Options

New Gallery note

yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited May 26, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I've noticed on some SM sites that there is a memo line underneath a category that says something like, "2 new galleries..."

I can't figure out how to activate that. :dunno Can someone help? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    yoyostock wrote:
    I've noticed on some SM sites that there is a memo line underneath a category that says something like, "2 new galleries..."

I can't figure out how to activate that. ne_nau.gif Can someone help? Thanks!
    Hi Yoyostock,

I am not really sure what you are referring to, do you have a link for us maybe? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    Here's a random SM site I found (thanks Sibo!) http://sibo.smugmug.com. Under the gallery categories, there are lines that say, "20 galleries with 936 pictures," or something to that respect. I know how to include that description line for a single gallery, but can't seem to figure out how to do that at the category level.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    yoyostock wrote:
    Here's a random SM site I found (thanks Sibo!) http://sibo.smugmug.com. Under the gallery categories, there are lines that say, "20 galleries with 936 pictures," or something to that respect. I know how to include that description line for a single gallery, but can't seem to figure out how to do that at the category level.
    IT's a gallery option, clean or not clean.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yep, it is, you can set it in the 'customize gallery' page for each gallery. Your homepage shows them aswell, aslong as your galleries are not set to 'clean' thumb.gif
  • Options
    mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Yep, it is, you can set it in the 'customize gallery' page for each gallery. Your homepage shows them aswell, aslong as your galleries are not set to 'clean'

Is there anyway to see this info for each gallery?
    (as opposed to the compiled information presented for each category.)
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    Is there anyway to see this info for each gallery?
    (as opposed to the compiled information presented for each category.)
    I just looked at your site, and it shows the info on each gallery ne_nau.gif Remember, for one gallery, you won't see the 'XX galleries, XXX photos', what you will see is the gallery description if filled in, and the last updated time/date. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    I just looked at your site, and it shows the info on each gallery ne_nau.gif Remember, for one gallery, you won't see the 'XX galleries, XXX photos', what you will see is the gallery description if filled in, and the last updated time/date. Hope this helps.

What you saw on the home page is the "categories" which displays a summary of all the galleries that a given category contains.

Is it possible to display that information for each individual "gallery"? (I assume from your response that it is not possible?)

If not could SM add that feature? It would sure beat having to check each gallery individually to make find out how many photos are in it. I assume they already have the data and simply choose not to display it.
    -- Mike

• Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    What you saw on the home page is the "categories" which displays a summary of all the galleries that a given category contains.

Is it possible to display that information for each individual "gallery"? (I assume from your response that it is not possible?)
    Each gallery only contains the photos from that gallery, so it could never say 'XX galleries'. Or do you mean it would just say 'XX photos'? that's really the only information possible.

It doesn't do that now as far as i know, just the description, and last updated info. I don't know if it's doable, but if that's something you really want, you can always put in a request thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Each gallery only contains the photos from that gallery, so it could never say 'XX galleries'. Or do you mean it would just say 'XX photos'? that's really the only information possible.

It doesn't do that now as far as i know, just the description, and last updated info. I don't know if it's doable, but if that's something you really want, you can always put in a request thumb.gif

thanks :):. Yes, I meant to show the number of photos within a displayed gallery.

Ok will add that to feature request thread....
    -- Mike

• Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Thanks, Andy. I think my original question wasn't very clear though. Let me try again...is there a way to display, on the main home page, that a new gallery has been added to a given category, while keeping the individual galleries within a category in "clean" mode?

Here's what I'm trying to do: I have two new galleries that I would like to add. One will go into the "Weddings" category and the other will be in the "Travel" category. I'm hoping that there is a way to show - in a description line similar to the "3 galleries with 200 photos" line - that these categories contain these new galleries, not merely show that a given category contains a certain number of galleries. That way, people who view the main page can immediately see which categories contain new galleries without having to fish through the categories checking the "updated on" dates.

What I've been doing so far, with individual galleries, is using the description line to write, "100 new pictures," for those galleries that contain new pictures. After about a couple of weeks, I put that gallery back into "clean" mode. I think my friends and family have figured out that when they see a gallery with "XX new pictures," that means that's a gallery with recently added photos.

Any thoughts? Future SM suggestion?
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    yoyostock wrote:
    Thanks, Andy. I think my original question wasn't very clear though. Let me try again...is there a way to display, on the main home page, that a new gallery has been added to a given category, while keeping the individual galleries within a category in "clean" mode?

Here's what I'm trying to do: I have two new galleries that I would like to add. One will go into the "Weddings" category and the other will be in the "Travel" category. I'm hoping that there is a way to show - in a description line similar to the "3 galleries with 200 photos" line - that these categories contain these new galleries, not merely show that a given category contains a certain number of galleries. That way, people who view the main page can immediately see which categories contain new galleries without having to fish through the categories checking the "updated on" dates.

What I've been doing so far, with individual galleries, is using the description line to write, "100 new pictures," for those galleries that contain new pictures. After about a couple of weeks, I put that gallery back into "clean" mode. I think my friends and family have figured out that when they see a gallery with "XX new pictures," that means that's a gallery with recently added photos.

Any thoughts? Future SM suggestion?
    Right now it is not possible to modify the "XX galleries, XX photos" line. What you could do to give the galleries a bit of extra attention, is to feature the gallery. Or, what you can do is make a small image (such as a star saying 'new' or something) and (temporarily) add that to the gallery description using HTML. You could even make it so using CSS that it only shows on the homepage, and not in the actual gallery pages.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Right now it is not possible to modify the "XX galleries, XX photos" line. What you could do to give the galleries a bit of extra attention, is to feature the gallery. Or, what you can do is make a small image (such as a star saying 'new' or something) and (temporarily) add that to the gallery description using HTML. You could even make it so using CSS that it only shows on the homepage, and not in the actual gallery pages.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ivar. I'm still learning how to customize things, so until I get a better handle on that, I'm going to probably resort to just featuring galleries. I guess that'll achieve the same goal.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    yoyostock wrote:
    Thanks, Ivar. I'm still learning how to customize things, so until I get a better handle on that, I'm going to probably resort to just featuring galleries. I guess that'll achieve the same goal.
    15524779-Ti.gif