Options

Fun at the horse track.

aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
edited October 27, 2004 in Sports
I was at the Santa Anita horse track (where Seabiscuit was filmed) the other day. I had a little fun with the camera while I was there. This was my first attempt at some action shots with horses. :) Input is welcome as always...

10276785-M.jpg

10276787-M.jpg

This one really needed a fill flash. Doh.

10276789-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    aero-nut wrote:
    I was at the Santa Anita horse track (where Seabiscuit was filmed) the other day. I had a little fun with the camera while I was there. This was my first attempt at some action shots with horses. :) Input is welcome as always...

10276785-S.jpg

10276787-S.jpg
    Great subject. Shooting this kind of action shot takes practice. You seem to have sharp focus on the background and not on the horses and riders. This often happens to me when shooting action. You have to be very deliberate about focus in these situations. Here, I think more background blur and a tack sharp foreground would be better. in this particular situation, you could prefocus manually and use a large aperature. This would have the added benefit of giving you a fast shutter and short shutter lag.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Great subject. Shooting this kind of action shot takes practice. You seem to have sharp focus on the background and not on the horses and riders. This often happens to me when shooting action. You have to be very deliberate about focus in these situations. Here, I think more background blur and a tack sharp foreground would be better. in this particular situation, you could prefocus manually and use a large aperature. This would have the added benefit of giving you a fast shutter and short shutter lag.
    Ahh, good point. I see what you mean. Having the large ap. will help bring the focus to the action instead of the background. I'll try that next time.

Thanks for the great comments.