Options

Our Man Shay, Wedding Photographer....

Comments

• Options
    ellepixelsellepixels Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:

what wonderful comments! Congrats Shay, on well deserved acclaim!
    Lost in Smugmug world.
    visit my website. feel free to sign the guestbook to le me know you dropped by-
    http://www.tanyadelnegro.com
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Thank you!
    Some around here may know Florindo from the STF forum. He is a great guy, and his family is too. Jen and I had a really great time. I am knee deep in processing right now. I hope to have a few photos ready by next week :D
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Wow, that's awesome, Shay. Congratulations. What a terrific testimonial.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited May 15, 2006
    I honestly don't know how you do it. I mean that as a compliment.

There is so much that you have absolutely no control over and so much that
    you must get absolutely right every time. It's got to be stressful to say the
    least.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    What a wonderful and undoubtedly well-deserved testimony about you and your wife, Shay!!! Congratulations. From what I've seen of your work on your site and your dedication to finding the time to offer advice to beginners on this forum, it comes as no surprise. To be able to find the time to do both is amazing!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    People person
    When I met Shay at the Yosemite Shoot Out, I felt like I knew him forever! As an introvert it usually takes me a while to learn to trust a person and to get to know them, so that's a huge compliment for Shay. Jennifer is very sweet, while not so much the extrovert that Shay is, one feels very calm around her. A trait I'm sure is well needed at weddings.

I've watched Shay grow from early STF days to the pro he is now. His wedding photos are simply amazing... but it's so nice to hear that having him photograph a wedding is just as pleasurable as he is in person. I well remember Florindo also from STF. I'm sure Florindo knew he was making the right choice for a photographer. I really enjoyed the description of Shay and Jennifer at the wedding -- and the light on a stand pointed at the ceiling... neat!

Two years ago I attended a wedding, and as a favor to the family was a back up photographer with my daughter Rayna. They complained that the photographer (with an assistant) was bossy, insensitive, insisted on "her" idea of poses and that she missed a lot of shots. While I'm sure there was probably lack of communication by both parties, reading how Shay and Jennifer were in contact with Florindo's family really shows how it should be done.

I for one, hope either Florindo or Shay post a link to the wedding pictures!
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    I for one, hope either Florindo or Shay post a link to the wedding pictures!

Me Too!!

Shay, What a recommendation clap.gif I'd book you thumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    i know both :wow looking forward for pictures
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    TmosleyTmosley Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Shay, can i pick your brain for a second, i was looking at your galleries,
    they are amazing, simply amazing,

just have one question, what do you use on your flash, Gary Fong, StoFen, or nothing at all,

Thanks
    Troy
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Some examples
    Tmosley wrote:
    just have one question, what do you use on your flash, Gary Fong, StoFen, or nothing at all
    It depends on where I am shooting mostly. You can see a range of lighting from natural, direct flash, to bounced flash depending on where I am. Here are some examples from the wedding...

Natural:
    gallicchio195.jpg

Direct:
    gallicchio483.jpg

Mix:
    gallicchio264.jpg

Bounce:
    gallicchio410.jpg

Small Softbox:
    gallicchio317.jpg

The softbox is the only real light modifier attachement I use. Mostly it is direct flash, bounced flash, or a combination of the two. In the next picture, if you look in the far background, you can see one of the lights trying to hide behind the pillar on a lightstand going off. It is aimed up at the ceiling here:

gallicchio430.jpg
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie