Attempt at using layers, what is a vector layer?

52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited October 24, 2004 in Technique
I figured out what the raster layers are and how they work, at least a bit :D , but what is a vector layer?
I like the way the last shot really make the car stick out. I'm sure it could look better though.
These are my friends 57 Belair convertible at the Back to the 50's show last July. It looks like it just drove off the showroom floor!
Here's the original:

5284836-L.jpg

And here's my first attempt at adjusting a layer:
10192709-L.jpg

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    52Caddy wrote:
    I figured out what the raster layers are and how they work, at least a bit :D , but what is a vector layer?

And here's my first attempt at adjusting a layer:
    10192709-S.jpg
    clap.gif great work! thumb.gif

I'm not familiar with the term "vector layer". What program are you working with?

In photoshop there is a thing called a "vector mask" which can be used to control things such as which areas of a layer are visible.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    Wow, nice!

Cletus, aren't lines and text vectors in PS until you merge the layers? Illustrator is a vector-based program and PS is raster-based. But I think that lines and text are vector in PS while you can change them, then when you merge them down they are converted to raster.
  • 52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Thanks for the nice words.
    I'm using paint shop pro. I'll have to checkout the help files.
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Cletus, aren't lines and text vectors in PS until you merge the layers? Illustrator is a vector-based program and PS is raster-based. But I think that lines and text are vector in PS while you can change them, then when you merge them down they are converted to raster.
    Yes... at least usually :D

The default behavior of the text and shape tools in PS creates vector artwork. However you can put the shape tools into a mode where they create raster info. I forget the name of it but there is a text tool that creates selections. The selection generating text tool does not create vector artwork.