geez--what jerks-

done, and watch your language.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 25, 2006
    gee, I thought mine was much more descriptive and accurate-

and obviously you don't see all my posts or I would have a lot more edits-

and I do watch my language very carefully; you just might not agree with it-

best
    george
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    gee, I thought mine was much more descriptive and accurate-

and obviously you don't see all my posts or I would have a lot more edits-

and I do watch my language very carefully; you just might not agree with it-

best
    george

It was more descriptive and accurate. It just wasn't PG, IMO. I laughed, and then I changed it. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited May 25, 2006
    well, as long as you laughed--
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    Feedback for the moderators
    I know that there's a practice of moving some posts to combine them into other threads. I understand why that might be desirable. But, when that gets done and the original poster has no idea what has happened, it often feels to the original poster like their posting just disappeared. It happened to me when I posted something about the outage and my posting got moved into another thread that wasn't so obviously about the full-blown outage.

I honestly thought my posting got deleted. I thought maybe Smugmug was censoring postings about service disruptions. I thought that was strange of Smugmug and seemed out of character with dgin. But, I had no other explanation for why my posting disappeared. Eventually, after a lot of wasted time by myself, I found that it was now part of another thread.

I've posted about this before and was told that moderators just don't have time to let the original poster know that their posting has been moved.

You can decide that that's the standard operating procedure. I just wanted to let you know that the standard reaction from a poster whose post just seems to disappear into thin air is to get pissed that their posting is no longer around and start to think of dgrin suspiciously and start to wonder what the moderators are really up to. I know Smugmug, the moderators intentions and have even previously discussed this issue here at dgrin and my first reaction was to think suspiciously about what happened. I guess that's just human nature. So, this isn't about right or wrong. You get to decide how the moderators do this. I just wanted to let you know what it feels like to have your posting disappear and what it causes a dgrin customer to think (even if its only temporary before it all gets explained).

Possible solutions are to:
    • Not move postings without informing the original poster and probably other posters in the thread too
    • Not move postings at all
    • Leave the old thread for awhile with a pointer to the new location, but marked as closed so no new activity can go there
    • And, there are probably some other options too if folks wanted to really put their thinking caps on.
    In the grand scheme of things, I'm sure this isn't a big issue, but I know you pride yourselves on great customer service so I thought I'd provide feedback about a situation where a customer has a not-so-great experience.

P.S. I'll be personally off-line for the next 24 hrs so not able to respond right away if this generates any discussion. I just thought I should post while my recent experience was fresh in my mind.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I know that there's a practice of moving some posts to combine them into other threads. I understand why that might be desirable. But, when that gets done and the original poster has no idea what has happened, it often feels to the original poster like their posting just disappeared. It happened to me when I posted something about the outage and my posting go moved into another thread.

I honestly thought my posting got deleted. I thought maybe Smugmug was censoring postings about service disruptions. I thought that was strange of Smugmug and seemed out of character with dgin. But, I had no other explanation for why my posting disappeared. Eventually, after a lot of wasted time by myself, I found that it was now part of another thread.

I've posted about this before and was told that moderators just don't have time to let the original poster know that their posting has been moved.

You can decide that that's the standard operating procedure. I just wanted to let you know that the standard reaction from a poster whose post just seems to disappear into thin air is to get pissed that their posting is no longer around and start to think of dgrin suspiciously and start to wonder what the moderators are really up to. I know Smugmug, the moderators intentions and have even previously discussed this issue here at dgrin and my first reaction was to think suspiciously about what happened. I guess that's just human nature. So, this isn't about right or wrong. You get to decide how the moderators do this. I just wanted to let you know what it feels like to have your posting disappear and what it causes a dgrin customer to think (even if its only temporary before it all gets explained).

Possible solutions are to:
    • Not move postings without informing the original poster and probably other posters in the thread too
    • Not move postings at all
    • Leave the old thread for awhile with a pointer to the new location, but marked as closed so no new activity can go there
    • And, there are probably some other options too if folks wanted to really put their thinking caps on.
    P.S. I'll be personally off-line for the next 24 hrs so not able to respond right away if this generates any discussion. I just thought I should post while my recent experience was fresh in my mind.
    I'm sorry this confused you, John. I consolidate posts. Why? So that all of the folks at SmugMug can see them in ONE spot. If you ever have a doubt, just click on your name, you'll find all your posts deal.gif

Let me be loud, clear, and to the point: We Never, Ever, Ever would delete such posts. Not ever. We WANT to hear from you.

