Options

Men's Lighweight Eights at The Head of the Charles Regatta

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 26, 2004 in Sports
Shot from the Elliot Bridge 24 October 2004.

One thing I learned is that "lightweight" refers to the weight of the rowers and not the boat. Another thing I learned is that the start is staggered by about 10 seconds so the order of finish doesn't necessarily determine the winner. In most of the races I watched, though, the #1 boat finished well over 10 seconds ahead of the #2 boart.

10365239-L.jpg

10365301-L.jpg

10365453-L.jpg

Here the 4th seeded boat (Princeton) has passed the 3rd seeded boat (which I can't identify) which means they had to overtake them.

10365519-L.jpg

10384851-L.jpg

10385115-L.jpg

10385224-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    BTW, they call it "men's", but notice the femaile coxswains. My bet is that the "men's" races are actually open, but the women's races are limited to women only. But there are probably no (few?) women who can or choose to compete with the men.

Does anyone know if this is true?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited October 26, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    BTW, they call it "men's", but notice the femaile coxswains. My bet is that the "men's" races are actually open, but the women's races are limited to women only. But there are probably no (few?) women who can or choose to compete with the men.

Does anyone know if this is true?
    I'm pretty sure the cox can be either male or female. There is a minimum weight
    requirement and if the cox doesn't meet it, they have to carry additional
    weight.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?