Options

Cameras at wholesale price

purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited June 5, 2006 in Cameras
I'm graduating in three days, and as a graduation present, I'm finally getting a great quality SLR camera! I'm so excited! I've been waiting for a year and a half to be able to further exercise my ability as a photographer. I've literally done everything I can with my Canon powershot A95 and since it is not actually *my* camera, the real owner hasn't been taking good care of it, and its performance seems to be lacking. :/

My father works part-time at Best Buy, and is able to get Nikon cameras at wholesale price.

I was wondering if any of you know how much Nikons cost in its manufacturing phase before it's marked up for retail. That way I can better pick a camera, because sadly, there is a price limit on which camera I get. :)

Hopefully I'll be getting the Nikon D200, depending on what its wholesale price is. Otherwise I may have to settle with the Nikon D100. I would have gotten the Canon 20D, but there are no employee deals for Canons. :(
Purified Photography
Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited May 31, 2006
    purified wrote:
    I'm graduating in three days, and as a graduation present, I'm finally getting a great quality SLR camera! I'm so excited! I've been waiting for a year and a half to be able to further exercise my ability as a photographer. I've literally done everything I can with my Canon powershot A95 and since it is not actually *my* camera, the real owner hasn't been taking good care of it, and its performance seems to be lacking. :/

My father works part-time at Best Buy, and is able to get Nikon cameras at wholesale price.

I was wondering if any of you know how much Nikons cost in its manufacturing phase before it's marked up for retail. That way I can better pick a camera, because sadly, there is a price limit on which camera I get. :)

Hopefully I'll be getting the Nikon D200, depending on what its wholesale price is. Otherwise I may have to settle with the Nikon D100. I would have gotten the Canon 20D, but there are no employee deals for Canons. :(

Happy Graduation Kelly! clap.gif

The D200 is definitely the way to go, if you can swing it. If not, I would suggest the D70s. It is less $ than the D100 but has some better qualities. Same lenses all the way around, so you can start your system on any body and grow from there.

Good luck,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    not sure on the pricing, but I do know about Best Buy Discounts....

Best Buy employees get things at 5% above cost. Sometimes you notice a huge difference off the retail price, other times, you don't really notice much because there isn't much of a mark up....

With the digital cameras, i'm not really sure how much you will be able to get off. Your Dad, i'm sure, could easily check his cost on it.

Best of luck and congrats on graduating ;)

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    First, congratulations on graduating! Excellent!

Next... have you considered the cost of lenses?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    Congrats.

At a couple other largish retail shops the 20D was around $1000 retailer price to employees. I think the camera was $1500 new.

This is just of indicator of the past and not something to go by as your D200 might be 100 under retail or 1000 under retail.

If its not much of a good deal and since you are new to SLR's the D50 and D70 are nice cameras and should be cheaper these days.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    The 20D is much cheaper than the Nikon D200. You can get a 20D for about $1000-$1100 now. Wouldn't it make more sense to get the 20D?

P.S. - I really love your shots taken with the Powershot A95. They are very good. I'm jealous I can't get shots that good with my Powershot A80.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2006
    Thank you, Red Bull!

And... I have always wanted the Canon 20D since it was released, but because we get a discount off Nikon, my father is the one who suggested a Nikon instead of the Canon. If we don't get a good deal with the D200, we'll probably be getting the Canon 20D, unless he's willing to pay $1600 for the D200. ne_nau.gif Ultimately, it's my father's decision on which camera I get, depending on the best deal we can get.

If I wanted the D70, I would have bought it by now. :) I'm pretty stubbron about the kind of camera I want. After a year of reading up on high-end SLRs (that don't exceed about $1600), I've found it more and more difficult to compromise for something else, haha. Despite that I knew it would take me a LONG time to save up for such an expensive camera!

And when it comes to lenses, I'll have to progressively buy them one at a time. I've recently turned in a nice bank teller application that, if I get the job, will supply me with plenty of extra money to put into lenses.

