Options

Arrrrgh! Tenba PM-17C

limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited May 14, 2007 in Accessories
So I bought the Tenba PM-17C thinking hey that's a nice camera messenger bag that can carry my laptop too... (there are few good ones out there that are slim, messenger style)

Well, this bag is NOT a camera bag... But they sure make it out to seem like it is:

http://www.tenba.com/products/2000_01_pm17c.asp

I should have known from the "or even clothes and supplies for a day’s travel or trip to the gym" but even the "View Inside" is a bit misleading...

Arrrrgh!! :gun2

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    limbik wrote:
    So I bought the Tenba PM-17C thinking hey that's a nice camera messenger bag that can carry my laptop too... (there are few good ones out there that are slim, messenger style)

Well, this bag is NOT a camera bag... But they sure make it out to seem like it is:

http://www.tenba.com/products/2000_01_pm17c.asp

I should have known from the "or even clothes and supplies for a day’s travel or trip to the gym" but even the "View Inside" is a bit misleading...

Arrrrgh!! :gun2

Sure looks like a camera bag to me...
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 21, 2006
    that sucks, so what's it really look like inside? bad reviews are helpful too. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    that sucks, so what's it really look like inside? bad reviews are helpful too. nod.gif

If you want a plain old messenger bag that has a nice padded back and an insert for your laptop, a gazillion pockets, plus a really heavy duty strap... then this is your bag. Frankly I would never have paid a hundred bucks for it had I known it lacked any functionality as a camera bag.

The problem is that the space where they show the camra, lens, and flash, looks like your usual sectioned padded camera compartment. Its not.

It is actually just a big open space with an adittional flap/pocket that hangs in from the front for papers and such. I have no idea how they have the camera propped up the way they do in the product shots, very misleading if you ask me. I mean really, whio is going to throw thousands of dollars of camera gear unprotected in an open bag? There is more padding for the laptop and the camera cost at least 3x more! Apparently they will do it for CDs so its OK for L-Glass. :crazy

2000_01_pm17c_rbig.jpg
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    That really sucks... very misleading. Is there a way to create some kind of inserts or dividers?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    The body is probably standing on lens.

I like a space for each lens so I understand your frustration. You could recover from buying that bag by buying a few wraps so your gear is padded from each other
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    That does seem odd indeed. Did you contact Tenba to see if there are inserts that were missing? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    I don't see anything resembling a divider in that shot.

I sympathize with you, Limbik.

This is dirty pool by Tenba, shame on them.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I don't see anything resembling a divider in that shot.

I sympathize with you, Limbik.

This is dirty pool by Tenba, shame on them.

Is not that I saw a divider, its just that I assumed that it had them by the position of everything. It is a deep bag, so I was foolishly tihnking the dividers were simply not full height, which would be perfect. The compartment is obviously not made for padded inserts and nothing appears to be missing, but I did email them just to give em a piece of my mind. I really need the dividers because I use a verical shoulder bag with the camera as they show it so I can leave it in the bag but "quick draw" which I currently do with my 7 Million Dollar Home, but that lacks a place for the laptop so I was looking for a replacement. I actually considered keeping itand using some of those Domke inserts, but the inside of this bag is a slick ripstop nylon and the insert would probably pull right out of the bag with the camera.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    limbik wrote:
    Is not that I saw a divider, its just that I assumed that it had them by the position of everything.
    Sure, I understand. I'd assume the same thing.

That's why it's a deceitful photograph by Tenba, who should be ashamed of themselves.

Boycott Tenba now!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    The REAL Tenba PM-17C:

60986523-S-1.jpg
    60986227-S-2.jpg
    60987128-S-1.jpg
    60986033-S.jpg
    60986932-S.jpg
    60986772-S-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2006
    Thanks for the photos, that is very poor marketing on their part. I really like their products, but this one misses the mark, especially with the photos they show. I will be curious to hear what they have to say. Now I know why that bag is priced where it is.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    Wow, that is deceptive as all get-out! How on earth did they get that product shot for the web! :uhoh
    Erik

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Can't you send it back? This is a good example why actually getting your hands on gear prior to purchasing is the way to go. Unfortunately, we can't always find the products we want locally. Sucks.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Can't you send it back? This is a good example why actually getting your hands on gear prior to purchasing is the way to go. Unfortunately, we can't always find the products we want locally. Sucks.

Yes, its on its way back. But you are right, because I'm out $20 in shipping costs so far. I'd imagine this bag won't be in many camera shops, unless Tenba pulled one over on them too.

Either way, I'm back to looking for a bag. If this had a camera compartment with padded dividers it would have been great. I would like to find a fairly inconspicuous messenger style bag, black, with padded dividers for camera with lens attached, a large lens and at least one smaller one, and a flash, plus a laptop compartment. I'm trying to avoid something that looks like a camera bag, or like a laptop bag, both tend to be fatter and obviously padded. I'm open to suggestions at this point.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    limbik wrote:
    Either way, I'm back to looking for a bag. If this had a camera compartment with padded dividers it would have been great. I would like to find a fairly inconspicuous messenger style bag, black, with padded dividers for camera with lens attached, a large lens and at least one smaller one, and a flash, plus a laptop compartment. I'm trying to avoid something that looks like a camera bag, or like a laptop bag, both tend to be fatter and obviously padded. I'm open to suggestions at this point.
    So I was in this same situation myself some time ago...

See here: messenger style/laptop/photo/messenger bag

Patch actually suggested your Tenba in that thread. Being the hip snob that I am, I said it looked too much like a laptop bag, so I passed on it (glad I did). I think you're finding the same thing as me, this mythical bag you want bag doesn't really exist! Well, it does, but it's bigger than you probably think.

