Options

Airport Photography

suntzusuntzu Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited June 7, 2006 in Technique
I'm heading out to the airport today (going to my cousin's wedding). I was wondering if it's okay for me to take picture of some of the stuff in the area past the baggage screening. I'm not talking about the stuff that can get you into trouble. Stuff like a cool statue or interesting shots of people.

I know you can't take pictures of the X-Ray machine, the metal detectors, etc...

I'm trying to "photoblog" my entire trip and I thought with 4 and half hours to kill, taking photos might not be a bad idea. But I don't want to know get tackled by Homeland Security and be late for my flight.

Comments

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    suntzu wrote:
    I'm heading out to the airport today (going to my cousin's wedding). I was wondering if it's okay for me to take picture of some of the stuff in the area past the baggage screening. I'm not talking about the stuff that can get you into trouble. Stuff like a cool statue or interesting shots of people.

I know you can't take pictures of the X-Ray machine, the metal detectors, etc...

I'm trying to "photoblog" my entire trip and I thought with 4 and half hours to kill, taking photos might not be a bad idea. But I don't want to know get tackled by Homeland Security and be late for my flight.

If you are on a tight schedule, I wouldn't. If you have some time to argue... Go for it.:):
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    Ask permission first, and remember who you got it from. I was able to semi-freely take pictures this way.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    If you are on a tight schedule, I wouldn't. If you have some time to argue... Go for it.:):
    Is 2 hours enough to argue? :D
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2006
    Ask permission first, and remember who you got it from. I was able to semi-freely take pictures this way.

Plus, as a bonus it gives you a reason to talk to the nice looking ladies. mwink.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    suntzu wrote:
    Plus, as a bonus it gives you a reason to talk to the nice looking ladies. mwink.gif
    Now that's a good idea.

I work at Cincinnati and I don't get inside the terminals but maybe once a week and I see people with point and shoot cameras all ove the place.

But if you pull out a 20 D with 70-200 /hood on I think you might be ask to step into the back room for a question or two.

I with Shay ask and tell what you are doing and I think you will be ok.
    When you get back let us know Id like to know.
    I ask at work too and see what they say too.

Fred
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Asking, I would guess, is about as garaunteed a "no" reply as, "want to spend the night Halle?"

I would consider coming up with a story, something simple and truthful, and simply 'alerting' the nearest official person(s) of what you are doing.

Just a thought, good luck.
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    I know of a few people that have called the airport. The airport officials were very helpful and even suggested possible photo areas for interesting shots. If you get permission, get a contact name and number cuz many people with a low level of authority like to toss their weight around just because they can.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    No stories!!!
    LeDude wrote:
    Asking, I would guess, is about as garaunteed a "no" reply as, "want to spend the night Halle?"
    No, totally wrong. Asking is the key to a worry free shoot. They are more likely to say yes and be cooperative if you ask.
    I would consider coming up with a story
    Bad idea. Just tell the simple truth. No need for "stories". That just makes it easier to slip up and tell an untruth or embellishment inadvertantly. No stories, just ask for permission to shoot. If quized let them know what and why.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2006
    Bad idea. Just tell the simple truth. No need for "stories".

He said to make it simple and truthful. I think the point here is to know what you're going to ask for and let them understand your motivation. When talking to them, confidence from certainty will create a better impression than fumbling for words.

"I'm a photographer and I've always been fascinated by airport architecture. If you want, you can see my website for examples of what I've done in other airports."

as opposed to

"um, 'cause I just wanted to take some pictures of the airport."

Nothing was mentioned about inventing any kind of fiction.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    Don't use stories & don't play games
    colourbox wrote:
    He said to make it simple and truthful. I think the point here is to know what you're going to ask for and what you're going to say. When talking to them, confidence from certainty will create a better impression than fumbling for words.

"I am a photographer and I have always been interested in the architecture of your airport. You can see my website for similar examples, if you like."

as opposed to

"um, because I just wanted to take some pictures of the airport."

Nothing was mentioned about inventing any kind of fiction.
    Yes, I know. However, the mentality of having a "story" is a bad one in my mind. Security people a keen to pick up on prerehearsed "stories". And as I mentioned, having the mentality of a story also may lead to embellishing or bending the story when under stress.

So to be on the safe side, I completely reject the idea of a story. Just go in there and ask. If questioned tell them straight up what you want.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    long version
    Shay wrote:
    Yes, I know. However, the mentality of having a "story" is a bad one in my mind. Security people a keen to pick up on prerehearsed "stories". And as I mentioned, having the mentality of a story also may lead to embellishing or bending the story when under stress.

So to be on the safe side, I completely reject the idea of a story. Just go in there and ask. If questioned tell them straight up what you want.
    My point was simply that as a matter of policy, if there is any doubt in the mind of the person being asked, "can I take pictures?," the reply is going to be negative. Why would someone put themselves out on a limb? No is easy. So you need to have a plan... even if it is wrong and you still get denied, you'll learn more than if you just ask and get a quick no. Calling in advance is a good idea and one I had not thought of.

Whatever the case may be, don't lie!! Good god, that's a risk I wouldn't fathom running. Maybe story is a bad word, but I don't know another way to say, 'act like you've been there before.'

Ever walk through a ghetto? Try walking like you are unsure of what's coming next if you're brave. Or, walk like you've been there before, belong there now and don't really give a shit what happens because you know how to handle it... much, much safer (even if none of the above are true... you're are not lieing by being mentally prepared and confident).

What the hell do I know? Well, taking pictures at live shows is analogous... I'm no master, but I'm also usually not on the "in" and I usually am not denied. That said, I alwys ask permission from musicians, but I ask as a confirmation, not to "find out."

