though, just not sure I will have the time to take them .. haha..

-judy
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2004
    judyfuess wrote:
    Hi Ginger,

Another great photo!!! I really like the "A LifeTime Ago". It gives the sense of time without showing a timepiece. It is a very moving picture .. though I wonder what it would look like in black and white?

I also like your first picture. You are right there is a lot of meaning of time there in the pages!!!!

I am amazed at how many pictures you are getting!!!!! I had a hard time getting one!!!! I have some ideas though, just not sure I will have the time to take them .. haha..

-judy
    Yes, I do like my pictures this time. They were easy, I like easy photos, lol.
    Last time I had zip. I usually do have something early. I knew I wanted that last shot, a person with a picture when they were young. My husband doesn't have one. I don't have any more people.

So I didn't know how to do that, didn't want to give the idea up. Grabbed that shot and a blue shirt late in the afternoon, yesterday. Sat down on the walkway in our tiny backyard where so much photography happens. After I figured out how to get the photo and me together, I remembered that some people think it is a snapshot if you are looking at the camera, so I tried a few where I was looking at, towards, whatever, the photo. This was the best, and somewhat of a miracle.............

I have been doing self portraits since I got my first digital, but it is more difficult with the Rebel, and with a picture, not looking at the camera................... Well, I think I have "did" it.

Should take the dogs to the beach, just want to sit here.

ginger

thanks
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2004
    Wow I did not realize that it was a self portrait! I am even more impressed.clap.gif I am still working up the courage to start taking some self portraits. For now I am very happy focusing more on landscapes and other people ...
  • Options
    JesmolJesmol Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    Great Photo's Ginger, my pick is the time of shame.

****You'll have to excuse my Aussie ignorance here, but am I correct in assuming this has something to do with slave labour ???**** PLEASE IGNORE

Me slaps head and makes mental note to read all messages in thread prior to posting, after reading Gingers reply previous page.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2004
    Jesmol wrote:
    Great Photo's Ginger, my pick is the time of shame.

****You'll have to excuse my Aussie ignorance here, but am I correct in assuming this has something to do with slave labour ???**** PLEASE IGNORE

Me slaps head and makes mental note to read all messages in thread prior to posting, after reading Gingers reply previous page.

That would be a lot of careful reading. We all miss stuff.

However, I love that you like that picture. I do too, and I know it is not received that well, generally.

So, I love to hear from someone who does like it.

gingerthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2004
    Hi Ginger,
    Although it is darker, I like the first picture of the prayer book better than the other two. The first one has a much softer feel to it.

-judy

OOOPS - I didn't realize that this was different from the first picture you posted. I take my comment back. These are also more great pictures!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2004
    Hi Ginge... I like the first one better for the same reasons.. the softness. I also like the sundial AND the apple clock.. it's hard to chose. I'm not seeing your usual WOW shot yet tho :D your'e on the right track tho..clap.gif
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2004
    Gosh, you have been going crazy on this one!!! I really like the first two you posted...but I also like your self portrait. Your prayer book is time reminisced, the sundial is time literal, and your portrait is time passed by. They are all great...I can't decide! thumb.gif

Laurie
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2004
    I am going to take off some stuff I am not serious about anymore. g
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2004
    Another Time
    9396248-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2004
    Time Of Shame: Slave Cabin
    9483410-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2004
    now I just have these together where I can look at them. I really like Everlasting Time. It looks like a definite art form that I could spend hours in.

The book as a square, the bottom bothers me. It is just not as impressive as the more arty ones.

The book as a rectangle, that did capture the books age and the feel of nostalgia, actual pain for me. It can be difficult to be a grown up. What bothers me about this one is the composition. There is that room at the top, for no reason, too much, my gut tells me. I could try to redo it, but I am going to stare and see if I want that, I just don't feel like it is "enough". For me, I mean.

The Time Of Shame, you all know I like the graphics, the flat, 2 D look, with the colors dominating. It is not really a subject, to me, it is line and colors.
    I like that.

ginger

I save the sundial.......
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2004
    Everlasting Time
    9612854-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2004
    Soft Southern Autumn
    9623671-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2004
    Charleston Time
    Is it moving? No, then it is Charleston Time.

9454612-L.jpg
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2004
    Ginger,
    I've been away for over a week and I am now just looking at the posts for this challenge. I really love this shot! You have so much creative juice flowing through you!

The '1955' date is just subtle enough to be seen and the connection with time is obvious.

Well done!

Brad

ginger_55 wrote:
    9612854-S.jpg