In college I'm majoring in photography (and business-marketing)... so I would like to have the best camera I can afford to have. I'm extremely serious about this hobby (soon to be more than a hobby!). clap.gif

I'm confident that I'll pick up all the tricks of the SLR quickly.
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    20d
    if you and your dada want to save some money you should be able to get a used 20d or even one which is still on the shelf, for a lot less than a wholesale d200-they are starting to pop up in the dgrin flea market and elsewhere
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    I agree, you can find used 20D's for like $800 these days on Fred Miranda.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    1) Congratulations on graduating high school! Good onya.

2) Which college are you going to?

3) Have you considered buying used?

4) Get the camera you want.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    Congratulations on your success in attaining a major life milestone. May you continue to enjoy many successes and a few failures in your life to come.

I can't help thinking that your father's decision may be "penny wise, pound foolish". Investing in a camera line is more than just the purchase cost of the camera body. Unless something major happens, you're investing in the entire system, including lenses, flashes, etc. So my advise, for whatever it may be worth, is to consider the long-term remifactions of the purchase decision and make the best long-view decision you can. I would think you would want to consider, among other factors, the following:
    • Cost of camera body
    • Features available on the body as compared to what you want/expect to be doing/needing
    • Cost/features of glass
    • Cost/features of accessories
    If, after considering all the above, you find that Nikon is the best choice (can't really go wrong with this), then milk the BB employee discount for all you can get. On the other hand, if Canon is the choice, the 20D is readily available, new, at very nice prices and spotless used can be had for a lot less.

I hope this has helped and not muddied the water that much more.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    20D new from B&H: $1129.95 with 18-55mm kit lens.
    D200 new from B&H: $1999.95 with 18-70mm kit lens.

That would have to be one heck of a BestBuy discount, because I have yet to find anything at BestBuy as cheap, or cheaper than B&H. I'm thinking with an $800 price difference you can get a 20D and some glass, or a flash, or both. It comes down to needs, wants, likes...the price is speaking for its self.

Good luck with whatever you decide, both brands are winners.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    purified wrote:
    Thank you, Red Bull!

And... I have always wanted the Canon 20D since it was released, but because we get a discount off Nikon, my father is the one who suggested a Nikon instead of the Canon. If we don't get a good deal with the D200, we'll probably be getting the Canon 20D, unless he's willing to pay $1600 for the D200. ne_nau.gif Ultimately, it's my father's decision on which camera I get, depending on the best deal we can get.

If I wanted the D70, I would have bought it by now. :) I'm pretty stubbron about the kind of camera I want. After a year of reading up on high-end SLRs (that don't exceed about $1600), I've found it more and more difficult to compromise for something else, haha. Despite that I knew it would take me a LONG time to save up for such an expensive camera!

And when it comes to lenses, I'll have to progressively buy them one at a time. I've recently turned in a nice bank teller application that, if I get the job, will supply me with plenty of extra money to put into lenses.

In college I'm majoring in photography (and business-marketing)... so I would like to have the best camera I can afford to have. I'm extremely serious about this hobby (soon to be more than a hobby!). clap.gif

Purified. I think you have things backwards. Its more important to have the best optics than the best body. You will get better shots with a D70 and pro lenses than a D200 and consumer lenses. A lot of people will say its the other way around until they actually shoot for a few years.

The other thing is, as a photographer, you invest in glass and dispose of bodies. Bodies are a commodity. If you shoot a ton you will be 5-10 years or more out of a pro lens depending on air travel and abuse from using it.

So if you spend 15,000 on glass thats 1500 a year over 10 years. As a pro you need at least 2 bodies and you will probably replace them every other year if you shoot a lot.

So I am not trying to distract you from your goal of getting a great body just trying to help you see reality from 24 years of shooting experience.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    20D new from B&H: $1129.95 with 18-55mm kit lens.
    D200 new from B&H: $1999.95 with 18-70mm kit lens.

