Options

Pixellated Bird??

kevin.coppalottikevin.coppalotti Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited May 27, 2006 in Wildlife
I just had a comment about one of my photos posted on a forum that the smugmug hosted pic below appeared 'pixellated', and that this was typical of Smugmug hosted pics . I looked 'pixellated' up on google and it means you can see individual pixels in the shot. Huh?? can anyone shed some light on this? This is the picture in question below:

71629298-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    what site ?? this is a good one for Harry and Andy --I do not see it but my monitor is not the best
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    I don't see any pixellation on this one and my monitor is pretty sharp. Very nice bird.
  • Options
    dallasdallas Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    No pixel problems here, good shot.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    jwear wrote:
    what site ?? this is a good one for Harry and Andy --I do not see it but my monitor is not the best
    Hi Jeff,
    it was on DPreview: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1033&thread=18586712

I thought you get pixelation when the signal is weak like on a live TV sports show and the helicopter shots start breaking up, for example?
    I wonder if the viewer in question was getting a weak 'signal' from wherever the photo is hosted, - I believe smugmug use a variety of locations?
    Thanks also Rian, I view on a Samsung 1100P 21" CRT set at 1280 x 960 and have not seen any Pixellation either.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    dallas wrote:
    No pixel problems here, good shot.clap.gif
    Thanks William, great gallery at "most popular' the budgie from Australia and the eagle coming into land are awesome.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    May I ask a question? I see you use SmugMug, and I see that you have posted both your photos as Large sized images. To me, the dove photo is very pixellated, and the possum is not at all. I am wondering whether you posted the dove as a much larger image than the possum, thus giving the pixellation upon resizing by SmugMug. Lately, I cannot evaluate the quallity of most images posted on this site, because of the harsh pixellation. I wonder if SmugMug has changed its compression? this also maybe just her she says that most pics post there are this wayheadscratch.gif may just be her connection ne_nau.gif I just tried net zero and it has a right click and improve image quality it is not so much monitor has network connection this is a quess from a very non computer person .Your picture looks very good thumb.gif now if she wants some noisy pictures we can help rolleyes1.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 26, 2006
    I dunno. Looks kinda weird on my monitor. headscratch.gif

pixelated.jpg
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    Its a good shot Kevin. DPR gives one the unfotunate ability to increase the magnification one views the shot at. When you choose the option to zoom to 100% you can view the shot at a much closer view than you would ever in real life. There is some pixelation when viewed at the zoom 100% option.
    If you printed the shot and framed it and hung it on a wall you would not notice the "pixelation".

That viewer was the only one who viewed your shot at DPR who found the alleged pixelation.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    Kevin I believe the person that said it looked pixelated has either issues with their own monitor or is using one of those Internet accelerators that decrease graphic size to speed up page loading. There is no pixelation in your image. It is a great shot and looks wonderful on my monitor. I would take all comments on the internet with a grain of salt. If you would get repeated comments about image pixelation by multiple users than you may want to look further into it but for now I believe you are fine.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    evil eggplantevil eggplant Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2006
    I'm looking at this on my 21" Sony. Great shot.
    I just had a comment about one of my photos posted on a forum that the smugmug hosted pic below appeared 'pixellated', and that this was typical of Smugmug hosted pics . I looked 'pixellated' up on google and it means you can see individual pixels in the shot. Huh?? can anyone shed some light on this? This is the picture in question below:

71629298-L.jpg