Options

E-Bay Battery Packs

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited October 21, 2004 in Accessories
Anyone ever buy any BP-511 battery packs off ebay? Just wondering if I should spend the $55.00 for one at the camera store or just order one of the off brands from ebay.
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 13, 2004
    Anyone ever buy any BP-511 battery packs off ebay? Just wondering if I should spend the $55.00 for one at the camera store or just order one of the off brands from ebay.

B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=232733&is=REG B&H has batteries for the BP-11 for 34.95. I have used one of these and cannot tell the difference. I would rather buy from B&H or Adorama than from someone off of Ebay, unless there was a lot more money involved.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ajacobs2ajacobs2 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 21, 2004
    Off -shore (term in the business for 2nd level or price point products) batteries are as diversified as the people using them.

Here are a few tips:

Buy from a place you can return it to. B&H or Adorama won't give you a problem if you get a dud.

DUD's are common, cheaper means knockoff, copy, lesser quality control of the construction the mash or even the packaging. Thus being able to bail is simpler with a good dealer than chasing an ebay aftermarketer.

Some after markets are from third world countries and some are from out of this world countries.

We carried several brands in the store and found some didn't have compatibility with some of the cameras using a third sensor for heat.

Again another reason to deal with the aforementioned retail companies.