Options

Need Storage Space?

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited October 20, 2004 in The Big Picture
If you need a lot of storage space it is going to cost you. :huh
The fully occupied Xserve RAID with 5.6TB of storage comes with fourteen 400GB ATA/100 drives and has a retail price of $12,999.

The updated 3U system now offeers up to 5.6 terabytes of storage capacity at a price for storage of just over $2/GB.

I am sure for a raid it is not that expensive, especially compared to the old prices a couple years ago, but is sure seems pricey. Thankfully I do not need that much storage at the moment. I think I have about 0.6 TB at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    If you need a lot of storage space it is going to cost you. eek7.gif

I am sure for a raid it is not that expensive, especially compared to the old prices a couple years ago, but is sure seems pricey. Thankfully I do not need that much storage at the moment. I think I have about 0.6 TB at the moment.

Every time I read about current HD prices I think back to when I had a Commodore Amiga. I remember wanting a 20 megabyte harddisk... that cost $900. Now I can get 50x that amount of storage, in RAM, for less money lol3.gif
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Every time I read about current HD prices I think back to when I had a Commodore Amiga. I remember wanting a 20 megabyte harddisk... that cost $900. Now I can get 50x that amount of storage, in RAM, for less money lol3.gif

They give away 32mb cards for cameras these days. rolleyes1.gif

I wonder when we will think a TB is just not big enough for our computers?