Options

RAW and jpg, same CF card??

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited October 21, 2004 in Technique
Can one do that, start with jpeg, switch, do some raw, and go back to jpeg?

Kind of like that? Does a memory card have to be all of one or the other?

Beginner question of the day, maybe I can be even dimmer when I have my coffee.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

ginger
    Ginger,
    you can mix them up as much as you like, I do it all the time. You can probably even do both at the same time!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2004
    Dunno about both formats at the same time, but like Gubbs, I've used the same card for both. Not a problem. Don't see why you wouldn't be able to switch formats in mid-stream, and be OK. As long as you don't switch cameras, that is.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    yes and...
    Im using a 20d and can do that.. 1 nice thing about the camera it can actually write raw and jpg all at one time so i have both worlds.
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 7, 2004
    Im using a 20d and can do that.. 1 nice thing about the camera it can actually write raw and jpg all at one time so i have both worlds.
    The 1DMkii also will write RAW and Jpgs at the same time - I do not believe the 10D will do this and I suspect the 300D will not write both simultaneously. I am sure the REBEL can write jpg followed by a new shot RAW on the same card tho.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    raw and jpeg
    the d70 will do both look in image quality on the camera menu it will tell there i think? on most cameras deal.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    The 1DMkii also will write RAW and Jpgs at the same time - I do not believe the 10D will do this and I suspect the 300D will not write both simultaneously. I am sure the REBEL can write jpg followed by a new shot RAW on the same card tho.
    K

The 10D will write both, but the jpeg is "imbedded" in the RAW file. I suspect the rebel may do this as well. I never really tried to find this imbedded JPEG, but suspect that you could use the Canon software.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 7, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    K

The 10D will write both, but the jpeg is "imbedded" in the RAW file. I suspect the rebel may do this as well. I never really tried to find this imbedded JPEG, but suspect that you could use the Canon software.

Actually, Thomas, I have never even loaded the Canon software on my computer, I have only used Photoshotp CS. :D

On page 48 of the manual for the 10D, it does say that a jpg is simultaneously embedded within the RAW file and that you need the Canon software to extract it. WIh Custom Function 8 you can determine the type of jpg saved with the RAW file. I suspect this is also true for the 300D. Thanks for clearing this up.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    yes the 20d I have mine set to write raw and small jpg that way I can look at the pic and decide what I want to do with it. When I decide I can use the raw file. They sit one right after the other in the dir.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    RAW + JPG in 300D
    pathfinder wrote:
    WIh Custom Function 8 you can determine the type of jpg saved with the RAW file. I suspect this is also true for the 300D.

The 300D will not do this. Its either JPG or RAW, but not both. A firmware hack can fix this, however, and make it like the 10D. I don't see the value in this though, since the JPG is embedded in the RAW image rather than a separate file. Its one nice thing about the 20D -- truly separate RAW and JPG files. Now if Canon were only to adopt Adobe DNG...
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2004
    to avoid confusion, ginger
    ginger_55 wrote:

ginger

YES you can do what you are asking. no problems, go for it.
  • Options
    efontanaefontana Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2004
    andy wrote:
    YES you can do what you are asking. no problems, go for it.
    I have a 20D, it supports simultaneous Jpeg + RAW. As far as I understand it, even if you shoot just RAW, there is an embeded Jpeg inside it for thumbnail purposes, it is not a full sized jpeg, it's what gets displayed in the preview window, so they are not the same thing.

If you shoot RAW (I do), why would you waste CF space by adding the Jpeg as well? I use breezebrowser to do the conversions later??
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Raw + Jpg
    efontana wrote:
    If you shoot RAW (I do), why would you waste CF space by adding the Jpeg as well? I use breezebrowser to do the conversions later??

The only reason I can think of is it saves (a bit of) time. Suppose you shoot in-camera with saturation and sharpness turned up a bit. The JPG will have that already processed in. With RAW you will need to do that later (in breezebrowser, C1, PS CS, whatever). But if you are pleased with the in-camera JPG results then it is all done. If not, then you twiddle the accompanying RAW and convert.

You are right, though, it takes up a lot of CF space.

I guess one advantage to Canon's converter software is the RAW file is embedded with the camera settings and the converter knows that (i.e. it will add +1 sharpness upon conversion, etc). Too bad the software is so slow. But, I guess if you like most the results, and only have to twiddle a few files, it works relatively well.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Another reason for shooting both Raw & Jpeg on the 20D is that you can shoot B/W jpeg , plus still have the original Raw file for colour.

Regards,
    Brad

efontana wrote:
    I have a 20D, it supports simultaneous Jpeg + RAW. As far as I understand it, even if you shoot just RAW, there is an embeded Jpeg inside it for thumbnail purposes, it is not a full sized jpeg, it's what gets displayed in the preview window, so they are not the same thing.