Options

Yosemite

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited June 9, 2006 in Landscapes
I just gat back from Yosemite, and am I tired! Out of 7+ gigs of memory I think I might have a few (if I'm lucky) decent ones.

I was up at 3:30 am and hiked up to Sentinal Dome. I had the whole place to myself untill about 8:30 when one brave sole came by. Great views. I will post one later.

Here is a quick process job on one from Glacier Point.

Sam

Comments

• Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    I just gat back from Yosemite, and am I tired! Out of 7+ gigs of memory I think I might have a few (if I'm lucky) decent ones.

I was up at 3:30 am and hiked up to Sentinal Dome. I had the whole place to myself untill about 8:30 when one brave sole came by. Great views. I will post one later.

Here is a quick process job on one from Glacier Point.

Sam

If thats an example of the quality of shots you got, then I can't wait to see more! Beautiful photo, looks well worth the seriously early start to the day.
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
    One more, and I'm off to bed.

Sam
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Beautiful shot, Sam! I hope you have lots more like that. Yosemite is such an awesome place. The light is great and the sky is so incredibly blue in the first shot! I really love the 2nd one you just now posted while I was posting....gorgeous reflection. Good job!
  • Options
    firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    3:30?!???!!

holy crap...nice pic!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    The lake shot is seriously awesome!

What else can I say - oh, I know - The WOW factor is about a 9.9 out of 10! clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    I must go there some day.
    The 1.st was from an helicopter ?
    Supperb pictures.
    Thank you for showing us.
    More ? ...

thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    leekleek Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Yosemite is such a unique place... Can't wait to go back there again - this time with a decent camera... Thanks for the memories...
    Cheers, John

Leek's Smugmug Gallery
    Nikon D200, D70; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4; 18-70mm; 105mm; 80-400VR; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
    Thanks everybody for your comments. Antonio, the first shot is not from a helicopter. You can drive your car right to this location. The second photo is a wide spot in the flooded Merced River. When the water level recedes the "lake" will be no more.

One nice thing about Yosemite is you don't have to walk very far to be able to see some awesome sights, but if you want to do some hiking, then that will open a whole new world of sights.

I wish I could write well enough to convey how spectacular it was to hike up to Sentinel Dome in the chill early morning with the whole place all to myself. The trail is not well marked, and easy to loose, conveying the impression you are the first to travel this way. When I first saw the Dome rising high through the trees, I thought, I hope I don’t have to climb that! As you get closer you can see the Dome looming hundreds of feet above the surrounding land, and again wonder how am I going to get to the top of this thing? Again, no signs but it’s obvious you can’t go straight up so walking around to the right seems like a plan. Fortunately this gets you to the backside where while steep, you don’t need any ropes or Sherpas. Be extra careful on the snow packs. The top is about 50 yards (45.72 meters) across depending on how you define the top. It’s a Dome remember? Once there I dropped my pack, unloaded my camera, and proceeded to run all over the Dome like a squirrel hunting nuts. You feel like your standing at the top of the world, and this world is being exposed as the sun rises. The whole time not a sole was to be seen or heard.

I hope the following photos can give you a small idea of what I felt, and saw.

Sam

This is the start of the trail.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
    While not a good photo. Light was from the wrong angle, but I hope it will give you an idea of the view.
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Excellent Stuff Sam... thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
    I understand how you felt.
    Overwelmed !
    Smashed by the gradiosity of the place.
    Yes, it is fantastic.
    I have been in places where I felt this way ...
    Burma (Myanmar) Bagan, Argentina, Iguazu Fall, or India for example.
    Thank you for posting such a glorious moment.
    I've gota go there.
    thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    spudjerspudjer Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Great shots Sam...first two posted are beautiful.

