Options

Every now and then Firefox drops ALL my bookmarks...

Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
edited May 14, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
Not sure if I'm in the right forum for this but...

Any insight on this? Every now and then, maybe every half year or so, Firefox just dumps all my bookmarks for no reason whatsoever. I could swear I back them up once or twice but everytime they get dumped I can't seem to locate where I saved the backup to.

Is this a common thing? It's really a pain, as you can imagine, when you lose hundreds of bookmarks...

-Matt-
My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Not sure if I'm in the right forum for this but...

Any insight on this? Every now and then, maybe every half year or so, Firefox just dumps all my bookmarks for no reason whatsoever. I could swear I back them up once or twice but everytime they get dumped I can't seem to locate where I saved the backup to.

Is this a common thing? It's really a pain, as you can imagine, when you lose hundreds of bookmarks...

-Matt-

Hasn't happened to me. Just do all your bookmarks on http://del.icio.us/. There are firefox extensions that will import and export and/or backup your delicious bookmarks. Plus delicious has a nifty unobtrusive firefox extension that lets you post to delicious as easily as adding bookmarks to firefox itself. Plus you can have your bookmarks anywhere.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Since updaing to the latest version of Firefox, I've found it to be buggy. Small problems recurring consistently. Haven't lost bookmarks, but the browser closes abruptly, won't let me type message in a second window without odd problems, is often slow.

Someone recommended wiping it clean and downloading the latest from scratch, thus removing all earlier versions from my computer. I guess IE does have uses.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    I haven't seen that myself. There is a backup utility for FF and TB that I run at work just in case something like that did happen--I really need to get it loaded at home.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    I haven't seen that myself. There is a backup utility for FF and TB that I run at work just in case something like that did happen--I really need to get it loaded at home.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll definitely check out the delicious website, that sounds like a solution that even forgetful me could use.

I also have one other problem. Every now and then when I'm typing real fast, I type something wrong and all of a sudden the ' key becomes this strange hotkey to a search box that pops up on the bottom of my window. From then on, I can't type the ' key in that browser window without the search bar appearing at the bottom. Very annoying. Maybe this is something I should mosey on over to the FF website and ask about?

Take care,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Thanks everyone for your input. I'll definitely check out the delicious website, that sounds like a solution that even forgetful me could use.

I also have one other problem. Every now and then when I'm typing real fast, I type something wrong and all of a sudden the ' key becomes this strange hotkey to a search box that pops up on the bottom of my window. From then on, I can't type the ' key in that browser window without the search bar appearing at the bottom. Very annoying. Maybe this is something I should mosey on over to the FF website and ask about?

Take care,
    -Matt-
    Happens to me too. Sucks. As as I said before, the solution may be to remove previous versions of the browser and start fresh with the latest. No-one's had a better suggestion, that I've heard. ne_nau.gif

Certainly takes some of the gloss off of Firefox.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au