Options

Butterfly/Moth (My first picture)

raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited May 19, 2006 in Wildlife
Okay, I'll admit I'm a bit nervous posting on this forum as I'm a real beginner and ya'll are not :wink However, I am here to look, listen, and learn. And I enjoy sharing pictures too.

I captured this little butterfly/moth out by my pool this morning. I was using my new Nikon D50 with the kit lens (Nikkor 18-55).

Any comments, critque appreciated. Thank you!

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~agfreed/May182006 024.jpg[/img]

Comments

• Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    looks like a buckeye to me great shot I love it.

that is a butterfly
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    Welocme to Dgrin cheerleader.gif Pretty good shot there. The comp would be more effective if your subject was not so centered.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2006
    Thanks for the comments. I wasn't sure if it was a butterfly, and now I know! I agree it would be better not centered. These little things are very flity... I got several shots of them with wings up and folded closed. To have captured this one with his wings open was a joy.. I didn't have time to think about centering him :D I guess I can still crop!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    raian wrote:
    Okay, I'll admit I'm a bit nervous posting on this forum as I'm a real beginner and ya'll are not mwink.gif However, I am here to look, listen, and learn. And I enjoy sharing pictures too.

I captured this little butterfly/moth out by my pool this morning. I was using my new Nikon D50 with the kit lens (Nikkor 18-55).

Any comments, critque appreciated. Thank you!
    From one noobe to another - Welcome. There is nothing to fear here. The people on this forum are the best. They only beat up your photos when you ask for the C&C, and they ALWAYS do it with tack and caring - with an interest in HELPING. I love this place.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 18, 2006
    nice shot Raian and welcome to dGrin.

Everyone is equal here; no pros.... the "pros" just have fancy words for their photographic boo boos...

here's a quick lesson:

a) bokah = just plain blurry

b) catch light = red eye

c) rule of thirds = can't aim

d) tight crop = hide the evidence

that should hold you over for a little while. happy shooting.

oh and you're way ahead of the game shooting a Nikon. Good girl thumb.gif

lol3.gif
  • Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    I'm with you, Scott...
    From one noobe to another - Welcome. There is nothing to fear here. The people on this forum are the best. They only beat up your photos when you ask for the C&C, and they ALWAYS do it with tack and caring - with an interest in HELPING. I love this place.

But first, That is a great "bokah" shot! thumb.gif I only get good bokah, by accident. :cry It is a skill that I really need to study. Kinda like learning how to get a whaling "pick harmonic" on a guitar.ylsuper.gif

Raian,

Don't be afraid to post your stuff here. This forum is a sanctuary, for those who truly appreciate the art of photography. I am so glad that I found this place. The members are awesome. I frequent other forums, as well, and I get a lot of strife from some who (seem to) just want to challenge any thought or opinion that I express, or they put more emphasis on what camera I use and criticise if it isn't made by the same brand as theirs. I have witnessed no intolerance or condesending tones, here at D Grinthumb.gif.

So welcome, and I Guess I'll see you around...

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2006
    Thank you so much for the kind welcome. Now I'm not so afraid to post pictures... and I'm learning the lingo too. BTW, I looked up Bokah in the dictionary a couple days ago when I read it on here and sat, scratching my head, wondering WHAT are they talking about :D