Options

##Challenge 24 - Kate's Landscapes##

Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited October 24, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm in persuit of a macro landscape (gubbs beat me to it, but i'm still gonna try!).
Does this look enough like a landscape to qualify? Or is my imagination more vivid that everybody elses?
:dunno

Canon EOS 30D
Sigma 10-20
Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
Canon 18-55
Canon 50 f1.8
Canon 430EX

Comments

• Options
    edited October 21, 2004
    Does this qualify as a landscape - or just a picture of a tree and some grass?

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    AussieKate wrote:
    Stark landscapes are still landscapes! It's hard to tell from such a tiny photo, but you could make the lighting a little more dramatic.

Of your two so far, I like the lonely tree the best.

Brad
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    AussieKate wrote:
    Very minimalistic and very beautiful!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    AussieKate wrote:
    Definitely a landscape.. can you make it bigger Kate? thumb.gif
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Definitely a landscape.. can you make it bigger Kate? thumb.gif

Yeah, I like it very much, looks like an ad or something. I want to see it bigger though for sure.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    ish wrote:
    Yeah, I like it very much, looks like an ad or something. I want to see it bigger though for sure.
    The real problem with that kind of shot for the challenge is the inflexible challenge max of 800 pixels in any dimension. Early on, I tried to sell Andy on the idea of a max that would allow tradeoffs between the vertical and horizontal. For example 800x800, 1000x600, 1200x400 with some limit to prevent silliness. Unfortunately our gracious challenge host is not always receptive to outside ideas. ne_nau.gif

So even if it does pass the filter, it won't have the oomph it could have in the voting phase.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    I have to say that your shot where you asked if it was just a tree and some grass is definitely a landscape. I lvoe it. I dont know what it is about shots like these but I love them. I didnt know about the 800 pixel requirement that Charles just stated though and I have a feeling I am going to have the same problem as you in this respect as i tokk a similarly dimentioned shot. I guess I missed that when reading the challenge rules as I thought the rules said to enter photos similairly dimentioned to smugmug size M. Am I wrong in this Charles? BTW I think this photo would look incredible framed to somewhere in the region of 30" wide or even larger. Great work.clap.gif
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    I have to say that your shot where you asked if it was just a tree and some grass is definitely a landscape. I lvoe it. I dont know what it is about shots like these but I love them. I didnt know about the 800 pixel requirement that Charles just stated though and I have a feeling I am going to have the same problem as you in this respect as i tokk a similarly dimentioned shot. I guess I missed that when reading the challenge rules as I thought the rules said to enter photos similairly dimentioned to smugmug size M. Am I wrong in this Charles? BTW I think this photo would look incredible framed to somewhere in the region of 30" wide or even larger. Great work.clap.gif
    I really like both panorama shots tremendously.

Here is a cut from the rules:
    andy wrote:
    7. other rules remain the same:

* in the spirit of good competition, please do not vote for your own photo
    * let your creativity and imagination run wild. any and all photoshop etc :ps is allowed
    * photos must be fresh, shot during the contest period. (exif available)
    * photos must be not longer than 800 pixels on their longest side, and not more than 150K in size (smugmug users please link "medium" size for horizontal photos and "large" size for vertical photos).
    * you must give a unique name to your photo, so everyone can vote on it
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    AussieKate wrote:
    It looks like a postcard!!! Simple and great!
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2004
    Thanks guys!
    This is as big as I can get it .... hope it works!
    (thanks for your really nice comments):D
    Mike - i know the shot you are talking about of yours where your gonna have this problem (the one with the chopper taking off?), its a wicked shot by the way, i love it!
    I just custom shrunk this one to be the 800 on the longest side. fingers crossed .....

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    Kate, I think smugmug has solved my problems for me. I just went back to my challenge thread and checked the properties of the photo after it was linked from smugmug and posted to my threaqd and wouldnt you know it it was already sized to 800x240 pixels. Either I got lucky or smugmug sets the longest side of a medium sized photo to 800 pixels. Otherwise I dont have a clue how this happened perfectly on both of our shots. I checked yours as well. the most recent version and it is also within the size limit the way that you linked it. Im not sure which method you use to link your pictures but whatever you did this last time it worked.

Ok now that thats out of the way I have to ask you some questions about your picture cause I love it. Where was it taken? I have never seen such green grass except maybe on a golf course. My next question kinda goes along with my last statement. How much did you mess with this picture in post processing? Not that I have any problem with this whatsoever im just curious because I never knew anyplace as beautiful as this really existed. Great shot, and if you thought you didnt have an eye for this before you are definitely finding it. This is an awesome shot. By the way no big deal, but I got lucky with my shot. It wasnt taking off but was coming in for a landing and going about 120 knots when I took the shot. I happened to be set up for another shot when I heard the helicopter in my picture coming in and turned around with about 2 seconds to take this shot before it flew behind a building. I severely overexposed my shot and that is what I was able to salvege out of it. Im glad you like it though.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Kate
    I really love the shot of the lonely tree, everything is right about this shot...
    well done. I really love the contrast between the sky and the paddock (blue/green).
    Love it, love it, love it.
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Kate, I love that tree, that is the kind of thing I am trying for.

Mike you know I like yours.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    Very nice of you guys - thanks again!:D
    Mike - I don't have a smugmug account so I upload my shots from the c:. I just have to type in the size (ie 800 pxls) and it sets it for me. My goal is to win a subscription to a smugmug account through the challenges!!! Might be a while though! rolleyes1.gif Gives me something to aim for!
    I love your shot, and if you hadn't told me it was a salvage job i wouldn't have known (.... i should be writing this in your thread!!! sorry!)
    Re: where the pic of lonely tree is ... it was in a field just out of a little town called Strathalbyn which is about 30 mins drive from where I am. I take my daughter to swim lessons there and saw this lonely tree in the paddock. The 'grass' is just a newly sown crop of wheat or barley or something so it was beautifully green and swaying in the breeze.
    I just upped the saturation a little and cropped it..... and that's it. The saturation brought out more of the colour in the sky than the grass.....

Thanks for all your lovely comments.
    We are off on holiday next week for a few nights down the coast, so I'm searching for somemore there as well!

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Kate,
    It's good to see this at a larger size. I really love the shot. My only suggestion would be to work on the contrast a bit. It seems a bit bright and the sky is a bit blown out. It shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Again great shot,
    Brad

AussieKate wrote:
    Thanks guys!
    This is as big as I can get it .... hope it works!
    (thanks for your really nice comments):D
    Mike - i know the shot you are talking about of yours where your gonna have this problem (the one with the chopper taking off?), its a wicked shot by the way, i love it!
    I just custom shrunk this one to be the 800 on the longest side. fingers crossed .....
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    Kate,
    It's good to see this at a larger size. I really love the shot. My only suggestion would be to work on the contrast a bit. It seems a bit bright and the sky is a bit blown out. It shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Again great shot,
    Brad
    Thanks Brad,
    My thoughts precisely! It wasn't so obvious when it was smaller.
    I'll give it a shot and hopefully bring it all back to looking a little more 'natural'.

Thanks.

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX