Options

Dual monitors

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited June 6, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
Is there any way to run dual monitors on a PC??
Really would like to have the workspace cleaned up.
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited January 8, 2006
    ART SCOTT wrote:
    Is there any way to run dual monitors on a PC??
    Really would like to have the workspace cleaned up.

Probably, but we need more info...

Laptop or desktop unit?

What OS?

Your video card: discrete card or integrated on motherboard?

If you have a discrete video card, what type of outputs does it have?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Probably, but we need more info...

Laptop or desktop unit? I know it can be done with laptop but how about desktop

What OS? XP SP 2

Your video card: discrete card or integrated on motherboard? INTERGRATED

If you have a discrete video card, what type of outputs does it have?

tHANKS
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Dual Monitors
    They run off of the video card outputs on the back of your computer, if you have one. You can probably get one if your running an intergrated one now, with an improvement in speed. Just make sure the card you get will support your monitors. My set-up has one VGA and one DVI and I can actually pump it out to the 36HDTV if so disposed, via S-video.
    DSC00935.jpgthumb.gif
    Hope this Helpsthumb.gif
    Regards David
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2006
    Reprieve.......THANKS.... I was told on another forum it could not be done without a switch to mac or laptop....

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    ART SCOTT wrote:
    Reprieve.......THANKS.... I was told on another forum it could not be done without a switch to mac or laptop....

I was just reading this thread where they were talking not only about how to run multiple monitors on XP, but how to calibrate them. Probably worth a read.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2006
    XP natively supports dual monitors. It is not an issue of needing a mac.

Laptops are another issue. Most laptops just don't have either the horsepower of the multiple video outputs. Higher-end laptops might allow for it.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Laptops are another issue. Most laptops just don't have either the horsepower of the multiple video outputs. Higher-end laptops might allow for it.
    Not true. Most laptops, even simple ones, support multiple monitors to allow you to connect to a LCD projector or dock it to a external keyboard/monitor set up. If the laptop has a video out port, it will support both the built in LCD and the connected monitor.

For PCs the issue is there are rarely two monitor ports. You can solve this by doing one of these:

1) adding a video card, assuming that your internal video does not disable when you plug in a AGP card (a PCI video card may be needed if this is the case),or
    2) getting a analog/digital card with both VGA and DVI out, and if one of your monitors has DVI, you can run it thru both ports. Check to see if the card will run on both ports, or
    3) get an AGP card and a PCI card. If you are happy with your integrated video, then you don;t need to spend much for this setup...maybe two $45 cards will do,or
    4) get a dual monitor card.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Not true. Most laptops, even simple ones, support multiple monitors to allow you to connect to a LCD projector or dock it to a external keyboard/monitor set up. If the laptop has a video out port, it will support both the built in LCD and the connected monitor.
    True, but most laptops will project exactly the same image on both screens, except for the exceptions that is. And i am guessing that, as shown in the picture that davemj98 posted, Art Scott is looking for two seperate monitors with two seperate workspaces.

I have a dual output card in my home with two 19"NECs, and that works fine. It takes a few seconds of getting used to. The only issue i have (i am a nitpicker) is that on the left screen you actually have to "aim" at the little x that closes a window. On the right one i can just move my mouse to the top right position and click.
    I must say that on my PC and laptop i don't run in the "too cluttered desktop" problem, because i have a pretty high resolution set (1600x1200 and higher) So if i am reading the first post correctly, and it is a matter of not enough space on your desktop, you might try that if at all possible.

Ivar
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    2) getting a analog/digital card with both VGA and DVI out, and if one of your monitors has DVI, you can run it thru both ports. Check to see if the card will run on both ports, or
    Even if neither of your monitors are digital (take a DVI signal), you can still feed to monitors by using a simple ~$10 DVI to VGA adapter. As long as the DVI connector on the video card is DVI-I. DVI actually has three different types, -I (intergrated), -A (analog only), or -D (digital only). The connector is the same in all three cases.. only in the -D and -A cases some lines are not used.