I think most will agree that the Nikkor 18-70 is a significantly better lens than the Canon 18-55.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    But that doesn't mean that she won't be able to get outstanding shots with the 18-55, if she buys the 20D kit. Just look at what she can do with a Powershot A95! clap.gif

I think that spending a bit less on a body and more on some good lenses would be better in the long run. dSLR's have pretty much the same sensor. The glass (and the photographer, which in her case shouldn't be an issuethumb.gif )is what really produces the outstanding photos.
    -Steven

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    jthomas wrote:
    I think most will agree that the Nikkor 18-70 is a significantly better lens than the Canon 18-55.

I never said which was better now did?ne_nau.gif:D I would rather spend the money on the 20D body, no kit lens, and spend the left over cash on some L glass, like a 70-200L f4 perhaps.

L-Glass makes even the original Rebel look and perform great.thumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    Thanks for all the constructive advice! You've all given me a lot to think about.

Well, I know that at Best Buy, the D200 is $1699 without any kind of discount... and the Canon 20D is $1499 but there is no discount whatsoever. I haven't thought about going used. I suppose I wouldn't know where to start... and it would be a little bit more of a hassle... but I can definitely consider it.

Now, when it comes to lenses, I won't be getting any as a gift. No matter what camera I get, I'll have to pay for the lenses myself. And I figured that if I'm being offered only a camera, I might as well go for the one that impressed me the most. But yes, I should probably research lenses more before I decide on a camera.

I can easily afford a smaller DSL later in the year by myself... like the Digital Rebel XT or perhaps a D70. I'm suppose thinking "if you're going to get wet, might as well dive in" with this camera business. :)
    DavidTO wrote:
    1) Congratulations on graduating high school! Good onya.

2) Which college are you going to?

3) Have you considered buying used?

4) Get the camera you want.

Thanks. Like I said, I haven't thought about buying a used camera. I don't know where to start looking?

And... I'm hoping to get into Columbia College in Chicago(CCC), a liberal arts school... It looks like a great school in a great location if I'm looking for interesting and diverse shots... it's also a great location for internships. However I've heard there are some negative aspects about the school. Whether it is the school itself or the location I am not sure. :/
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2006
    purified wrote:
    Thank you, Red Bull!

Best buy retails Canon Gear, no?

Call Canon and ask for the contact at Best buy to get an employee authorized purchase form.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    purified wrote:
    And... I'm hoping to get into Columbia College in Chicago(CCC), a liberal arts school... It looks like a great school in a great location if I'm looking for interesting and diverse shots... it's also a great location for internships. However I've heard there are some negative aspects about the school. Whether it is the school itself or the location I am not sure. :/

I know two people at work who went there. One is an incredibly talented graphic designer. He did the opening for the Oscars this year. Maybe you saw it? That was his talent, will and determination. Many people worked on it, but he was the visionary behind it, the one who said, "I want to do the opening for the Oscars, and do it better than it's ever been done, setting the standard for 50 years." Literally, that's what he told me. He worked last year putting a piece together on spec, and presented it to the producers. They passed on it last year with a commitment to use it this year, and they did. He is from Croatia, originally, and Columbia was his first experience in America. Very, very talented man.

Anyway, if you'd like to talk to him about his experience there and what it really meant for his career (so often school doesn't really apply), let me know, and i'll get you set up.

The one thing he did tell me that he liked was that the school was very hands-on. First week of his freshman year they handed him a film camera, and said, come back with a film.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    That's amazing! I have seen the Oscars, but not from beginning to end. I'll definitely look for a clip and watch the beginning. I'd love to see it!

I'd also love to hear from him. It's difficult to judge a school that I can't physically visit (yet), and without speaking to actual students. I can't speak to the administration about any possible negative aspects. I've found that they are unusually cheery and enthusiastic about their school than most of the others I've looked into. :)
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    purified wrote:
    That's amazing! I have seen the Oscars, but not from beginning to end. I'll definitely look for a clip and watch the beginning. I'd love to see it!

