Options

macro! help!!!

lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
edited June 6, 2006 in Technique
I see amazing macro shots of various bugs, etc. but for some reason I cannot do this. Is it me or the lens or both?! :dunno

I use a Sigma 105mm DG Macro lens on my Nikon D70.

People tell me I am not close enough. Yesterday I had a ladybug that was fully cooperative! I was inches away and still the same problems - not the detail I see others achieve and the DOF seems limited. I shoot in aperature priority and manual focus. I have tried AF and other modes but the results have been worse. I use a tripod for al of these shots along with the wireless remote. Nothing moves.

Here is example from last night -
(I posted this last night as well)

I was probably 6" away (not sure exact distance).

Is this the best I can do with this lens? Are people using some type of attachments or other items to realy get the detail?

I would really like to settle this once ad for all! Any help is appreciated.

Brian

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited June 6, 2006
    lr1811 wrote:
    I see amazing macro shots of various bugs, etc. but for some reason I cannot do this. Is it me or the lens or both?! ne_nau.gif

I use a Sigma 105mm DG Macro lens on my Nikon D70.

People tell me I am not close enough. Yesterday I had a ladybug that was fully cooperative! I was inches away and still the same problems - not the detail I see others achieve and the DOF seems limited. I shoot in aperature priority and manual focus. I have tried AF and other modes but the results have been worse. I use a tripod for al of these shots along with the wireless remote. Nothing moves.

Here is example from last night -
    (I posted this last night as well)

I was probably 6" away (not sure exact distance).

Is this the best I can do with this lens? Are people using some type of attachments or other items to realy get the detail?

I would really like to settle this once ad for all! Any help is appreciated.

Brian

Brian,

I see from your EXIF information two potential problems:

File: - C:\My Documents\My Pictures\LR1811_DSC_1647edit1post.jpg
    Make - NIKON CORPORATION
    Model - NIKON D70
    ExposureTime - 1/5 seconds
    FNumber - 4.00

1/5 sec is awfully long for hand-held. Most macro work is shot using electronic flash and very short duration shutter speed. Your D70 will sync up to 1/500th sec, and for macro work I would suggest anywhere from 1/125 to 1/500th sec.

The aperture was f4, which is very limited DOF. Much macro work is done from f8 to f22.

So try a shorter shutter speed and electronic flash and a smaller aperture and see if you get the results you're looking for.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited June 6, 2006
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums