Options

Question about shooting boats

TmosleyTmosley Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited May 12, 2006 in Technique
Today i am shooting the Newport to Ensanada Yacht race, from a 52' Navigator, i have a 5D with 24-70 and a 20D with 70-200 IS, is there something i need to really be aware of that i may not be thinking abot,
its a little overcast here today, which i hope stays,
but is there any advice you guys could offer

thanks
Troy

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    You need to account not only for regular camera shake, but boat movement (the one your on) so use a faster than normal shutter speed.
    Tmosley wrote:
    Today i am shooting the Newport to Ensanada Yacht race, from a 52' Navigator, i have a 5D with 24-70 and a 20D with 70-200 IS, is there something i need to really be aware of that i may not be thinking abot,
    its a little overcast here today, which i hope stays,
    but is there any advice you guys could offer

thanks
    Troy
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    a rain cover for both cameras...for water spray.....If you don't have them, then use a very large baggie (at least a gal size) cut hole in one corner for lens to extrude thru and use a rubber band to attach to lens.....cheapest rain coat for a camera I have found and always a good idea to keep camera dry.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 28, 2006
    i will definetly use the fastest shutter speed available,
    does the shutter speed affect the IS in terms of helping the IS do its job if im using a fast shutter speed, will there be less chance of camera shake,
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 28, 2006
    Shooting from an ocean going sailboat is one area where I might consider using a UV filter to keep salt spray from drying on the front of my lens.

As well as a ZIplock baggy as a rain coat for the body as mentioned.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    and of course...

one hand for yourself (and the camera), one hand for the boat. you don't want the camera to go overboard, with or without you.

64038054-Th.jpg
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Tmosley wrote:
    i will definetly use the fastest shutter speed available,
    does the shutter speed affect the IS in terms of helping the IS do its job if im using a fast shutter speed, will there be less chance of camera shake,

IS is only useful for camera shake when taking a photo under slow shutter. If your shutter speed is fat enough to stop sail boat action ... then it should be equal to the task of stopping hand shake. (In essense, if your shutter speed is fast enough to stop action on the lens end ... then the shutter speed is fast enough to stop action on the camera end). Which is why IS is useless for sports in general.

Using IS and a fast shutter speed is a waste of batteries and time (as IS takes a while to stabilize and write).

Remember to crank up the ISO for a faster shutter speed if need be.

Remember to take extra batteries as it's hard to find an open shop on the high seas.

Take a sun hat with a strap ...
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2006
    Im back from the shoot, it was great, lots of boats and great shots, i will post some when i get home from work and check them out.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Nice shoots....#2 would have been much more powerful as a landscape orientation....JMHO...thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    I like the pictures you made.

I just wanted to throw in a few more ideas on photographing sailing boats:
    • Play with backlight to get some impressive colors from those huge sails
    • Try to shoot from a high angle (if at all possible), to eliminate background clutter and to create more depth
    • Go out when its wavy and windy, you'll get some great action shots.
    • Take some pills against seasickness before you go eyeballing through your lenses
    I will be going to Valencia this year, and hope to be able to photograph
    when them Americas Cup racers are out practiceing.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston