Ein-Karem, Jerusalem

NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
edited October 25, 2004 in Landscapes
Ein-Karem, Jerusalem

"But the angel said to him: 'Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John.. . He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth. . . And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous--to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.' " LUKE 1:13-17

10292111-L.jpg

10341484-M.jpg

One of the most beautiful settings near Jerusalem is Ein Karem, located in the hills next to a little spring. Though a small Judean village, the area is important to Christian visitors because of the memory of a priest named Zechariah and his wife Elizabeth who lived in the area in: "a town in the hill country of Judea" [Luke 1:39-40].
10341493-L.jpg

" At that time Mary . . .entered Zechariah's home and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. In a loud voice she exclaimed: "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! " [Luke 1:39-42].

10341487-L.jpg

10341491-L.jpg

Fifth-century Christians erected a church above a grotto believed to be John’s home. Rebuilt by the Crusaders, the church was restored in the 17th century, and decorated in a graceful Spanish style. He would be known, for all eternity, as St. John the Baptist.
10292104-L.jpg

10341480-L.jpg

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts

Comments

• happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    Nir

I really love how you have grouped this together... The images work well with the biblical narrative you have chosen. Im left pondering the rest of the story.

Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    Nir

I really love how you have grouped this together... The images work well with the biblical narrative you have chosen. Im left pondering the rest of the story.

Yvette
    Thanks Yvette for stopping by!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts