Options

Working Horse

cowgirl21cowgirl21 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited October 22, 2004 in Wildlife
I went riding yesterday and got this photo. Is there anything I should do to improve it?:cry

Comments

• Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    working horse
    This is a thinker for me. It is a nice photograph, I wonder if the horse is a bit too much off the page or not.
    There is a lot of free space to the right, so I wonder...
    I would accentuate the horse more by cropping the right and bottom a bit, so the focus goes to the eye of the horse. I think it would have been better if you saw a bit more of his eye.
    All in all I think this is a lovely portrait, well captured, you can see the sweat on his fur, so you can see what your title says: it is a working horse.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2004
    I do wish I had more of the eye.Here it is again, cropped and stretched a bit.rolleyes1.gif
    cowgirl21 wrote:
    I went riding yesterday and got this photo. Is there anything I should do to improve it?:cry
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    workhorse
    I need to reconsider, now that the cord in the bottom is gone, it is cropped too much. But the overall picture is better already for me. I think the horse is more the main focus point now in the picture.
    What do you think yourself? Because we are all different and have different views. I do think it looks better with less green on the right, but I think the cord should definitely be in the picture...
    Any thoughts on that?

oops, i scrolled back and there it was the cord.
    Yes, it is perfect now.... (allas, for me, and I am only an amateur)
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2004
    I think the horse could be a bit more sharp, but I love that the background is blurred. This lets the horse be the main focus. I love to ride and I think it shows the freedom you have when you ride. I like this picture overall. I am just an amateur also though. I love the feedback!rolleyes1.gif

photocat wrote:
    I need to reconsider, now that the cord in the bottom is gone, it is cropped too much. But the overall picture is better already for me. I think the horse is more the main focus point now in the picture.
    What do you think yourself? Because we are all different and have different views. I do think it looks better with less green on the right, but I think the cord should definitely be in the picture...
    Any thoughts on that?

oops, i scrolled back and there it was the cord.
    Yes, it is perfect now.... (allas, for me, and I am only an amateur)
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    I like the picture alot but also agree that it could be a little bit sharper. I would say try to sharpen it a little bit with whatever program you are using for post processing but you have to be acreaful not to oversharpen it as it will cause the straight lines in the picture to begin to look jagged in some cases. What program are you using.

Also sometimes you just cant help the fact that an image is a little bit blurry. I mean rememebr that you took this picture while on the back of a moving horse and it appears that it was a little bit hazy out if not getting towards dark. This could have alot to do with how your camera took the picture for you if you are not shooting completely manual. I think I rememebr you saying you are shooting with a fuji s3000 right. If I remember correctly that camera has some manual controls on it in that you can control the aperture and shutter speed right. If you were shooting in a program mode the camera could have chosen a shutter speed and aperture combination that it thought was best for the light available and not so much for ensuring that the picture would be sharp while the photographer was sitting on the back of a moving horse. Just some thoughts as to why you may want to begin to shoot in manual as much as possible in any situation where you might think the light available might not be the best for a sharp picture.

Hope I didnt get too long winded there, but I think the camera just picked too slow of a shutter speed for the conditions that the shot was taken in. Unless of course you were shooting in manual and then you just tried to skirt the edges of how steady you were able to hold the camera while on the back of the horse:D . I do this all the time so dont think im trying to razz you too much.

I made some assumptions here about the conditions the shot was taken with so if I was wrong with any of them then please disregard what I said afterwards because it doesnt pertain to the photo being slightly blurred.

Oh yeah I almost forgot to say that I like what you did with the crop and keep up the good work.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2004
    Okay, I was on a horse. And the weather was pretty crappy. It actually turned out better than I thought it would. I took it on a manual setting. F2.8. I think that was the right setting to use, to let in the most light, right? Maybe not. I'm still trying to memorize all of the manual settings and program them in my head. Not easy.
    Oh yeah, I used Microsoft Picture It to edit. I now have Photo Elements, but I haven't really figured out how to use it. That's another one that is not so easy. Thanks for the input mike taylor! thumb.gif

I like the picture alot but also agree that it could be a little bit sharper. I would say try to sharpen it a little bit with whatever program you are using for post processing but you have to be acreaful not to oversharpen it as it will cause the straight lines in the picture to begin to look jagged in some cases. What program are you using.

Also sometimes you just cant help the fact that an image is a little bit blurry. I mean rememebr that you took this picture while on the back of a moving horse and it appears that it was a little bit hazy out if not getting towards dark. This could have alot to do with how your camera took the picture for you if you are not shooting completely manual. I think I rememebr you saying you are shooting with a fuji s3000 right. If I remember correctly that camera has some manual controls on it in that you can control the aperture and shutter speed right. If you were shooting in a program mode the camera could have chosen a shutter speed and aperture combination that it thought was best for the light available and not so much for ensuring that the picture would be sharp while the photographer was sitting on the back of a moving horse. Just some thoughts as to why you may want to begin to shoot in manual as much as possible in any situation where you might think the light available might not be the best for a sharp picture.

Hope I didnt get too long winded there, but I think the camera just picked too slow of a shutter speed for the conditions that the shot was taken in. Unless of course you were shooting in manual and then you just tried to skirt the edges of how steady you were able to hold the camera while on the back of the horse:D . I do this all the time so dont think im trying to razz you too much.

I made some assumptions here about the conditions the shot was taken with so if I was wrong with any of them then please disregard what I said afterwards because it doesnt pertain to the photo being slightly blurred.

Oh yeah I almost forgot to say that I like what you did with the crop and keep up the good work.
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Awesome to hear that you are trying things in manual. f2.8 was the right aperture setting to use both for depth of field, the blurred background, and to let the most light in as you said. The only downside to this is that in sketcky light situations, very overcast, this could cause the camera to use a very low shutter speed in order to be able to get the correct exposure. The image is exposed very well in my opinion, but as you can see there is just a very slight blurryness. I dont always think this is a problem and think this is a pretty good shot even with the blurryness.

Ok I am using elements as well so if you wanna try to sharpen it and see if you like the results go to filters then sharpen and sharpen away. If you dont like what you did or think you messed something up just hit ctrl-z and it will step backward to what the image was prior to the change you made. Good luck.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2004
    Hey Thanks!

bowdown.gif
    Awesome to hear that you are trying things in manual. f2.8 was the right aperture setting to use both for depth of field, the blurred background, and to let the most light in as you said. The only downside to this is that in sketcky light situations, very overcast, this could cause the camera to use a very low shutter speed in order to be able to get the correct exposure. The image is exposed very well in my opinion, but as you can see there is just a very slight blurryness. I dont always think this is a problem and think this is a pretty good shot even with the blurryness.

Ok I am using elements as well so if you wanna try to sharpen it and see if you like the results go to filters then sharpen and sharpen away. If you dont like what you did or think you messed something up just hit ctrl-z and it will step backward to what the image was prior to the change you made. Good luck.
  • Options
    shootershooter Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    I love the depth of field, but agree that I would love to see a bit more of the face.