Here is some decent background.

I've yet to see a video card that did not spit DVI-I (both -A and -D) out of it's DVI port. This means you can connect a simple adapter (most decent aftermarket cards ship w/ at least one of these adapters) to adapt from DVI-A or DVI-I to a standard 15-pin VGA D-sub.
    ivar wrote:
    True, but most laptops will project exactly the same image on both screens, except for the exceptions that is. And i am guessing that, as shown in the picture that davemj98 posted, Art Scott is looking for two seperate monitors with two seperate workspaces.
    Not so w/ many modern mid to high range laptops. Most newer laptops w/ the more modern video chipsets will easily support multiple unique monitor spaces. This issue is almost exclusively a video card hardware & driver issue. Main system CPU and memory specs do not matter.

Another issue is video memory. Remember that you must have a byte of video memory for each color of each pixel you try to draw. For 1600x1200 @ 32 bit color depth that works out to ~7.3 MB. If you just want to draw the same output (the same desktop) on multiple screens, that can be handled aftewards in the analog domain (or at least outside of video memory). But if you want multiple different workspaces.. start multiplying.

So for 1600x1200 @ 32 bits you'll need at least 16 MB of video memory. That's trivial in most cases nowadays.. but not universal.

One last comment.. If you're in the market for a new video card, I would aim to get one that had dual DVI connectors. This way you have the ability to connect any dual-screen setup now or in the future.. even if you go w/ dual digital flat-pannels. XFX makes several NVidia based cards that have this feature.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 25, 2006
    just got my wife a flat screen for her computer-
    extra monitor?-dual monitors!-
    had a card on my computer with the vga hookup and a dvi hookup-
    got a $4.00 dvi to vga adapter, hooked up the second monitor, went to display and settings and voila!--photo on one screen and toolboxes etc. on the second screen-
    now my son calls me a geek-
    heh--not that smart--

george
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    just got my wife a flat screen for her computer-
    extra monitor?-dual monitors!-
    got a $4.00 dvi to vga adapter, hooked up the second monitor, went to display and settings and voila!--photo on one screen and toolboxes etc. on the second screen-
    now my son calls me a geek-
    heh--not that smart--

george

In pixels, how wide can you go with that setup, both monitors combined?
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    hey David-

my resolution is set at 1152x864, if that means anything-

practically speaking, I have not lost anything resolution wise, but have doubled the width of the application-

my photo looks the same on one screen and the toolboxes look no different on the other screen-

I guess I've lost some speed though of application processing-

I hope I've answered your question; I'm no computer jock so if I didn't, I apologize-

george
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    hey David-
    my resolution is set at 1152x864, if that means anything-
    practically speaking, I have not lost anything resolution wise, but have doubled the width of the application-
    my photo looks the same on one screen and the toolboxes look no different on the other screen-
    I guess I've lost some speed though of application processing-
    I hope I've answered your question; I'm no computer jock so if I didn't, I apologize-
    george

OK, I was just wondering, since some graphics cards allow up to 1920 across. Looks like you found a way to get more room fairly cheaply.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    David

just changed bridge to compact mode so I've got it up on the other screen along with the other toolboxes and can expand or contract bridge as I wish-

george
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2006
    Thanks again everyone...that sounds like what I need to do ...is get a decent graphics card ( I do have an open graphics slot) so that I can have 2 video outs....

Thanks again.

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    I am also in the process of going the dual monitor setup and found this photo
    I am thinking of two Acer LCDs one (expensive) Ferrari F-20 for the editing and one cheper Acer AL1912s
    Any thoughts on this setup ?

