Options

Image Uploader

winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
I am working on a content manager for medium sized websites. I have an image uploader tool that I am using, which stores images into a db. It works fine for images up to about a meg, but when someone uploads a 5meg file, the system chokes.

I know that smugmug's image uploaders are proprietary, but I was hoping that one of the good folks from sm could point me in the right direction.

Thank you very much in advance,

-Winn

Comments

• Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    winnjewett wrote:
    I am working on a content manager for medium sized websites. I have an image uploader tool that I am using, which stores images into a db. It works fine for images up to about a meg, but when someone uploads a 5meg file, the system chokes.

I know that smugmug's image uploaders are proprietary, but I was hoping that one of the good folks from sm could point me in the right direction.

Thank you very much in advance,

-Winn
    There are lots of OSS projects out there which load images to a db. The two prominent ones are coppermine and gallery. You could probably look at their PHP code to get pointed in the right direction. But since its all GPL, if you reuse any of their code then you have to release your application under GPL to your customer. What it means is that if you create the application for user X, then you have to give the source code to user X under GPL. User X may or may not redistribute it.
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    There are lots of OSS projects out there which load images to a db. The two prominent ones are coppermine and gallery. You could probably look at their PHP code to get pointed in the right direction. But since its all GPL, if you reuse any of their code then you have to release your application under GPL to your customer. What it means is that if you create the application for user X, then you have to give the source code to user X under GPL. User X may or may not redistribute it.

That is a good idea. I imagine that if I were to look at the code, I'd be able to figure out how to write my own code without directly copying the GPL code; kind of like reading someone else's term paper before writing my own. Does this thinking work for applications written under GPL?

-winn