Options

Google Web Toolkit

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
I'm no programmer, but I remember reading (in Onethumb's Blog?) that AJAX was hot. I don't really know what AJAX is. :dunno But I just saw this about Google Web Toolkit, a new beta from Google which I guess translates Java code into AJAX? Or Javascript, or something?

Anyway, I'm just curious what you guys think of it. Could it be used to customize Smugmug sites? And would it make things easier for a novice? And can anyone explain (in layman's terms) how Java, Javascript, AJAX, CSS and HTML relate to each other and Smugmug customization? Cuz I have no clue, and I do eventually want to spruce up my site.

Sorry for the beginner questions! If this GWT thing is crap, just say so and I'll go away!

Comments

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 17, 2006
    that's funny. everyone is so hot on making javascript frameworks and google makes a java framework.....for javascript.

and to answer the question....no you wont be able to use it for smugmug sites.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    Oh well. I have a friend that knows Java, it would have been handy.

So (if I understand you) this is a way to use Java to write Javascript? And most folks are making "translators" to go from Javascript to other things?
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    So I just wikipedia'd AJAX (duh, the J is for Javascript). Then I hit the link to Javascript and -duh- the first line says that Javascript is only distantly related to Java. So sorry for the -duh- moments, should have looked it up myself in the first place instead of bugging you folks.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 17, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I'm no programmer, but I remember reading (in Onethumb's Blog?) that AJAX was hot. I don't really know what AJAX is. ne_nau.gif But I just saw this about Google Web Toolkit, a new beta from Google which I guess translates Java code into AJAX? Or Javascript, or something?

Anyway, I'm just curious what you guys think of it. Could it be used to customize Smugmug sites? And would it make things easier for a novice? And can anyone explain (in layman's terms) how Java, Javascript, AJAX, CSS and HTML relate to each other and Smugmug customization? Cuz I have no clue, and I do eventually want to spruce up my site.

Sorry for the beginner questions! If this GWT thing is crap, just say so and I'll go away!
    Hey DJ,

Firstly, AJAX = [SIZE=-1]Asynchronous JavaScript and XML, it's basically a mechanism by which web apps can deliver content dynamically to a web client. For example, some of smugmug features....inline changing of gallery descriptions, reorganising photos in a gallery using the drag and drop thingy, zoom thumbnails, etc

Javascript is a scripting language (ie. not compiled), used client-side to provide functionality to a website. It's syntax is similar to C and Java.

CSS (or Cascading Stylesheets) is for modifying the layout and look and feel of a website using element, id and class name tags. Prior to CSS, the layout of HTML had a be done at the element level, which is very time consuming.

Java is compiled code and is typically inserted into HTML code by means of an APPLET. Can't say I am an expert on Java so I may leave it for someone else to comment.

In regard to the GWT, I have only just read the article myself, haven't had a very good-look. But in recent times there has been quite an increase in these framework type approaches to javascript. The reason for this is that alot of developers are having to reinvent the wheel so to speak on each new project. Having a framework like this to work with makes life alot easier and means that some of coding standards can be established.

As far as smugmug, there are probably portions that could be useful, if you implemented on your own site. But the major benefit would come from smugmug implementing something like this from their end. This would make customisation and developing "hacks" a lot simplier and more flexable.

Hope this makes some sense.

Cheers,

David
    [/SIZE]
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    [SIZE=-1]

Hope this makes some sense.

Cheers,

David
    [/SIZE]

That makes a lot of sense and thanks for taking so much time to write up that response. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    just to clarify on what david said....google's tool allows you to develop in java and spit out javascript. the benefits of this are that there are much nicer development environments for java than javascript, and java is a much more robust language. so you get all the benefits of a real programming language/IDE such as strongly typed variables, typechecking in the IDE, a debugger, autocomplete etc...

the thing to watch out for is what kind of javascript google's compiler wil generate...or rather how good the javascript is. i would assume it would be top notch...but you know what happens when you assume.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 17, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    there are much nicer development environments for java than javascript

you gotta check out Eclipse...java and javascript de in the same IDE, not to mention css, html, etc
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2006
    devbobo wrote:
    you gotta check out Eclipse...java and javascript de in the same IDE, not to mention css, html, etc
    stop harassing me. i've been using it on my pc...didnt work on my mac right away and i havent had time to bugger with it yet.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I'm no programmer, but I remember reading (in Onethumb's Blog?) that AJAX was hot.

These violent delights have violent ends
    And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
    Which as they kiss consume. The sweetest honey
    Is loathsome in his own deliciousness
    And in the taste confounds the appetite.
    Therefore love moderately; long love doth so;
    Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow.

Friar Laurence, Romeo and Juliet, Act 2 Scene 6

--

As others have pointeded out, Java is like Javascipt in syntax only. Personally I would argue that even its syntax is diverging.

Java is a serious scale programming language, which OK has serious problems, but is intended for writing software. It can be plugged into a website through the use of Applets, which allow functionality like Smumug's Beta uploader. In Java the security is theoretically gaurenteed through the way Java is engineered and something called a Security Manager. It is a strongly typed, quasi-robust programming language. It has strong tool support, and critically broad cross-platform support. Hence people like Sun market it as 'the programming language of the web', a slightly specious claim IMHO, but you get the idea. Applications programming for multiple platforms, chattering over the web, and limited interactions through websites.

(Note here, that Java is the only one of these things that I really know much about, I've programmed seriously in Java, but not in Javascript or AJAX)

Javascript is a scripting language inteded for jazzying webpages up and adding interactivity. It is loosly typed at best (which at least partially leads me to question whether it's even syntaticaly similar to Java). It inteded for short bursts of code that interact with HTML. It is not an applications programming language.

AJAX is a buzzword for a collection of technologies that are used to use Javascript and some other stuff to turn your browser into an application host.

So we take a (IMHO) horrible programming language (Javascript), attach it to a (IMHO) horrible application platform known to be very hard to write securely (your browser), via a (IMHO) unplesant declarative interface presentation language (XHTML).

But you get more interactive websites out the end, and when done properly it can be helpful.

GWT and the like are answers to this mess via 'syntatic sugar' to try and make things easier.

As you can probably tell, I don't think very much of AJAX and have generally been keeping my head in the sand and hoping it will go away, but as it isn't doing, I'm going to have to learn it. So things like GWT may be a great help, or they may be useless, perhaps a little too soon to tell.

For the record, I think that Smugmug's use of AJAX is almost a textbook example of how it should be used. Interactivity and functionality enhancements that you barely notice. :):

Sorry, bit of a rant, but hopefully this will help you see why some people want GWT. As for use with Smugmug, devobo, bigwebguy and Mike Lane etc. will be able to help you far better than me on any use of this, I'm an applications guy :):

Cheers,

Luke
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    i would assume it would be top notch...but you know what happens when you assume.

Hopefully, but it's a very hard problem to automatically do any form of translation even been two cosmetically similar platforms.

It will also be interesting to see how this scales.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2006
    It will also be interesting to see how this scales.

it's javascript...it'll scale as well as your design allows it to. ne_nau.gif
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    it's javascript...it'll scale as well as your design allows it to. ne_nau.gif

Sure. I meant their translator...