Options

Canon Repair estimate

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited June 2, 2006 in Cameras
you might remember that I had an error 99 problem that necessitated that I send my camera to Canon.

They implied that there "might" be no charge. Then I have read about charges like for 85.00 for things on here.

Now I get an estimate for 195.00................ I have held everything back, so I can authorize that, but I can't do anything else: like eat. Bill is calling them to find out why.

But we will end up paying..............I know we will. I can't hear to get into a real negotiating thing with them.

Damn, right now I hate Canon. That is my only camera, basically, it is a 20D, and that is not a small repair cost. Especially as someone here pointed out to me, for a known problem.

Bill just called me back. If a camera is out of warranty as mine was and as I told them it was last week, there is a minimum labor charge of 180.00 just to look at it, so to speak. So 195.00 is reasonable to them.

But I know from here that not everyone is charged!

They are getting like Verizon and all the big companies, they are not consumer friendly anymore, IMO.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    Ginger,
    That really stinks. They should repair a "known" problem like that for nothing, even out of warranty.

Nikon has had two recent similar issues with the D70 and the D2H. Eventually they fessed up to the problems and now fix all the affected cameras for free.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2006
    Thanks, Mitchell.

I called them, too. I hate that, telling people to talk slowly, enunciate, etc.

But they did give me a courtesy discount, I told him I would take it while I could. Now it costs 159.00. I told the man I would tell you all, since I told you all everything else, like the bad stuff.

So, they didn't "fess" to anything, they were "nice", and I ran with it. As I told Bill, I am desperate and I am sure that it shows in my voice. That is why I had Bill call. Not only for the fact that I can't hear the other person, also the other person knows how desperate I am. So I was straight with the man, told him that I was very upset, told him why, how the tech last wk had said perhaps "no charge" after I told him several times that it was OUT of warranty. Plus you all had such good things to say, I told him that, and that I was confused and disappointed and that they must have gone the way of Verizon (too big to be nice).

I hope that if they ever do fess up that they give me my money back.
    That 40.00 means I can choose to eat or do one thing at the arts thing we have going on. ONe cheap thing and all the free things. I am going to go hear a blues singer: Terry Evans, plus a night of blues/jazz at Bowen Island where I have photographed before.

I just wanted to let you all know that I did get a "courtesy discount" which helps (a bit), so you all can form your own opinions. And the Nikon people can "crow" a bit I would guess...............until NIkon turns around and bites them, too.

The world is scary sometimes now. At least I got a real person, and he spoke the same language I do, which helps when you are almost deaf. Well, there are plenty of american friends from the internet who I can't understand at all. I can sometimes understand the people in India better than the people here. So I don't really mean that. He talked like a news anchor person: they are trained that way, don't know how regular people do it.

Thanks for responding, Mitchell,
    you are cool!

ginger
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    Canon gets free advertising
    Gee whiz, Ginger, I am so sorry you are going through this. We all know how important your camera is to you! I hope someone from Canon reads this thread and will reconsider charging you so much or even charging you at all. To me, and others I imagine, your bird photography is one of the best advertisements Canon has going.....and they don't even have to pay for it! That alone should be worth something! Hang in there!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 31, 2006
    c'mon canon, give ginger a freakin' break!- (195 down to 159 is not a break!)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 31, 2006
    can't say I didn't try-

email to canon customer service-

'could you please read over this forum thread and help this lady out--she needs a break--a big break!!-
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=318003&posted=1#post318003

we have a LOT of people using canon and also a LOT of people considering whether to go canon or nikon-

don't be penny wise and pound foolish- give a little now and gain a lot later-

thanks in advance-
    george fillmore
    20D, 5D, five canon lenses'
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    I know a manager at Canon Customer Service, I have sent him an email pointing him to this thread.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    AtruckerAtrucker Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    Since you can't eat you guys can come over here. I'll fire up the grill.60869137.jpg
    I have abandoned my search for Truth and am now looking for a good Fantasy.
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    Way around the hearing problem
    Snip
    The world is scary sometimes now. At least I got a real person, and he spoke the same language I do, which helps when you are almost deaf. Well, there are plenty of american friends from the internet who I can't understand at all. I can sometimes understand the people in India better than the people here. So I don't really mean that. He talked like a news anchor person: they are trained that way, don't know how regular people do it.
    Snip

ginger[/quote]

Ginger
    Even if you don't use a TTY regularly you can get around the hearing problem by using a service on the Web and your computer.

I am in a similar position to you except that I can't understand on the phone at all. So, I have a TTY and use my state relay service for most calls. BUT . . . for long distance use www.sprintrelayonline.com which means the only cost is what I am already paying in order to connect to the web and I am on that so much of the time anyway.

