Options

Monitor Calibration

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited October 18, 2004 in Digital Darkroom
I recently bought the Prism kit (from the qimage people), for setting up profiles for my scanner and Printer, seems to work well. While the prints are now much closer to what I have on the screen l would like now to get the monitor spot on. I 've tried using the adobe gamma adjustment tools and the ones that comes with prism, but I seem to get different results each time I try, It doesn't seem very precise!

Could anybody point me towards something that will do a good job without costing big $$
I know Sid was looking at this a few months ago but I coudn't see what conclusions were reached.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 2, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I recently bought the Prism kit (from the qimage people), for setting up profiles for my scanner and Printer, seems to work well. While the prints are now much closer to what I have on the screen l would like now to get the monitor spot on. I 've tried using the adobe gamma adjustment tools and the ones that comes with prism, but I seem to get different results each time I try, It doesn't seem very precise!

Could anybody point me towards something that will do a good job without costing big $$
    I know Sid was looking at this a few months ago but I coudn't see what conclusions were reached.

Thanks
    Gubbs - I have not answered sooner because I hoped somebody would pop in with a nice and inexpensive way to calibrate a monitor. I am not sure what you consider expensive, but I just have not found any way to do if for less than the price of a new lens umph.gif I used Monoco EZ-Color with the Monoco Optix colorimeter and have been pleased with the results.

The really annoying thing is that for what they all charge they want to limit the use of the software to ONLY one computer - Like selling you a wrench ( I suspect that is SPANNER to you :D ) and then saying you can only use it on one motorcycle - Can you imagine Snap-On trying to sell tools to a mechanic with a contract that limited their use to only one machine?

There is a website that I use to get my monitor close at work - www.easyrgb.com - AND I see that thery now have a FREE down loadable software version to calibrate your monitor and they also sell a colorimeter as well. The registered version of the software is $178 but the free version will calibrate monitors it says. Unfortunately the colorimeter in not cheap. They do have nice website for colormatching tho. Give it a look too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2004
    Thanks,

I've just got back from buying Pantone Spyder. The decision was influenced heavily by the fact that it was the only one in stock and it had reaonable reviews. Anyway I've just run it and it appears to have worked well and was easy to use. I think my screen was too bright before, I wonder if my pictures have been on the darkside ne_nau.gif (MTFBWY)
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Thanks,

I've just got back from buying Pantone Spyder. The decision was influenced heavily by the fact that it was the only one in stock and it had reaonable reviews. Anyway I've just run it and it appears to have worked well and was easy to use. I think my screen was too bright before, I wonder if my pictures have been on the darkside ne_nau.gif (MTFBWY)
    No Gubbs... I've never noticed your pictures being dark at all.. I'll be interested to see some from your new view.yelrotflmao.gif
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    No Gubbs... I've never noticed your pictures being dark at all.. I'll be interested to see some from your new view.yelrotflmao.gif
    I've got to go "shopping" with my wife this evening but I have got some stuff I wanted to put up once its had a bit of post. Hopefully I''ll get a chance :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2004
    Sorry I missed this thread, Gubbs. Patch ran his pro-level GretagMacbeth on my monitor when I first got it. I think it's a wee bit dark now, based on how folks are reacting to certain photos. I bought the Eye One used, but haven't had the nerve to try it yet.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Sorry I missed this thread, Gubbs. Patch ran his pro-level GretagMacbeth on my monitor when I first got it. I think it's a wee bit dark now, based on how folks are reacting to certain photos. I bought the Eye One used, but haven't had the nerve to try it yet.
    I found it pretty straight forward, except, on the first attempt, the room lighting was too strong. I think the sensor was picking up reflected light from the screen surface? Tried again with the lights lower and got excellent results thumb.gif

The printer's next
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I found it pretty straight forward, except, on the first attempt, the room lighting was too strong. I think the sensor was picking up reflected light from the screen surface? Tried again with the lights lower and got excellent results thumb.gif

The printer's next

Ok, you're helping me edge towards trying it. Probably my room was also too light when Patch helped me the first time. I'm terrified of screwing up the settings on the monitor.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Ok, you're helping me edge towards trying it. Probably my room was also too light when Patch helped me the first time. I'm terrified of screwing up the settings on the monitor.
    The software saves the profile under a new file name so you can revert to the original. If you're concerned just make sure which profile you're currently using and take a copy of it. Photocal guides you through adjusting the monitors manul settings (the buttons on the side) there is no reason why you can't just take a note of the settings before you reset and adjust.

I had the benefit of a screwed up monitor :D so had nothing to lose, but I'm not very technical and found it very straightforward

Good Luck
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited October 18, 2004
    I picked up one of the Monoco devices and am reasonably happy.

What pisses me off is that you need to get an activation code in addition to the
    serial number. If you don't, it's use limited (14 days).

As you say, for the amount the device costs, this shouldn't be the case.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?