Options

In The Pond

raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited May 20, 2006 in Wildlife
We have resident Canadian Geese that live here all year long. Here are two pics I shot this morning. I'm trying to not "center" my shots. Also, I need to learn more about white balance and how to fix/control it. Any pointers in that area appreciated. I have the Nikon D50.. not sure I can set WB on it (haven't gotten that far in the manual yet)

Also, to Harryb and all others who shoot birds, I give you KUDOS on a job well done. I've tried to get the mourning doves that frequent my feeder and they fly as soon as I start toward them. Guess I'll have to save $$$ for a long lense :D

May182006%20045.jpg

May182006%20046.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Kudos ah Gee just send money !! rolleyes1.gif

Nice job on the Geese, a tad hot on my monitor thumb.gif

All I can say is save save for long glass and shoot shoot shoot clap.gif
  • Options
    ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Are you talking about white balance as it relates to color temp or controlling the blown out white colors in the shot?

Most of the time in daylight the auto white balance should work OK. As far as the whites being blown out, I had asked the same question in this string http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23875 and, as you can see, Harryb gave me a good answer.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2006
    Thanks for the info E.B. I read the post. Um... it was a bit technical for me... but I'll go back over it and see what I can make stick on my brain cells :D
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Geese are not easy!

The first shot ain't bad.

The best shots I have of geese are early light. I wouldn't worry too much about white balance until you are sure of yourself in proper exposure. There is a lot to learn....so take it one step at a time.....cause and effect.

The water won't cause as much glare in lower light. Here's one from last year when all I did on purpose was shoot early in the morning.

21323430-L.jpg

The yellow light gives it a pleasing warmth. I think.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2006
    Thanks for the tip, Ric. How early is early??? I'm not a morning person (as I work nights) but will attempt a early rise at least once to catch some more geese.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    raian wrote:
    Thanks for the tip, Ric. How early is early??? I'm not a morning person (as I work nights) but will attempt a early rise at least once to catch some more geese.

After eight is too late!
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2006
    Well composed shots with some nice detail in them. They are a tad overexposed though. I'm not going to bog you down with some tech talk. What you need to do is just get out there and shoot. Experience is the best teacher. Try different settings and see what works for ya.

Read the manual and if you can afford it get Thom Hogan's e-book on the D50. http://bythom.com/d50guide.htm

Everytime I get a Nikon camera I get Thom's e-book for it. They have been a tremendous help. What lenses are you using now?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2006
    Harryb, thanks so much for the link to the ebook.. I definitely will be checking that out. I did print off Ken Rockwell's info on the D50 to learn the basic functions, etc...

I'm using the 18-55 lense that came with it. And that's all I'll be using for a while as I shot my wad on the camera and a new computer. I am hoping to be a "good girl" so Santa will bring me a longer lense. A friend suggested the 70-300.