What happens is that you connect to the site www.sprintrelayonline.com enter the phone number you want to reach and when their operator reaches that number he/she types to you exactly what is heard from the other end of the line. You respond with your computer keyboard (and I know you use one since you post here) and the operator voices it to the other party. There are things you can customize (like font and point size) but I won't go into that now. It is all well explained on the site. The other big long distance companies have similar sites but that one from sprint happens to be the one I am used to using.

I am running late for a meeting. If questions post here.

Good Luck
    Jane B.
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    Hey Ginger,
    I helped you out when you was looking for the 400 5.6
    Maybe I can help a little with this.
    I have two $100.00 vouchers for canon repair.
    I can spare one.
    Dont know if you could use it.
    If you do the leg work and find out.Shoot me a PM and its yours.
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    wounded bulls
    Ginger,

If Canon want to charge like wounded bulls then it may be worth looking around for another repairer-there are some perfectly good camera repair places which are Canon certified but operate from home etc and charge a lot less ...if its out of warranty then you can shop around...i bet that Canon charge a lot for out of warranty repairs to push people away to other repairers that are in the business of repairs not selling cameras.

Try KEH in Atlanta...

Beforehand though...

Make sure though that you have all your firmware upgrades and check your lens to camera contacts are all clean and undamaged- also try rebooting-there is a little pin hole at the base of the camera-this may unlock your problem and save you some angst and dollars.

Greg
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    Gosh, everyone, thanks!!! You know, it is funny, not really, but it is interesting that I, and you all, think that repair charge is a bit much while my dog group is congratulating me on the low cost!

I am going to direct them to this thread! And, Canon, if you read this thread, note that photographers, the only people who matter, they think charging for a known problem is a bit much. And Photographers are the only people who count here! You aren't dealing in dogs!

John, I just read all these nice posts, I will call them after the dogs wake me up tomorrow, to see if I can use a voucher after the fact! I was wishing that I had extended warranties on all important things. I know they are said to be a waste of money. But that might apply better to people who actually HAVE money, that is a truism often anyway! But, I was a smart person and never extended a warranty, smile.

Oh, and those steaks, Trucker, they looked like steaks, the things on the nice looking grill and all the clean stuff............it all looks nice!!! I would love to be there. I only leave town for hurricanes, though. But thank you for the offer for dinner. I would love to talk grandkids and all!

Thanks so much, all!! I kind of actually hope that my husband does NOT leave me the camera tomorrow. These all nighters are not easy on this old grandmother!

ginger
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    Ginger! re-boot
    ginger ,before you use a voucher or send off your camera make sure you re-boot with a pin as i suggested in my earlier post and clean your lens camera contacts.

the re-boot hole is underneath the camera,on the baseplate.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    ginger ,before you use a voucher or send off your camera make sure you re-boot with a pin as i suggested in my earlier post and clean your lens camera contacts.

the re-boot hole is underneath the camera,on the baseplate.

her 20D is already at canon, me thinks. . . too late, but a good idea
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Hey Ginger,
    I can spare one.
    You are a gentleman and a scholar.
    Andy wrote:
    Ginger, I have a repair voucher, too - if you are able to use it, you can have one of mine. It's $100. But you'd have to ask if they'll honor one that's not yours.

In fact - I tell you what - I'll call Canon CPS tomorrow and see if I can grease the skids. Send me an email mid-morning.

... you too ^_^
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Hey Ginger,
    I can spare one.
    Ginger, I have a repair voucher, too - if you are able to use it, you can have one of mine. It's $100. But you'd have to ask if they'll honor one that's not yours.

In fact - I tell you what - I'll call Canon CPS tomorrow and see if I can grease the skids. Send me an email mid-morning.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I am sorry! Everyone! Gosh, you all, gosh! What can I say?

And I have been effectively asleep for the last two days.

John, I never did call Canon back because they have my credit card # and all, and I guess I was just ................I don't know. I think I was scared to. YOu have been just super nice to me, just beyond the call! Thank you. I really appreciate it.

And, Andy, I just saw your note to me. I didn't stay up that late, quite last night, etc. And by Monday it will be too late, I would think. You are a gentleman, too. Everyone has been. Well, Canon, don't know what to say about them. I read today that all companies are cutting costs by charging more for everything except the product.

I log onto dgrin, then I log right back off. And yesterday was kind of a lost day. Bill kept leaving his camera.........I used it, pulled all nighters until yesterday when I just did nothing except stare at the PC. I never logged on here, though, well once some time, but mostly I just stared.

I put the info re my repair below. If anyone does call that is it. If anyone wants me to do anything else, like for me to whatever.

Equipment:
    EOS 20D

MARY JONES
    661 SWINTON CT,
    MOUNT PLEASANT, SC 29464

Repair #:
    BI352154

Received:
    May 31, 2006

Repair Cost:
    $ 159.00

Estimated

May 31, 2006