Options

Ever had a problem unscrewing CP?

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited June 5, 2006 in Technique
More often than not I was facing the same old problem: once I got CP securely attached, it's a real pain to take it off, especially if it sits on top of a step-up ring or another filter. The tiny little thin edge of the CP base is next to impossible to hold tight, since the rotating part has almost the same diameter. And the latter, uh, rotates freely..:dunno

Today this problem got really bad - I simply could not take the 77mm CP off the 72-77 step up ring. I spent almost 10 minutes trying different things, but the end result was my sore fingertips.

I got almost desperate when I recalled the rubber grip, a tool used in plumbing (an other areas), when you use a thick strong rubber band instead of a wrench. Rubber band.. That rang a bell.. I hurried to the kitchen, where one of the drawers stores almost infinite supply of rubber bands. I picked up one that seemed narrow enough, put it on the CP base - and the next very moment my base was free. I didn't even have to apply any force, it unscrewed as if it was never tight!

HTH
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Nik...i have faced the same problem often with my 77mm CP. I just overcame the problem with brute force & several times have destroyed the CP. The spring pops out & polariser hits the ground. They are easy to put back together once you have done it a few times.

I now only juuussstt let the thread touch home..& i mean just. It can then only tighten with me turning the filter which wont let it stick.

Just a thought mate.
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    More often than not I was facing the same old problem: once I got CP securely attached, it's a real pain to take it off, especially if it sits on top of a step-up ring or another filter. The tiny little thin edge of the CP base is next to impossible to hold tight, since the rotating part has almost the same diameter. And the latter, uh, rotates freely..ne_nau.gif

Today this problem got really bad - I simply could not take the 77mm CP off the 72-77 step up ring. I spent almost 10 minutes trying different things, but the end result was my sore fingertips.

I got almost desperate when I recalled the rubber grip, a tool used in plumbing (an other areas), when you use a thick strong rubber band instead of a wrench. Rubber band.. That rang a bell.. I hurried to the kitchen, where one of the drawers stores almost infinite supply of rubber bands. I picked up one that seemed narrow enough, put it on the CP base - and the next very moment my base was free. I didn't even have to apply any force, it unscrewed as if it was never tight!

HTH
    Nikolai, in the past, I have actually gotten a tiffen linear polarizer stuck to another filter (I have them stacked for storage) Ever since then, I've tried to stay away from mixing aluminums and other metals with filters. There are CP filters out there that are made of brass rings.

I would recommend them in a heartbeat, especially with step up rings since most step-up rings are not brass (except the heliopan uber-expensive ones) and hope for the best.

As for unscrewing the stuck ones in the future...try getting a grip gloves or something like a jar opening plastic and see if it can help. Or better yet, take it in to your local camera store and see if they have any tools that can help! thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Yes, happened to me too. Shooting on a full frame, at 16mm, there's going to be vignetting, so I screw on the CP tightly to minimize it as much as possible.

And yes, it's often a bear taken it off again. I'm glad you mentioned it, I thought it was only me! I use brute force. Very annoying.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 5, 2006
    Nik,

There is actually a tool available for this situation - a filter wrench - see here - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=70726&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

They can be helpful at times, but I have used rubber bands to bet a better grip also.

I like the B&W filters as they tend to be brass rather than aluminum, and less likely to gall.

You can use just a dab of nose grease from the crease of your nose on the threads before attaching them to help diminish the tendency to bind also. NO wise ass remarks here either - try it - it does work.thumb.gif):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    You can use just a dab of nose grease from the crease of your nose on the threads before attaching them to help diminish the tendency to bind also. NO wise ass remarks here either - try it - it does work.thumb.gif):
    I'll try it. My tight filters are both B+W. Nose grease, here I come.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 5, 2006
    :):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    Thanks, Jim!
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nik,

There is actually a tool available for this situation - a filter wrench - see here - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=70726&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

They can be helpful at times, but I have used rubber bands to bet a better grip also.

I like the B&W filters as they tend to be brass rather than aluminum, and less likely to gall.

I think rubber band will do for now as it takes to space, no weight. Nose grease is an awesome idea, though, I'll use it when I have the filter on next time...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I'll try it. My tight filters are both B+W. Nose grease, here I come.

nose grease is also a way to turn regular tape into post-it-type tape...removable. That's an old school mechanical draftsman's technique.