Options

The Eyewall of a Typhoon

sdomminsdommin Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited June 4, 2006 in Holy Macro
I'm in the process of re-scanning a bunch of my old negatives for my website (I used to be a Hurricane Hunter / Typhoon Chaser). Here's a shot from 1983 - this is the eyewall of Super Typhoon Forrest from our WC130 airplane. We're about 10,000 feet up, looking down at the actual center of the typhoon (just below the engine). The eyewall is the area in the top half of the photo. The eye itself was only about 5 miles across, making this one of the strongest storms in history. Luckily, we were in the western Pacific Ocean, away from land.

Taken with a Canon A-1 camera and a Sigma 16mm fish-eye lens, on Kodacolor negative film.

forrest1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    Hey Scott - that's pretty cool. I like taking pics of cloud formations out of plane windows - its always interesting to me to see how the various levels of heat/cold and moisture rise and fall. My kids get a kick out of seeing the clouds from the top instead of the bottom.

Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    clap.gif Excellent!

When did you stop flying?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2006
    Thanks Mike & Sid. I left the Air Force in 1986.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2006
    weldone a shot to remember iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    sdommin wrote:
    I'm in the process of re-scanning a bunch of my old negatives for my website (I used to be a Hurricane Hunter / Typhoon Chaser). Here's a shot from 1983 - this is the eyewall of Super Typhoon Forrest from our WC130 airplane. We're about 10,000 feet up, looking down at the actual center of the typhoon (just below the engine). The eyewall is the area in the top half of the photo. The eye itself was only about 5 miles across, making this one of the strongest storms in history. Luckily, we were in the western Pacific Ocean, away from land.

Nice shot.... I spent about 5 years working as a civilian with the AF Reserve Storm Trackers... got to fly into a hurricane off of Bermuda once... what a great experience. You guys had all the fun!

Denise
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2006
    Thanks, Awais. I know that Pakistan can be affected by tropical storms, but its pretty rare.

Denise - I was at Keesler from 1983 until 1987. How about you?
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    Very cool!thumb.gif
  • Options
    deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    sdommin wrote:
    Denise - I was at Keesler from 1983 until 1987. How about you?

Scott, I was Civil Service at Keesler from about 82-92.. with the 403rd from 85-90. I'm still down on the Coast... in AL now.. but Mom is still in Ocean Springs..

I saw the pix of Pass Christian in your gallery... beautiful shots... those piers are probably gone now though :( I drove as far along Hwy 90 as I could at Christmas... it's pretty sad... tree limbs from the Live Oaks are a pretty common site in areas along the beach... there is still so much to do but every time I go home, they have made a little progress.

Denise
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com