Options

Macro Too Lip

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited February 7, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
2285806-M.jpg

I'm going to try Charles' trick of linking to the big photo.

ExposureTime - 8/10 seconds
FNumber - 11
ISOSpeedRatings - 100
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    fish wrote:

I'm going to try Charles' trick of linking to the big photo.

ExposureTime - 8/10 seconds
    FNumber - 11
    ISOSpeedRatings - 100
    Wow! Gives me a buzz and makes me want to gather pollen!
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    Very nice, fishy clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2004
    Thanks guys. beer.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    The colors really come through. Great shot. My tulips are gone for now.
  • Options
    WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    New Career Path
    Hmmm, maybe a new career for you, Macro Botanical Photographer? Nice ring to it! Beautitul shot, Bravo!
  • Options
    Stunt ClownStunt Clown Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2004
    Nice work Fish. Awesome color.
    Do you use something (wire or such) to help postition the flower so you get the angle you want ? Or is all in the tripod and head machinations?

That is sometimes my biggest problem with flowers.
    -Pete-

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
    Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 6, 2004
    Nice shot Fish - with borders and a drop shadow no less..... Did you illuminate the flower from behind with strobe or existing light? And you included a copyright notice as well...... Aren't you glad you joined the dark side?

Pathfinder
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2004
    Fish,

Did you use the 100 macro on that? I've been out fondling cameras etc. and feel the need to spend some money!

Hutch
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2004
    Nice work Fish. Awesome color.
    Do you use something (wire or such) to help postition the flower so you get the angle you want ? Or is all in the tripod and head machinations?
    That is sometimes my biggest problem with flowers.
    This particular tulip was cut and put in a vase to make it easy to position with a backlight. The lighting was ambient...no flash. I used a pan/tilt head on the tripod.
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nice shot Fish - with borders and a drop shadow no less..... Did you illuminate the flower from behind with strobe or existing light? And you included a copyright notice as well...... Aren't you glad you joined the dark side?
    Pathfinder
    I was bored so tried to figure out how others did it. Lot's of work, but maybe worth it for a shot or two. Yes, I'm quite glad I went Canon, although I'm not sure that's the dark side...it's about light! :)
    hutchman wrote:
    Fish,
    Did you use the 100 macro on that? I've been out fondling cameras etc. and feel the need to spend some money!
    Hutch
    Yes, that was the Canon 100/2.8 macro. I love that lens. Worth every penny, imho.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2004
    By dark side he meant the copyright.

Terrific shot, very psychedelic. Really gets your attention. Love the lighting. Nice job, I'm proud of you. thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    By dark side he meant the copyright.

oh. :dgrin

Terrific shot, very psychedelic. Really gets your attention. Love the lighting. Nice job, I'm proud of you. thumb.gif
    Thanks. :encore

Macro is a really cool world. Once you get into it, you start looking down for interesting little things to shoot, rather than up and out for interesting big things.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited February 7, 2004
    fish,

that is a great shot. i wonder what a ring light would do to the
    stamen?

might have to go and shoot some flowers tomorrow...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2004
    It's really interesting how that lighting gives it energy. It's like it's exploding out of the screen.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au