So, my advice, take a confident tack and say something like,
    "I am a professional photographer (or amatuer, whichever the case may be)-here's my card-and I plan to take some photos in (name the terminal or something) for the next 60 minutes before my flight. Okay with you?"

Call ahead for sure, but don't give the security guard a chance for the easy "NO" ... make it an easy "Yeah sure."

-Rich
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    don't give the security guard a chance for the easy "NO" ... make it an easy "Yeah sure."

You don't ask security guards, they can't give permission. Ask the staff or management, they are the only ones who can.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    You don't ask security guards, they can't give permission. Ask the staff or management, they are the only ones who can.

fair 'nuff
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    You sure dont want to ask a TSA agent the answer would be no.

They had me "try" once to x-ray a fiberglass ladder it got stuck in the machine:uhoh

Sometimes I think they watch and check out the employees more then the passengers.ne_nau.gif

I like to know is who checked them out. :D

Fred
  • Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    My point was simply that as a matter of policy, if there is any doubt in the mind of the person being asked, "can I take pictures?," the reply is going to be negative. Why would someone put themselves out on a limb? No is easy. So you need to have a plan... even if it is wrong and you still get denied, you'll learn more than if you just ask and get a quick no. Calling in advance is a good idea and one I had not thought of.

Whatever the case may be, don't lie!! Good god, that's a risk I wouldn't fathom running. Maybe story is a bad word, but I don't know another way to say, 'act like you've been there before.'

Ever walk through a ghetto? Try walking like you are unsure of what's coming next if you're brave. Or, walk like you've been there before, belong there now and don't really give a shit what happens because you know how to handle it... much, much safer (even if none of the above are true... you're are not lieing by being mentally prepared and confident).

What the hell do I know? Well, taking pictures at live shows is analogous... I'm no master, but I'm also usually not on the "in" and I usually am not denied. That said, I alwys ask permission from musicians, but I ask as a confirmation, not to "find out."

So, my advice, take a confident tack and say something like,
    "I am a professional photographer (or amatuer, whichever the case may be)-here's my card-and I plan to take some photos in (name the terminal or something) for the next 60 minutes before my flight. Okay with you?"

Call ahead for sure, but don't give the security guard a chance for the easy "NO" ... make it an easy "Yeah sure."

-Rich

Don't know whether it works with airports yet, but I ususally say "I'm a photogrpaher and am part of a photo hosting site that runs bi weekly challenges & this weeks challenge is ......... Would you mind if I take some/your pics...... Hasn't failed yet! BUt given the current climate its probaby a good idea to ask persmission first if you can. At least that way you've got the option of saying "but ........ from the Authority said that it was perfectly fine....). Maybe even get it in writing if you can.

Hope that helps
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
    Well, it's me reporting back! :D

Here's how things broke down according to airport:

PDX: Nobody said anything. I didn't take pictures of people though because nothing interesting was going on. But taking pictures of the advertisements (the one with the dummy "rock climbing" the wall) and some of the structures was fine.

LAX: Funny story. My flight from LAX to SNA got cancelled (next one was at 11:00 the next day) so I called my cousin to pick me up. While I was waiting there, I got bored and asked the ticket security guy if I could take some pictures. He said I could with a look of, "Why wouln't you be able to?"

So I took some pictures of the garden they have there and of that LAX Dome thing. THAT I thought would get me questioned (there were lots of cops that night).

I think the fact that I looked bored out of my mind helped with taking pictures.

SNA (the way home): They have this small external terminal (Gate 1A) and I was there taking pictures of the actual plane that was going to get me to LAX. It was a really small plane offered my United. They didn't say anything (unless I'm now tagged with Homeland security rolleyes1.gif)

I guess I worried for nothing. Maybe it has to do with the way you look (I was wearing cargo shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops). In hindsight, I think it's easier to take a lot of pictures if you have people traveling with you. People basically think you're crazy tourist trying to snap pictures of everything in sight. :D
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2006
    suntzu wrote:
    Well, it's me reporting back! :D

Here's how things broke down according to airport:

PDX: Nobody said anything. I didn't take pictures of people though because nothing interesting was going on. But taking pictures of the advertisements (the one with the dummy "rock climbing" the wall) and some of the structures was fine.

LAX: Funny story. My flight from LAX to SNA got cancelled (next one was at 11:00 the next day) so I called my cousin to pick me up. While I was waiting there, I got bored and asked the ticket security guy if I could take some pictures. He said I could with a look of, "Why wouln't you be able to?"

So I took some pictures of the garden they have there and of that LAX Dome thing. THAT I thought would get me questioned (there were lots of cops that night).

I think the fact that I looked bored out of my mind helped with taking pictures.

SNA (the way home): They have this small external terminal (Gate 1A) and I was there taking pictures of the actual plane that was going to get me to LAX. It was a really small plane offered my United. They didn't say anything (unless I'm now tagged with Homeland security rolleyes1.gif)

I guess I worried for nothing. Maybe it has to do with the way you look (I was wearing cargo shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops). In hindsight, I think it's easier to take a lot of pictures if you have people traveling with you. People basically think you're crazy tourist trying to snap pictures of everything in sight. :D
    Good glad there was no problems
    Man I have more trouble shooting around my city then you did at the airport(s) ne_nau.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    No, totally wrong. Asking is the key to a worry free shoot. They are more likely to say yes and be cooperative if you ask.

Bad idea. Just tell the simple truth. No need for "stories". That just makes it easier to slip up and tell an untruth or embellishment inadvertantly. No stories, just ask for permission to shoot. If quized let them know what and why.
    I find myself in complete agreement with the man with a broken hard drive.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au