I'm terribly sorry that you have all these suspicions. Show me where we've EVER tried to hide something, it's just doesn't happen, John. I and the team put heart and soul into SmugMug and this forum. We care deeply about what you and all our customers have to say.

Oh and I HAVE instructed all the moderators to PM n00bs when posts are moved. But not experienced Dgrinners, as it shouldn't be necessary. But we'll consider it.

Again, so sorry you had trouble with this.
    edited May 31, 2006
    Thread moved to sticky mod's request thread, poster notified by email.
    edited May 31, 2006
    John,

I'll echo Andy. Thanks for the feedback.

Personally, I don't see myself (can't speak for the others) changing a whole lot about how I manage posts. It's a lot of work and we're all volunteers. Well, aside from Andy. But he's a special case.

Moderating is time consuming, and we do our best to take care of our members at all levels. I will go out of my way to help someone new to the board understand how we operate, but you're just way too experienced to need that much hand holding. Like Andy said, if you can't find a post, go to your CP and find your posts. If you have a question, ask we'll be happy to help.

There's an awful lot that goes on behind the scenes here, and we're working hard to make this place better. We're counting on experienced members like you to help.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited May 31, 2006
    I've been moved-

I've been edited-

I've been removed (no, that was me doing it myself)-

but, amazingly enough, I've been tolerated-

I agree with john, but only within the context of the mods having the time and the wherewithal to comply to john's request-

you say you'll inform the newbies; that's good and I would think a must-

your point about checking the posts is a good one-

I don't always agree with what you all do or say but I don't think it's a job my temperament would take-

having said all that, overall, being on this forum has been a good experience for me and it is due in large part to the ones that run it with a firm but tolerant hand-

thanks
    george
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    edited June 4, 2006
    saurora wrote:

That spam has been spurned.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    *sigh*

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35831

boy would it be nice if a new user's 1st post had to be reviewed by (or at least was copied to) a mod. :):
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited June 10, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    *sigh*

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35831

boy would it be nice if a new user's 1st post had to be reviewed by (or at least was copied to) a mod. :):

Nah. Cause then there'd be the inverse problem. The spammers are
    easy to deal with in smallish numbers lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 10, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Nah. Cause then there'd be the inverse problem.
    I guess I don't understand, but that's not unusual.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    I guess I don't understand, but that's not unusual.
    It's less work for us to not check the first post, and delete the spam, than it is to check all of the first posts :D
    edited June 10, 2006
    are there really that many new members joining each day?

(I meant the first post for a user, not the first of each thread)
    edited June 10, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    are there really that many new members joining each day?

(I meant the first post for a user, not the first of each thread)
    nod.gif
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited June 15, 2006
    thanks! taken care of this.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 22, 2006
    edited June 22, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    Thanks, looks like Andy already took care of it thumb.gif
  • Dave LeeDave Lee Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    Move this post, please
    I should have put it in sports:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35649
    =====================
    davidleephoto.smugmug.com
    edited June 22, 2006
    Dave Lee wrote:
    I should have put it in sports:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35649
    Done thumb.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 28, 2006
    There are currently two separate threads discussing Adobe's acquisition of Pixmantec/Raw Shooter:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=36867
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=36866

I suggest combining them.

Regards,
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    There are currently two separate threads discussing Adobe's acquisition of Pixmantec/Raw Shooter:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=36867
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=36866

I suggest combining them.

Regards,

Done, it is one thread in the News forum. thumb.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    edited June 29, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Looks like something went wrong with attaching the photo, no problem. Or am i missing something else?
    edited June 29, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Ah, you meant there were two of them? dealt with.... For future reference though, please specify the problem. Thanks.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Ah, you meant there were two of them? dealt with.... For future reference though, please specify the problem. Thanks.
    Sorry, for me it just came up as an empty thread with only a period as the title and body. I'll be more thorough in the future.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto