Options

Challenge 24: Rainbows

xsquiggyxsquiggy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited October 24, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's a photo taken Sunday October 17 while returning home from a ride in VA. I was soaking wet, cold, and shivering, when the sky decided to smile. I grabbed the camera from my tankbag (Kodak DX6490) and shot a series of photos for 20 minutes, until the rainbows disappeared. The photo's are untouched and the colors have not been enhanced. What you see is what I saw:D . Any comments or suggestions? Personally, I think the photo would be stronger without the street sign, but I was dealing with quickly changing lighting, and didn't have time to reposition the bikes without the risk of losing the shots altogether.

9928906-M.jpg

just for grins,,,,here's one more, hend held, about 380mm equiv. focal length:

9928915-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2004
    Both are great!!!!! (It is raining here.... I have been waiting for a rainbow to show up but no luck yet!) I like the second one better because it doesn't have the road. It makes it look more picturesque
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2004
    I like the second one better. Maybe you could up the colors just a tiny bit? :)
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Just to confuse things,

I prefer the first one, I like the lines, the layers, the bikes, and the triple rainbow. Together it all makes the shot seem to be more complete.
    I think the second one needed to be a bit wider, it seems to be cut off at the bottom. Did you get soaked??
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2004
    ish wrote:
    I like the second one better. Maybe you could up the colors just a tiny bit? :)
    Interesting reply, in light of my recent post here:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=3197

I suppose if I enhanced the colors, I'd be a first rate hypocrite :D
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Just to confuse things,

I prefer the first one, I like the lines, the layers, the bikes, and the triple rainbow. Together it all makes the shot seem to be more complete.
    I think the second one needed to be a bit wider, it seems to be cut off at the bottom. Did you get soaked??
    thumb.gif
    Yes, I got soaked! I also like the first one better for several reasons. The word "twins" comes to mind. There's two of "lots of stuff" in the pic. I have this habit of including my bike in most photos taken while riding. It has something to do with combining a passion for riding with photography. As a result, whenever I'm comparing two photos of similar subjects, with only one photo containing a bike, I usually find the bikeless photo lacking a key ingredient. Just my personal preference.
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Anthing with bikes is always a great shot! (not that I'm prejudiced, mind you :D).
    It can be frustrating at times getting the right angle so as not to have distractions included in a photo, but sometimes it just isn't possible so you've got to live with it or miss an otherwise great shot.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    I like the second better (despite the lack of bikes:D ) but think that you should have a bit of sharpening on the foreground.

Brad