Options

Business name / website address???'s

CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
edited June 8, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi everyone,

My business name is Inspiring Designs which I started years ago. When first opening years ago I made and sold lots of personalized products but due to customer demand my sole reason for existing now is 'photography'. I never expected nor dreamed photography would take the main seat, it just happened and I absolutly love it. To make a long story short... Back then I took pictures for the products people wanted because they had none... they ended up wanting to buy the photos more than the products... so I started studying photography and have grown from there.

My questions and concerns:
- Does Inspiring Designs the name fit a photography business?
Lots of poeple tell me they love the name but I'm not so sure it fits anymore. I don't really want to change because of the pain of having to change state & local licenses, etc but will if need be.
- I purchased the domain name www.inspiringdesigns.net long ago but the .com is not available. Is the .net enough or should I keep trying to find something where the .com is available?

Sorry for rambling on. This is just something that I've been wondering about quite abit & so thought I'd run it by all you wonderful smugmuggers.

Have a Great Day!
Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!

Recommended Website Address? 9 votes

[url]www.inspiringdesigns.net[/url] (I own the .net but not the .com)
66% 6 votes
[url]www.IDPbyCindy.com[/url]
11% 1 vote
Other
22% 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    First impression i get if I type in www.inspiringdesigns.net is...

Graphic design/Web design Company
    or artist as in paint and paper.

how about inspiredimages.us.com thats available
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    You could just add photography to the end of your name for the website.

or have the main page link to do your different business

or have photography/domain.net aka subdomain. Changing your company name might be hard for your customers to follow.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    I agree changing my business name now would be confusing to customers so I've been adding photography & more to all my business stuff so it looks like: "Inspiring Designs Photography & More"
    however that's way to long for a website address and people are always asking me how to spell 'Inspiring'. But then again right now it's simply id. smugmug and they're always asking with a raised eyebrow how to spell that rolleyes1.gif

What about going with IDPbyCindy.com?
    shortened for Inspiring Designs Photography by Cindy
    Do you'll think it would be easy enough for customers to recall & more importantly type in? Or would I be better off just going with my name?
    Seems allmost everything I really like is allreay taken :uhoh
  • Options
    camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Getting a .us.com domain will confuse customers.

Using the second name, with "pby" in it will confuse customers.

A domain name should be short and memorable. Getting a .com over a .net is not nearly as important today as it was five years ago. The general public is a lot more educated on top-level domains these days, and a .net is no longer confusing.

I think your .net domain works perfectly for you, if you're happy with the name.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    Getting a .us.com domain will confuse customers.quote]

Agreed.
    cambler wrote:
    Using the second name, with "pby" in it will confuse customers.quote]

Right now customers still know my web address as id.smugmug.com
    so my web address will be changing to remove smugmug regardless.

So since the web address is changing regardless would it be best to change it to match my current business name and e-mail (inspiringdesigns.net) even though the .com isn't available or would I be better off using something like IDbyCindy.com ?

Thanks for everyone's input.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    cambler wrote:
    Getting a .us.com domain will confuse customers.

Agreed.
    cambler wrote:
    Using the second name, with "pby" in it will confuse customers.

Right now customers still know my web address as id.smugmug.com
    so my web address will be changing to remove smugmug regardless.

So since the web address is changing regardless would it be best to change it to match my current business name and e-mail (inspiringdesigns.net) even though the .com isn't available or would I be better off using something like IDbyCindy.com ?

Thanks for everyone's input.
    how about www.cindylastname.com ?
  • Options
    Vitamin deeVitamin dee Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 24, 2006
    Cindy,

I'm having the same issue. I started out as a graphic design business, specializing in Logos and designing tshirts...then I got into photography and that's what has taken off.

Until I can decide, I've just kept the "designs" part of my name, but had the site reflect the busness of Tshirt / graphic design (logos)/ and photography.

ne_nau.gif

changing my mind right now is also going cost money...so I'm playing it by ear right now.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    I second that as this is what I've done, too. I want to get away from the nicknames, because with them people might have the wrong impressions on what you do while your real name is just you. They see your face and your name will pop up - with it also comes your sitename.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2006
    That would be cindyutterback.com
    cindy is simple and but utterback... :D hmmmmmm - I don't know. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    FrankFrank Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    That would be cindyutterback.com
    cindy is simple and but utterback... :D hmmmmmm - I don't know. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Hi Cindy,

Maybe a combination of the previous suggestions would help.

Keep your existing domainname. Register any new or alternate names, but have them all point to the same web site (aliases in internet speak).

For example: I have MountainMeadowDesign.com, but to avoid having oversized business cards :):, I also registered mtnmdw.com. Both go to the same page, but if someone can't remember the abbreviated name, they can always type out the long name to get there.

I've also registered FirstnameLastname.com, but haven't done the alias yet. I think this would be much easier for some people to remember.

If you are trying to think up new domain names, check out sites like http://www.nameboy.com. Not only do they make suggestions ,but they list availability.

Have Fun,

- Frank
    .... .- ...- . .- -. .. -.-. . -.. .- -.--
    "Whether you're rich or you're poor, it's nice to have Money!" - Alfred E. Newman
  • Options
    camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2006
    As a general rule, any domain where you have to spell-out letters or pronounce the word "dash" is bad.

From the suggestions seen so far, I would stick with the .net you have and use that.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2006
    Thank you to everyone for all your input. You've made making my decision so super much easier. There's still time to vote if anyone cares to but I believe I'll go with the .net address and later add firstlastname address. Can I have both point to my smugmug site? I'll be setting up the .net one via the c-name thing asap but to also use cindyutterback . com could that be done via alias??? I think I recall reading that wasn't possible with smugmug sites or maybe just that it caused problems???

Again - Thank you so super much :): and have a great day everyone!
    Cindy
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Can I have both point to my smugmug site? I'll be setting up the .net one via the c-name thing asap but to also use cindyutterback . com could that be done via alias??? I think I recall reading that wasn't possible with smugmug sites or maybe just that it caused problems???
    You can build cname chains. So when you get your cindy.com just set it up with a cname to your .net and you should be fine.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    NanditaNandita Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    I would use with cindyshutterbug.com . :): Your last name is so close to shutter bug that it begs to be used.

I, personally, spent weeks trying to find the right dot "com". I think people don't pay enough attention and assume it's .com . I'd hate for them to go to the wrong address, kwim.

Have fun.
    Cheers,
    Nandita
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    my experience
    cambler wrote:
    Getting a .com over a .net is not nearly as important today as it was five years ago. The general public is a lot more educated on top-level domains these days, and a .net is no longer confusing.

I used to have a .net domain. But after watching three different people type in "myolddomain.com" while I was standing over their shoulder and had just told them my url (including the .net part), I decided that this was probably happening plenty of times when I wasn't around. Many, many folks just add a .com to whatever url you tell them.

I switched from a business name .net to my own name .com and in my experience, it's a whole lot easier for folks to remember and get right.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+