Options

AMA Superbike @ Infineon

zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited May 26, 2006 in Sports
I have not been able to shoot any motorsports since MotoGP at Laguna last year :cry . It's been a long time coming, but it was nice to finally get out there and start blowing out the cob webs. Here are a few that I liked from the weekend. Feel free to comment.

Jeff

Hodgson gettin his mojo working.

70872725-L.jpg

Maladin on a hot lap

70874054-L.jpg

Show off...

70886072-L.jpg

This guy was spinning the rear tire for the last 5 laps through turn 2.

70892514-L.jpg

I think Ben won everything he raced in this weekend. Plus set(or tied) a record for 6 wins in a row in the Superbike class.

70890911-L.jpg

Chandler through turn 2.

70880158-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Excellent pics, Jeff. thumb.gif Looks like you changed locations quite a bit, too.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Nice shotsthumb.gif But it looks like it's time to clean the sensor! One spot on the right...saw it other shots on your site too....don't you hate that?
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2006
    Great Shots
    Like them all thumb.gifthumb.gifclap.gif .
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2006
    Thanks for the comments all...You're right Jeffro, time for a sensor cleaning..mwink.gif

Jeff
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    cool thumb.gif
    love the show off & 'grass tracking on a superbike'
    zed wrote:
    I have not been able to shoot any motorsports since MotoGP at Laguna last year :cry . It's been a long time coming, but it was nice to finally get out there and start blowing out the cob webs. Here are a few that I liked from the weekend. Feel free to comment.

Jeff
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    All of them are very Nice, show off is my favorite too. any spec details , to the shots you can share ?
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    Thanks AdrianK and CookieS. CookieS, As I said in the beginning, I had not been to this track in a while, so most of Saturday was just experimentation. I reviewed them that night in hopes of a little more success rate on Sunday. The "Show off" shot was shot in shutter priority at 1/800 and f7.1 at ISO 200. Here are a few shots of riders coming down the same straight.

This guy is going about 100-130 mph.
    Settings were 1/800 f7.1 ISO200. Still has some blurr to the wheels.

70887942-L.jpg

Under heavy braking here and beginning a quick right left sequence of turns. He is going about 50-75 mph.
    Settings were: 1/640 f5.6 ISO 100. Still some blurr to the wheels...maybe not as much as the first shot, so I could have slowed more.

71057672-L.jpg

This one is coming out of the left hander of the "bus stop" sequence I was talking about. One of the slower parts of the track. He's going about 30-50 mph.
    Settings: 1/250 f8.0 ISO100

70888973-L.jpg

All were shot on shutter priority with my 20D and the 100-400 "dust pump".:D

The shot of the guy spinning his tire was at 1/1000 f5.6 ISO200. Any head on shots(or straight behind), I would bump up the shutter speed and adjust the ISO as needed to get the aperature as large as possible, to let in as much light as I could to try to help it focus faster and keep the DOF as short as possible. I was not worried about the blurr of the wheels, because you cannot see anything moving anyway.

Another head on shot. Another slow part of the track...1/640 f5.6 ISO100. I could have shot it at 1/1000 or more and you would not be able to tell. f5.6 is the max aperature my lens will go, so if I wanted to bump up the shutter speed and still have the correct exposure I would have needed to change the ISO to 200 or 400.

70880975-L.jpg

Hope these are the kind of details you asking about...:D

Jeff
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited May 25, 2006
    Jeff,

Some nice piccies. I liked the show-off one. I saw that today on the way
    back from lunch...A much nicer stand-up wheelie :D

Since I can't wheelie very well, this is something I love to see. Not to
    mention the track is the place for that stuff.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    OH MY, Yes thanks, Im always intested in getting the most out of my 20D, I always end up using my center focus point, Im wondering if you have others set , seems hard to recompose with all the fast panning, Did you use AI servo ??? ( part of testing myself) thanks for bearing with the questions. I may have to start saving for the 100-400.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    CookieS wrote:
    OH MY, Yes thanks, Im always intested in getting the most out of my 20D, I always end up using my center focus point, Im wondering if you have others set , seems hard to recompose with all the fast panning, Did you use AI servo ??? ( part of testing myself) thanks for bearing with the questions. I may have to start saving for the 100-400.rolleyes1.gif

Yes, AI servo and yes again, I did use different focus points depending on where I wanted the bike to be in the frame. And I tried different focus points at the same shooting location just to have the bike composed in different parts of the frame to see what I liked. Yea, I know how it is....it took me a while to save up for the lens too. No worries about the questions...I'm no pro but I don't mind sharing what I have learned.

Jeff