10422225-L.jpg

10422216-L.jpg

10422223-L.jpg

10422222-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    I love the last 2, Damonff. Very powerful. Nice fall colors in the first.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I love the last 2, Damonff. Very powerful. Nice fall colors in the first.

Thanks Sid...
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    Damon, I like them, too. I even like the first one, actually the first one with the walk home is more like I remember elementary school.

Can I add one, of course mine is posed, it is a record shot for the people involved. They are waiting for their mother, the mother of the two kids on the right to come out and walk the two kids on the right to the bus stop. This is in a suburb, Woodbridge, south of DC.

10096186-L.jpg

The girls are in first grade, Jackson is in pre-school, but he likes the walk. I like this because these are little suburban kids. And I guess because the two on the right are my grandkids.

ginger

I love your photos, Damon. I never even saw DC when I was "there". We didn't have time. I would prefer to see it by myself anyway. I could tell that my daughter gets antsy when I am "working".
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2004
    Thanks Ginger...
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    D.C.

10422216-L.jpg

10422222-L.jpg
    Damon
    I really like these 2, great composition. The contrast in the B&W is excellent.thumb.gif

Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2004
    Damon
    I really like these 2, great composition. The contrast in the B&W is excellent.thumb.gif

Yvette

Thanks Yvette...
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    10422216-S.jpg

Perfect composition and powerful subject working together. The face is partly obscured, but the body language is so clear that it doesn't matter. This is one of the best Damons ever.

10422223-S.jpg

Fine composition, subject matter, and capture. But I'd like to see the shadows on the faces opened up. In this case the body language doesn't tell the whole story.

10422222-S.jpg

Here is a use of B&W that works! The drama here is greatly increased by the black clad body of the girl; this would work all by itself as an abstract painting. But there is also a very interesting story here, though ambigious. How does this girl feel about school and her teacher? Is she a good student or just a good dresser? How does the teacher feel about here. I could write many different stories to go with this picture, all answering these questions differetnly. Maybe this picture would benefit from a title? Don't spoil the ambiguity too much, give a clue. For example, "Jane Student and Robert Teacher, XX Public School, October 2004". The names you use can give a clue. Or "Student Presentation". Or "Homework Overdue". You get the idea.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2004
    Thanks Rutt...I need to keep the title thing in mind.
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Here is a use of B&W that works! The drama here is greatly increased by the black clad body of the girl; this would work all by itself as an abstract painting. But there is also a very interesting story here, though ambigious. How does this girl feel about school and her teacher? Is she a good student or just a good dresser? How does the teacher feel about here. I could write many different stories to go with this picture, all answering these questions differetnly. Maybe this picture would benefit from a title? Don't spoil the ambiguity too much, give a clue. For example, "Jane Student and Robert Teacher, XX Public School, October 2004". The names you use can give a clue. Or "Student Presentation". Or "Homework Overdue". You get the idea.
    In my little opinion (for what its worth), I can see what you are saying rutt.... but (you could see that coming Im sure) I think that sometimes the best thing about photography is that its about the viewers interpretation, and this can change depending on the viewers mood/environment (etc)... I know that I can look at an image today and see a certain 'something', then look in a few days time and see something else.... Titles can be good/useful/interesting, but they can also detract from the viewers experience (im sure they can add too)... I think I am trying to be far too diplomatic here... For me, I like to look at an image and think about what it says to me (with no guidance) - that way I can interpret what it is saying to me at that particular moment. EG: the B&W image of the 2 people.... I looked at this image and saw 2 teachers (not a teacher and a student as you interpreted) and a number of other things (as you have mentioned)... to me this is great as we both look at the same image, yet come to different conclusions... as there is nothing that has 'guided' us to the same conclusion...
    OH, the beauty of photography!
    Bit of a rave, but as I said. just my opinion.
    NOTE: For the record, I do at times see the value in titles.

Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2004
    They are 2 teachers...
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2004
    For me, I like to look at an image and think about what it says to me (with no guidance) - that way I can interpret what it is saying to me at that particular moment. EG: the B&W image of the 2 people.... I looked at this image and saw 2 teachers (not a teacher and a student as you interpreted) and a number of other things (as you have mentioned)... to me this is great as we both look at the same image, yet come to different conclusions... as there is nothing that has 'guided' us to the same conclusion...
    OH, the beauty of photography!
    Bit of a rave, but as I said. just my opinion.
    NOTE: For the record, I do at times see the value in titles.

Yvette
    Good points. I even mostly agree. And not all photographs need titles. But I find there is something about a lot of Damon's best work that is very narrative and that just cries out for some words. And not even just to explain or disambiguate. A cryptic title might do. In this case, something completely factual like "XYZ School, Washington, DC, 2004" I really don't know why I feel this about Damon's work. My all time favorite photographer, Henri Cartier-Bresson" always gave short titles to his work, often no more than a date and place. Other greats, Avedon and Penn, for example, often didn't. I suppose Damon's work reminds me of Cartier-Bresson and that's why I want him to do it. Also it's another channel of communicate with the viewer.

Still, this is just a suggestion. Ultimately, it's Damon's choice to make.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2004
    I agree that I need to put titles on some works, if only to tell the viewer where and when it was taken. I need to get out of lazy photographer mode and realize that photographs sometimes (often) need words, if not only dates. One of my favorite HCB photos (from HCB in India) has only the city (Ahmedabad) and the date (1966). This is enough I think. It gives you the place and the time and this allows the viewer to put him or herself in the situation. Perhaps since my work is new I neglect this. I need to think about the future and people who may be looking (I hope) at my photos in the future and may have no point of reference for Black students in the inner city in 2004.