I'd also love to hear from him. It's difficult to judge a school that I can't physically visit (yet), and without speaking to actual students. I can't speak to the administration about any possible negative aspects. I've found that they are unusually cheery and enthusiastic about their school than most of the others I've looked into. :)

You can view it here, although the quality doesn't do it justice.

Anyway, email me via my profile, and I'll get you in contact with him. It sounds like a great school.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2006
    The 20D is still $1499 at Best Buy? I would seriously consider just buying it over at B&H where it is about $1034 new. AND, if you use the code "psmay" in the search box, the 20D can be had for $1019 new.
    -Steven

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2006
    Congratulations Kelly on graduating and good luck at getting accepted at whatever school you end up liking. As for Columbia, I have had friends that went there and absolutely love the location and the school itself. The thing some of them didn't really like were the other students, there are a lot of artsy people that go there (duh) and they can seem snobish at times. Definitely try to talk to people that actually went there and visit the campus. It is a very good school. I guess I'll put in my .02 on cameras. I definitely agree about looking towards the future. Your lenses will stay with you while the bodies will be replaced. You have shown exceptional talent with your current camera so whatever system you end up with I'm sure you will use it to its fullest potential. Other items to consider are extra batteries, flashes, tripod and head (big investment), camera bag, CF cards. The list really goes on and on. I would sit down and figure out your essentials in a list and add up the prices to get your total price of the system. The body can really be a small part of where your money goes. If you want to look at prices on used equipment check out Fred Miranda For Sale Forum, you do need to register to view it. If you end up going for a new 20D then check this link to B&H, it is $999.95 for the body without a lens in that link. You could also try calling camera shops and also camera companies to see if they offer any student discounts. Again, good luck on whatever you decide upon and if you do end up going with Canon and going to Columbia then send me a PM and I could let you borrow any of my lenses or other equipment since I'm just outside of Chicago.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2006
    Thank you for all the advice, guys. I am officially getting the Canon 30D today. :D
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2006
    purified wrote:
    Thank you for all the advice, guys. I am officially getting the Canon 30D today. :D

Fantastic!

I spoke to my friend and he's more than happy to talk with you about Columbia.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    Just some advice that I discovered through my college career....

Never buy anything you can't afford with credit. The first year you go to school, you'll be bombarded with tons of credit card offers. Read the fine print, most of them have outstanding APR rates, and far too many college kids max out a few credit cards buying toys, clothes, pizza and beer. Then you spend the next 10 years out of college trying to pay them all off. Those lenses can get really tempting when you're holding a piece of plastic with $3k limit on it.

Also, from what I've discovered since I got my DSLR - you can make some pretty decent money just freelancing and offering your services. If you keep your prices low in the beginning its easy to get jobs and build your portfolio for the future. I try to pay for new gear by using what I already have to the best of my abilities. I bet you'll do just fine finding work in Chicago.

Good luck and enjoy college, its going to be the some of the best years of your life.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2006
    Luckily, I've already learned that credit cards can be one's worst enemy. I plan on buying my lenses with cash... at 18, I don't need the lenses all at once. I have a year, if not more, to get lenses before I really need to get serious.

Nope, no credit for me!
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    The new Nikon D200 looks sharp...I get mine in about 2 weeks. I have a D100 for sale. Guess we can't sell anything on this site right?

Just wondering.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2006
    You can sell your D100 on this site.
    -Steven

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    Seneca wrote:
    The new Nikon D200 looks sharp...I get mine in about 2 weeks. I have a D100 for sale. Guess we can't sell anything on this site right?

Just wondering.

Place your ad in the DGRIN Flea Market.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Place your ad in the DGRIN Flea Market.

Thanks Art and RED BULL. I'll do that.

thumb.gif