Options

Think Secret: Apple Aperture Future in Question

MarcMarc Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited May 12, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
FYI...

Think Secret is reporting that Aperture's future is in question as Apple axes bulk of team.

Well now... if it's true and if Aperture goes away, it looks light Lightroom is *it*.

Thoughts? :dunno

Marc

Comments

• Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    I am still a bit peeved that I can't work with it on my last year's bought G5, nor on my powerbook G4... I mean, those are not really "toy" machines...
    Lightroom plays on both, and I love their slideshow function.
    I think it was way over priced... at least for the overal serious amateur-intrance level pro photographer.
    It does look good though, it is very impressive to watch the user interface...
    It is a hard choice... I wonder if Adobe will replace bridge with lightroom...
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    photocat wrote:
    It is a hard choice... I wonder if Adobe will replace bridge with lightroom...

It's a good question, but note that Bridge also works with the other Creative Suite and Windows video suite file types: InDesign layouts, Illustrator, video, audio...
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    contrarian view
    That Think Secret story is generally not being viewed as overly accurate, a good analysis of the story can be found starting here and finishing a bit later. In between those, the author of the above also dug into some quality reporting from the AP.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Apple also stated that they have more people working on it than ever before.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Aperture DNG?
    Speaking of Aperture, can it take my raw files and convert them to DNGs?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 5, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Speaking of Aperture, can it take my raw files and convert them to DNGs?

doesnt look like it.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs.html

1. DNG files must be generated by the Adobe DNG Converter, with the "Convert to Linear Image" option turned off, and created from RAW formats that are otherwise already supported by Mac OS X 10.4.3 or later.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    Hmmm. I'm just trying to think of ways to evaluate my raws, convert them to DNGs, append metadata to those DNGs, and then rename them and put them in a folder of their own. I'd like to do make this as automated a process as I can. I may add burning the original CR2 files to DVD in there somewhere toone_nau.gif

I can manage all of that in bridge (I think) but I was just hoping that maybe I could avoid the whole xp on my mac thing (at least for the shootout).

Ideas?

• Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Hmmm. I'm just trying to think of ways to evaluate my raws, convert them to DNGs, append metadata to those DNGs, and then rename them and put them in a folder of their own. I'd like to do make this as automated a process as I can. I may add burning the original CR2 files to DVD in there somewhere toone_nau.gif

I can manage all of that in bridge (I think) but I was just hoping that maybe I could avoid the whole xp on my mac thing (at least for the shootout).

Ideas?
    you can do all of that in iPhoto (except for the dng thing). it's not the greatest in the world, but it'll do in a pinch.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    you can do all of that in iPhoto (except the dng thing). it's not the greatest in the world, but it'll do in a pinch.
    you may need to bring in automator for the renaming, but the rest you can do in iPhoto. I'm sure DavidTO will correct me if i'm wrong.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    iPhoto will not do what you want for the metadata, and I would not recommend it for RAW.

I also don't see why you need to do the whole DNG thing while on the road. You may want to keyword your RAW files and back them up, but you can make the DNGs later, right?

I would look at two things:

1) the upgrade path cost of buying the suite now, upgrading later as opposed to buying later. Maybe it makes sense to buy now and live with the performance hit, which may not be that bad in real world terms, anyway, I don't know.

2) Get a copy of iView Media Pro, which is the cataloging software that I would recommend, anyway. It will handle everything but the DNG conversion and is something you should just have.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    iPhoto will not do what you want for the metadata, and I would not recommend it for RAW.

I also don't see why you need to do the whole DNG thing while on the road. You may want to keyword your RAW files and back them up, but you can make the DNGs later, right?

1) the upgrade path cost of buying the suite now, upgrading later as opposed to buying later. Maybe it makes sense to buy now and live with the performance hit, which may not be that bad in real world terms, anyway, I don't know.

2) Get a copy of iView Media Pro, which is the cataloging software that I would recommend, anyway. It will handle everything but the DNG conversion and is something you should just have.

Yeah I can do the DNG stuff later. I'll need some time to really get that workflow up and running anyhow. I'll look into iView Media Pro, thanks yo.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Ok, so i swear that you could add keywords and metadata in iPhoto ne_nau.gif

i must have misunderstood what mike wanted to do, i agree that i would not use iPhoto to process raw files, but for chimping and cataloging it works fine.

plus the slideshows are neat.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Ok, so i swear that you could add keywords and metadata in iPhoto ne_nau.gif

You can add keywords, but I don't think they play nice with IPTC. I checked with a friend that uses it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    This will be your Dam tour...

Well I wanted to post a side-splitting scene from National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation when they were visiting the hoover dam. So I searched out the site. Okay, Vegas Vacation came out in 1997 and my god does the movie's website look like it was created in 1997.

That's just plain funny lol3.gif

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    You can add keywords, but I don't think they play nice with IPTC.
    Correct. iPhoto keywords do not appear to be standard. For example, I'll keyword in Bridge, then import into iPhoto, but then can't search and find those keywords any longer. Very strange.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    Correct. iPhoto keywords do not appear to be standard. For example, I'll keyword in Bridge, then import into iPhoto, but then can't search and find those keywords any longer. Very strange.
    gotcha. i use bridge for my workflow. iPhoto is for showing slideshows to family and friends. it has MUSIC!!!!!
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    This will be your Dam tour...

Well I wanted to post a side-splitting scene from National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation when they were visiting the hoover dam. So I searched out the site. Okay, Vegas Vacation came out in 1997 and my god does the movie's website look like it was created in 1997.

That's just plain funny lol3.gif

I remember that. "Take all the dam pictures you want."
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    gotcha. i use bridge for my workflow. iPhoto is for showing slideshows to family and friends. it has MUSIC!!!!!

There's a lot of great to iPhoto. Just not for serious use.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    topspringertopspringer Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2006
    I am using Aperture 1.1.1 now
    This is one amazing piece of software! I imported easily all my iPhoto pictures, and keywords and all organization of the files came through perfectly. It is about the same complexity as Lightroom though Lightroom has a more colorful "pretty" layout of the same bag of tricks. The DVD movie disk that came with Aperture is probably all the training a person will ever need to use the software, but it is quite long and involved - a lot of ground to cover. I do miss one feature they dropped that was in iPhoto. In iPhoto, when you publish to your web page, you have the option of forming custom simulated picture frames around your pictures. That was very cool. I don't think Lightroom can do that either however. I don't see a single item missing from Aperture that I need, short of sharpening. *Revision> It does do sharpening too.* The other image enhancement slider tools work instantly in real time and make short work of adjustments. An excellent program! It would be very very difficult to see this program ever going away. It's great.

clap.gif
    Marc wrote:
    FYI...

Think Secret is reporting that Aperture's future is in question as Apple axes bulk of team.

Well now... if it's true and if Aperture goes away, it looks light Lightroom is *it*.

Thoughts? ne_nau.gif

Marc
  • Options
    suntzusuntzu Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    ThinkSecret is getting crappier and crappier. Here's a link you should read if you haven't already:

http://daringfireball.net/2006/05/more_aperture_dirt

Seems Aperture is going to get even better and with stronger support.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    I've see factual errors in past Daring Fireball posts. Basically it isn't helping to refute one rumor site with another.