My solution was the Crumpler December Quarter (pictured in that thread above), but it's not sold in the US. You can talk to Thusie about how hard it is to get one... currently engaged in an ebay battle to get one from the UK. I was lucky enough to stumble across the Crumpler store in Prague, and scooped one up while on a visit there.

If you find anything else, toss it in that thread. Maybe we can revive it and update it as a future reference.
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Patch actually suggested your Tenba in that thread. Being the hip snob that I am, I said it looked too much like a laptop bag, so I passed on it (glad I did).

Yes I remember that well. I am bummed to hear they did not put any padding for between the cameras/lenses. It looks good from the photos and I have always been happy with my other Tenba bags and cases. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    Wow, the December Quarter looks amazing...
    I really love my 7 Million Dollar Home, that would be ideal.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    I bought this bag this week as my new laptop bag. I wanted to be able to carry a laptop, plus a few items. It does have a decent amount of room for books or a light jacket, etc. I may use it to take the 30D and lens around, but I would definitely use a lens wrap for them. I am happy with the construction of the bag and the numerous pocket. I will see how I like it in a few weeks.

I also picked up a used PD-15C. I think this is the bag you would have wanted. It is very well padded, has a laptop slot and lots of pockets, but it is more expensive, does not look like a messenger bag and is a lot larger. It is useful for me when I need to grab the 30D and a lens or two. thumb.gif
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    My DL/undercover bag is a http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm?categoryId=6&skusetId=129
    Timbuktu messenger bage size large, yeah there is no insert so this is what I do... I lift the insert from my Lowepro Stealth reporter 300 AW and put it in the timbuktu. The bottom of the Timbuktu is wide, and the insert sits very nicely in the bag. My bag is a very early version, and only has inside pockets but this just adds to the stealth nature. The bag is built SUPER tough, and the inside is lined with a thick black rubberized waterproof material. I don't feel it is AS water-resistent as the 300 AW with rainfly deployed, but it is damn good. Domke also sells various modular inserts of high report which can be retrofitted into non-padded messenger syle bags. The thing I like the best about the messenger style is as a die hard open shoulder bag shooter when I am in the action I can fold the top behind the bag and have access to all my lenses, and even a place to rest my camera during lens changes.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    My DL/undercover bag is a http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm?categoryId=6&skusetId=129
    Timbuktu messenger bage size large, yeah there is no insert so this is what I do... I lift the insert from my Lowepro Stealth reporter 300 AW and put it in the timbuktu. The bottom of the Timbuktu is wide, and the insert sits very nicely in the bag. My bag is a very early version, and only has inside pockets but this just adds to the stealth nature. The bag is built SUPER tough, and the inside is lined with a thick black rubberized waterproof material. I don't feel it is AS water-resistent as the 300 AW with rainfly deployed, but it is damn good. Domke also sells various modular inserts of high report which can be retrofitted into non-padded messenger syle bags. The thing I like the best about the messenger style is as a die hard open shoulder bag shooter when I am in the action I can fold the top behind the bag and have access to all my lenses, and even a place to rest my camera during lens changes.
    I've been carrying a timbuk for years... and it has occurred to me on several occasions to try and find an insert for one of my many messenger bags (I actually prefer my Bailey Bros to the Timbuk). I'll have to see what Domke has in that department...

as for H2O proof-ness, Timbuks may not have tight zippers, but the material is so waterproof it also makes a great beer cooler, and the melting ice will never leak on your back. naughty.gif
    Erik

• Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I think you're finding the same thing as me, this mythical bag you want bag doesn't really exist!

Considering the growth of DSLR sales and laptop proliferation, I would imagine there is quite a market for this mythical beast (I wanted/want one).

We should develop one here at DGrin, start our own damned company... hey Smugmug, how's about a little financial backing mwink.gif - :D

-leDude
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    Considering the growth of DSLR sales and laptop proliferation, I would imagine there is quite a market for this mythical beast (I wanted/want one).

We should develop one here at DGrin, start our own damned company... hey Smugmug, how's about a little financial backing mwink.gif - :D

-leDude
    I think its less mythical beast and more our collective infatuation with bags... On the plus side, I'm finding I'm not the only one that suffers from this affliction. Sure we play it off as "searching for the right one", but really its just "I want a different one" over and over again.
    lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I think its less mythical beast and more our collective infatuation with bags... On the plus side, I'm finding I'm not the only one that suffers from this affliction. Sure we play it off as "searching for the right one", but really its just "I want a different one" over and over again.
    lol3.gif

I am retiring as a bag lady. My friend's wonder about my bag obsession. One day I will take a photo of all my camera bags, cases, backpacks, duffel bags......... :uhoh
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I am retiring as a bag lady. My friend's wonder about my bag obsession. One day I will take a photo of all my camera bags, cases, backpacks, duffel bags......... :uhoh
    They don't make a lens wide enough.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    They don't make a lens wide enough.

I was planning to use your 5D and the 24mm TSE so I could make it a pano. blbl.gif
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I was planning to use your 5D and the 24mm TSE so I could make it a pano. blbl.gif
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    I still have and use the PM-17C a lot, mostly for my laptop and a few random item.

Tenba has made a similar, but larger messenger style photo bag. It is much better padded for cameras. I saw it in person briefly, but hope to see one and load some cameras in it soon. It looks like a good camera, lens or two, flash and laptop bag. thumb.gif

Tenba Shootout: Photo/Laptop Courier