Options

Looking for Canon 18-55 or 17-85!

bluestbluest Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 15, 2006 in Flea Market
Hi, pardon the detail:
My husband just purchased a Canon EOS 20D 8.2 Megapixel! He's super excited. He has always loved photography but we've never had $$ to indulge this hobby. He just got a job teaching English in Japan and will probably leave in a few months. We decided to splurge so that he can capture his sure-to-be fantastic memories abroad. That, and to supplement the vast collection of photos we have amassed, all of our cat. I digress! He needs a lens. I think his ideal lens would be the 17-85. Does anyone have one for sale?
We are looking for the 18-55 as a second option, if we are unable to spring for the 17-85.
I appreciate your help!
Amee

Comments

• Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    I too, would love to find a 17-85 lens....I am pretty confused about all the lenses they have out there and I am trying to find ONE that will replace the 3 that I have.......18-55, 35-80, and an 80-210 (Tamaron).....any suggestions would be great!!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Amee,
    bluest wrote:
    Hi, pardon the detail:
    My husband just purchased a Canon EOS 20D 8.2 Megapixel! He's super excited. He has always loved photography but we've never had $$ to indulge this hobby. He just got a job teaching English in Japan and will probably leave in a few months. We decided to splurge so that he can capture his sure-to-be fantastic memories abroad. That, and to supplement the vast collection of photos we have amassed, all of our cat. I digress! He needs a lens. I think his ideal lens would be the 17-85. Does anyone have one for sale?
    We are looking for the 18-55 as a second option, if we are unable to spring for the 17-85.
    I appreciate your help!
    Amee

Welcome to DGrin!

Forget 18-55. Going for a trip of a life time with that lens is a recipe for a failure. I had that lens originally and I consider it to be my biggest mistake with dslr I have ever made.
    Opt for 17-85, plus probably 1.4x extender (the last will turn your 17-85 into 24-120). Watch www.fredmiranda.com (and ebay:-), I see these lenses change hands quite often.
    Also, from what I saw of Japan, everyhting is very much tight quarters, hence it simply asks for 10-22. But it's one hell of a cash pile to cough out.
    At any rate - get the 17-85 first. It's the best you can do as your "one and only".
    Strictly MHO, no pun, etc.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    You are in luck, email me and we'll chat about price. Be advised that I won't be able to do anything until after I get home from the shootout (31 May or 1 June). But I've got that lens and it's in great shape and since I got my 17-40L I don't use it at all. So if you can wait until June to get your hands on it, give me a shout. ear.gif

EDIT: Also I've got the irritatingly difficult to find lens hood that goes along with it thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/