Options

CANON EF 2X II Extender

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited February 9, 2004 in Accessories
I've been eyeing one of these for a while... just in case I get a Canon dSLR. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with it? I'd use it to boost a 200 lens. I understand that I'd lose a couple of stops in speed. And there have been complaints about graininess and loss of contrast. :ear

2x.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 8, 2004
    I'd love to know too. I have surfer friends who are always asking me to go down to Santa Cruz and give 'em some shots. I can't get close enough with my 70-200 and 10D.

2X should exactly cut the f-stop in half, correct? 2.8 > 5.6, etc. I can live with that in bright light.

What I'd really like is one of those pimp-daddy f2.8 Canon 400mm zooms that you put on a monopod. The pics from that thing are so sweet.

242391-M-1.jpg

173975-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2004
    186152.jpg
    400/2.8L IS USM. It even comes with a case. :) Slap a 2x TC on there and you are in business! I'll bet you could capture the surfer's nosehairs.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    Stunt ClownStunt Clown Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2004
    -Pete-

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
    Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2004
    thumb.gif Great link, thanks. They're saying the same thing I read in reviews of the thing. Sounds like the 1.5 is better if you want to shoot action.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited February 9, 2004
    Baldy,

Cruise over to Keeble & Shuchat and rent one for a day (the lens, not
    the 2x). I bet you could rent one of those really huge 600's.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2004
    I have both the 1.4 and 2.0 extenders. I have not run a direct test, the 2.0 is decent, especially when weight and size are an issue. The biggest detraction is is will slow the AF more than the 1.4.