Yosemite just moved to top of my list for next long vacation-location.

can't wait to see more!
    I'm worried about Gort. I'm afraid of what he might do, if anything should happen to me.:dood

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    Sam, your description of climbing the dome plus the photos was great. Sounds absolutely wonderful....one of those moments you will always remember, I'm sure. I haven't been there for about 25 years. I think it's time to go back!!! I went on a photo shoot-out back then. I never realized it was possible to climb up the back side of a dome. 11doh.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    That brings lasts years memorys back sam. That 1st one is great !! Hate those jet trails though..something we dont get here.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 8, 2006
    I love that first shot also, Sam. I think I understand your feeling hiking up to Sentinel Dome in the early morning twilight.

We could not get up there last year at the shootout as it was still closed by snow, as I am sure you remember.

While the younger and braver souls ascended to Angel's Landing during the recent shootout at Zion, I slowly hiked up behind the opposite mount, and captured this shot of the top of Angel's Landing. I think I kind of felt like you described after cresting Sentinel Dome.

74126344-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    gus wrote:
    That brings lasts years memorys back sam. That 1st one is great !! Hate those jet trails though..something we dont get here.

While in Monument Valley a few weeks ago, you could see dozens of jet trails crossing the sky behind the Monuments - It can be quite frustrating and annoying, Gus.

You don't have jet airplanes in Oz?? However in the world did you get to Yosemite last year?? ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    What jet trails? :splat

69632208-M.jpg

Smashing pics, Jeff. That first one's outstanding.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I love that first shot also, Sam. I think I understand your feeling hiking up to Sentinel Dome in the early morning twilight.

We could not get up there last year at the shootout as it was still closed by snow, as I am sure you remember.

While the younger and braver souls ascended to Angel's Landing during the recent shootout at Zion, I slowly hiked up behind the opposite mount, and captured this shot of the top of Angel's Landing. I think I kind of felt like you described after cresting Sentinel Dome.

74126344-M.jpg
    I like this picture very much because there are people in it.
    It gives us a sense of scale ... thumb.gif which is rather difficult to get in such a wild and unpopulated environment ...thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    I don't want to hijack Sam's thread, Antonio, but thank you.

I agree that having people in a landscape can help the viewer appreciate the grand scale of some things.

• Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    Great shots! I live on the east coast. If I ever make it out west Yosemite is on the top of my list of places to visit. It looks incredible.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    I like this picture very much because there are people in it.
    It gives us a sense of scale ... thumb.gif which is rather difficult to get in such a wild and unpopulated environment ...thumb.gif

I am the exact opposite, I like my landscape photos to be without people, roads, telephone poles, cars, etc. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Sam, your description of climbing the dome plus the photos was great. Sounds absolutely wonderful....one of those moments you will always remember, I'm sure. I haven't been there for about 25 years. I think it's time to go back!!! I went on a photo shoot-out back then. I never realized it was possible to climb up the back side of a dome. 11doh.gif

If you haven't been there in 25 years, your in for a big shock!

All the trails are longer and steeper than before. The altitude is higher. If camping the ground harder. The temps can be both hotter and colder than before. Exotic foods like hot dogs, and hambergers are very expensive. Almost forgot the mention the DAMN mosquitos!

But the good news is the views are even better than before. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2006
    Just a quick follow up and sharing: I reprocessed (carefully) the photo of Yosemite falls with the mountains reflected in the flood waters, printed it out at 10 X 15, and matted it with a black 16 X 20 mat.

When I took it to work, everyone, (ok not everyone, but most) said wow! I was even surprised at how much better it looked print.

Sam
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    While in Monument Valley a few weeks ago, you could see dozens of jet trails crossing the sky behind the Monuments - It can be quite frustrating and annoying, Gus.

You don't have jet airplanes in Oz?? However in the world did you get to Yosemite last year?? ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Dunno ne_nau.gif We seriously dont have many jet trails & if there is one...we all stand around looking at it. Warmer climate & no planes really cross left to right much.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    I am the exact opposite, I like my landscape photos to be without people, roads, telephone poles, cars, etc. :D

Sam
    I'm with you on this. I like my landscapes to be pristine - with the human sprawl and the intrusion of technology everywhere, it's nice to have something later to show what it "used to look like."