13 monitors wow

wideview.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    I am thinking of two Acer LCDs one (expensive) Ferrari F-20 for the editing and one cheper Acer AL1912s

13 monitors wow

wideview.jpg

Yeah and look at all those CPU's...can you imagine the cooling that goes into that room to keep you from melting in there? rolleyes1.gif

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Yeah and look at all those CPU's...can you imagine the cooling that goes into that room to keep you from melting in there? rolleyes1.gif

A former co-worker used to call his CRT monitor "a cathode ray gun pointed at my head." Well, there's 13 of them. I'd worry about brain cell mutations before worrying about cooling the room!! :yikes
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:

Not to mention his monthly power bill. I would wonder if a real used airplane could be cheaper than his gaming habit?

Might that setup be photoshopped? The graphics to run something like that would be obscenely complicated. Yikes. Could also lead to a quick divorce. Women hate that stuff.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 26, 2006
    USAIR wrote:

13 monitors wow

wideview.jpg

Fred, I used two different LCDs on my Windows XP2 box, until I abandoned Windows and bought a MAC> WIn XP supports dual monitors natively.

I used a Gateway 19" LCD, and a cheap Samsung 17". The Gateway was via a DVI plug, and the Samsung was via a VGA plug.

The only real downside was I could not calibrate the smaller monitor with my colorimeter, because I could not figure out how to get windows to cooridinate two ICC profiles. But for holding palettes and brushes it worked fine.

I thought I would never return to a single monitor system, but my 23" display does not seem too cramped at this time. And I can always add a second 23" Cinema Display if I feel the need.

Pick up a cheap 15 in or 17 in LCD to off load your tools, brushes and palette wells - You'll love the extra room for your image!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Might that setup be photoshopped? The graphics to run something like that would be obscenely complicated. Yikes. Could also lead to a quick divorce. Women hate that stuff.

I'll agree with the divorce side of things mwink.gif, but as far as complexity it's not really that bad. Companies like Colorgraphic make some quite well thought-out cards (such as this PCI 8 output version, which I've personally set up for a client http://www.colorgraphic.net/newsite/products/xentera_gt8_models.html) which make it pretty easy to accomplish a setup like that.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Fred, I used two different LCDs on my Windows XP2 box, until I abandoned Windows and bought a MAC> WIn XP supports dual monitors natively.

So has the Mac, since the early 90's. The only caveat these days is that some Mac models come with a video card that doesn't (officially) support spanning, just mirroring. There's a hack that works around that limitation (though it probably also works around the warranty :D). But then again, XP has the same limitation, needing video card support.
  • Options
    negativehape1negativehape1 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 25, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    So has the Mac, since the early 90's. The only caveat these days is that some Mac models come with a video card that doesn't (officially) support spanning, just mirroring. There's a hack that works around that limitation (though it probably also works around the warranty :D). But then again, XP has the same limitation, needing video card support.

I HAVE a question i need to run dual screen off a geforce 6600gt i know there are 2 outputs and i think its possible but i dont have the dam plug that switchs 1 out put to the output i can use to plug the monitor in ((help me!))
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006

this is what I needed to do for my hookup-

you might need to provide more info-

what's the output or connection or what does it look like-

what's the monitor you're wanting to hook up- standard vga or something else-

I don't know that I can help but my guess is there's someone who can--just give them all the info that you can-
  • Options
    negativehape1negativehape1 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 25, 2006
    well i think it is simple like yours...i bought my graphics card it came with a plug that looks identical to the head of the monitor plug that u plug into the graphics card.....kinda hard to put it but i think if i find that it will work....well be back in like 30mins gonna clean my room and see if i cant find that dam plug
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Not to mention all the cussing and f-words emanated everytime a toe gets stubbed!

Art Scott wrote:
    Steve-o
  • Options
    tivedtived Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2006
    You can get a Matrox card which does 8 screens, but probably not your all that suited for photo editing, I think it is mainly for finance applications

You could also get yourself a couple of cards with Dual Link DVI and hook up 4 30" screens clap.gif , that wouldn't be too bad.

I run two Dell 24" off two nVidia Quadro FX 3400, though I get a sore neck headscratch.gif every now and then rolleyes1.gif ...should I feel weak, they could 'em SLI'ed and pop a game in the machine mwink.gif but that is probably unlikely to happen:cry

Henrik